onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Player Contracts

I would agree with that, but I also think we have very little hope of keeping Oconnor and Marshall and need to be prepared for them to leave.

Why? I believe that Smurf and Page are showing they mean to have a good go at it next season and O'Connor/Marshall will be vital parts of our new build. With deadwood as described by most fans on here to be shown the door or loaned out there will be massive scope to put that saved salary bill to good effect in luring in the so called better players we need to compete at the top.

Have faith, Vale are on the way up after consolidation this year(which is all we ever dreamed about).

Advert

Why? I believe that Smurf and Page are showing they mean to have a good go at it next season and O'Connor/Marshall will be vital parts of our new build. With deadwood as described by most fans on here to be shown the door or loaned out there will be massive scope to put that saved salary bill to good effect in luring in the so called better players we need to compete at the top.

Have faith, Vale are on the way up after consolidation this year(which is all we ever dreamed about).

I think the way to get MOC to sign is to sell him the dream & tie him down to longer than a year. If Smurf and Pagey can convince him through both a vision and actions (ie signings) that we are going to push on and they want him to be part of it, why not offer him three years so he can move closer than Lincoln, knowing his career is going in the right direction and with the security of a long contract.

I think the way to get MOC to sign is to sell him the dream & tie him down to longer than a year. If Smurf and Pagey can convince him through both a vision and actions (ie signings) that we are going to push on and they want him to be part of it, why not offer him three years so he can move closer than Lincoln, knowing his career is going in the right direction and with the security of a long contract.

Thats why I say I think Marshall and Oconnor won't sign because I don't think the contract we can afford to offer will be good enough or long enough. Not being negative just realistic

Thats why I say I think Marshall and Oconnor won't sign because I don't think the contract we can afford to offer will be good enough or long enough. Not being negative just realistic

Not sure about Marshall,JJJ,but I think we may have to give Okey 'an offer he can't refuse.' Anyone got Luca Brasi's number?

Understand that mate, but Smurf must now realise that these 2 need to be secured on longer contracts. It may upset some that we are discussing giving realistic contracts to some players and Tom is seen to be "missing out" though. However Smurf has to juggle wage/contract realities with what he and Page honestly see as a way forward for our club. O'Connor has to be offered something to make him and his family think hard and long about and still feel wanted by us.

If anyone goes close season it will be because either we've given them the heave ho or their agent has got them somewhere more lucrative.

This depends on whether anyone else comes in for them. Expect a lot of horse trading before we kick off in the summer.

I think I am correct and sayin the O'Connor has not relocated from Lincoln where I believe he resides, and has therefore not trained every day with the squad. Now some may say that he doesn't need to, just wondering on how much of ,if any that will have on, as if he will or will not renew as well if you get my drift.

Understand that mate, but Smurf must now realise that these 2 need to be secured on longer contracts. It may upset some that we are discussing giving realistic contracts to some players and Tom is seen to be "missing out" though. However Smurf has to juggle wage/contract realities with what he and Page honestly see as a way forward for our club. O'Connor has to be offered something to make him and his family think hard and long about and still feel wanted by us.

The thing is, Tom was probably given a really good contract, based on one really good season. Possibly, but not definitely, more than he was worth.

Sadly, if it's a case of lose Pope to keep Marshall and O'Connor, it's a no brainer.

I think I am correct and sayin the O'Connor has not relocated from Lincoln where I believe he resides, and has therefore not trained every day with the squad. Now some may say that he doesn't need to, just wondering on how much of ,if any that will have on, as if he will or will not renew as well if you get my drift.

That's the key and its something the chairman has alluded to, if we can offer him a longer term contract and bumper contract as we did with Pope a couple of years ago I'd take that over breaking the bank again to keep Pope.

That's the key and its something the chairman has alluded to' date=' if we can offer him a longer term contract and bumper contract as we did with Pope a couple of years ago I'd take that over breaking the bank again to keep Pope.[/quote']

They say no one player makes a team but IMO we have 2 that are key to our future and the team needs to be built around them and that's O'Connor & Neal, and as everybody else is sayin we all know the ones that need to be released.

I would be more inclined to make sure we kept Sam Johnson before Chris Neal. Almost all the top goalkeepers are at least 6' 5" and all Sam needs is experience. Whereas I think Neal is the best keeper we have had since Goodlad, I also believe he has flaws, such as not being alert to shots from outside the penalty area and also his reluctance to really command his six yard box. If Sam is allowed to play to gain more experience and also as he fills out and get's stronger he will get even better. I believe he could be our future No 1. He could help the team when defending corners and actually catching the crosses which come in at height. How many headers did Innis win from corners etc while he was here, which was because of his height. Neal is not tall enough for me to be our future.

Archived