onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

page out now

steauavaliant

Advert

Hes had the run over us in the last few derbies. He wants to play good attacking football. Hes at a club with no money for first team investment. Yet doesnt complain and isnt afraid to blood youngsters if they good enough. Would like to see what he could do with investment in say a backbone/spine of a team, whilst still bringing through good young prospects

I think hes better than hes given credit for and just doesnt get financial backing ftom the club. IMHO.

If not Page then who? My choices would be:

Him from Rochdale

Dean Saunders

Lee Clarke

Gareth Ainsworth

Darren Ferguson

Steve Davies

All of the above but not Saunders, Kieth Hill from Rochdale would be fantastic, but with them doing so well would he want to move. As others have pointed to I could see it being Ferguson if anyone.

The only experience managers in our price bracket are ones who've failed somewhere else and quite a few have failed somewhere with significant budgets. For me Page deserves a pre season and a chance to give it a go with his own players. While the comments about not getting the defence sorted have some validity as a general rule teams aren't going to let good centre-backs go during the season - if they're any good they're in the team and Innes was a great shout from nowhere. Page is in a better position than a new manager to decide who in the squad he wants to keep and let go and has been in a position to look at potential signings for next year. Bottom line is we're in a better position than before he took over with mainly the same players. 3 of the 4 most successful managers since the 70s have all had no experience elsewhere - Lee, McGrath and Rudge and we got relegated at the end of Rudge's first season.

You'd take no end product and a crap league position as long as you got to witness a toothless defeat at Wembley in the Johnstones Paint Trophy Final?

I wouldn't bother with the hassle of a Managerial change if you consider that to be enough success. I'd prefer to see what Page did in the Summer.

I haven't taken that to be enough success, merely responding to your ludicrous suggestion that as we've taken 10 out of 12 points from them then Smith is a worse manager than Adams/Page. I'm not saying he's the best thing since sliced bread, but he has done well bearing in mind they have a much lower budget than us (I believe) with by and large lower gates. They are certainly a more attractive side to watch than us that's for sure. I too would love to have Rosler, but it just won't happen. Similarly with Steve Davis. At least Smith would be a realistic target.

Let me just say that I have said that on balance Page should - subject of course to us surviving this season - be allowed to continue but, I reiterate, I hope to God he has already started his planning otherwise he may find himself unemployed by October if we have a repeat of last year.

I haven't taken that to be enough success, merely responding to your ludicrous suggestion that as we've taken 10 out of 12 points from them then Smith is a worse manager than Adams/Page. I'm not saying he's the best thing since sliced bread, but he has done well bearing in mind they have a much lower budget than us (I believe) with by and large lower gates. They are certainly a more attractive side to watch than us that's for sure. I too would love to have Rosler, but it just won't happen. Similarly with Steve Davis. At least Smith would be a realistic target.

Let me just say that I have said that on balance Page should - subject of course to us surviving this season - be allowed to continue but, I reiterate, I hope to God he has already started his planning otherwise he may find himself unemployed by October if we have a repeat of last year.

How on earth you can say that I don't know.

Walsall have been one of the worst teams I have seen over the past few seasons. I don't know how their fans cope with watching them chase games by rolling the ball out to a full back and passing it 20 times before they reach the half way line.

I don't really get the obsession with passing it loads being seen as attractive. For me a quick, direct pacey side is by far and away the best teams to watch.

How on earth you can say that I don't know.

Walsall have been one of the worst teams I have seen over the past few seasons. I don't know how their fans cope with watching them chase games by rolling the ball out to a full back and passing it 20 times before they reach the half way line.

I don't really get the obsession with passing it loads being seen as attractive. For me a quick, direct pacey side is by far and away the best teams to watch.

I don't disagree, but what irritates me and from the comments other Bycars Enders, is that time and again, we have teams coming to Vale Park which pass us off the park and basically control the game. How many times have we dominated the possession stats this year??? And I admit, no one wants passing for passings sake, but we have already lost 7 (?) at home and been out-footballed by the European greats such as Crawley and Crewe. So my own simple mind tells me ain't working.

I believe it was you that suggested Smith was a 'worse' manager than Page.

I was just stating that we may aswell keep Page if were going to go with a manager of a team that is proving to be having a similar season and not having done anything spectacular prior to that.

Hes had the run over us in the last few derbies. He wants to play good attacking football. Hes at a club with no money for first team investment. Yet doesnt complain and isnt afraid to blood youngsters if they good enough. Would like to see what he could do with investment in say a backbone/spine of a team, whilst still bringing through good young prospects

I think hes better than hes given credit for and just doesnt get financial backing ftom the club. IMHO.

I honestly thought you were on a wind up, I apologise.

All I can say is I hope we really are doing some planning for next year behind the scenes, because if not, I think things will be difficult. The club really don't help themselves though. After the mess that was left first time around, who seriously thought that Glover would be welcomed back into the management fold with open arms??? Surely it might have been suggested to Page that his standing amongst fans might be enhanced by disassociating himself from the old guard???

Jim Gannon was a loon in many ways, but he certainly realised what was wrong at the club on and off the field. In hindsight he'd obviously have been better preserving the status quo given where we were in the table at the time and overhauling in the summer, but he did give us Jay OShea, Morsy, Romaine Sawyers and Popey as I recall.

even sinnott said that there needed a root and branch ridout.

Archived