onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crawley 1 Port Vale 2 - Post Match Comments

Caz or caz123

I just typed out a list of Vale keepers over the last 53 years and gave my favourites, but my posting seems to have gone TU and I can't be bothered to repeat it. Suffice it to say, my favourites would be Hancock, Southall, Harrison, Grew, Mussy, Goodlad. It's hard to compare people, when we've been in different divisions.

I've followed the Vale over many fine and not so fine years and there are several names in your list that I recognize and not sagely in agreement with - but, and I may have spent the occasional lengthy period in a Tibetan monestary and missed a few periods, but who were, and more importantly why were they so revered; Hancock and Harrison?

Points-with-Bone

Advert

I just typed out a list of Vale keepers over the last 53 years and gave my favourites, but my posting seems to have gone TU and I can't be bothered to repeat it. Suffice it to say, my favourites would be Hancock, Southall, Harrison, Grew, Mussy, Goodlad. It's hard to compare people, when we've been in different divisions.

'jimmy o'neil must come before harrison grew or mussy and southall was not a vale player he was a loanee.

I've followed the Vale over many fine and not so fine years and there are several names in your list that I recognize and not sagely in agreement with - but, and I may have spent the occasional lengthy period in a Tibetan monestary and missed a few periods, but who were, and more importantly why were they so revered; Hancock and Harrison?

Points-with-Bone

Ken Hancock, FA Cup win against Sunderland and Clough, also Liverpool a late defeat in extra time of the replay, stand out in my mind. I also had the pleasure of watching the great one .... Ray King.

Macc Lad summed it up quite well, it soon became obvious it was going to be a game we weren't going to lose as Crawley were simply awful and when the first goal came it was no surprise whatsoever.

Once we had took the lead we seemed to settle more but strangely enough I thought Crawley were coming back at us when we got our second and that really was game over.

The defence were really solid and I can't pick out any of them who stood out over the others. Neal was having a relatively easy time of it and the only threat seemed to be if we ourselves went asleep.

Midfield looked far stronger with much more of an attacking threat.

After half time Crawley upped their game somewhat (although to be honest that wasn't hard) but Vale still had 2/3 golden opportunities to kill the game off. Neal's penalty save was definitely greeted by the cheer of the day and try as they did Crawley just could not get past our stubborn defence.

Finally they got a goal from what seemed a 'hit-and-hope' shot from their sub but anyone suggesting Vale were then under pressure for the last few minutes would be wrong.

All in all a very very poor Crawley side and although we were no World-Beaters each player played their part in a very valuable 3 points.

A mention for 2 players in particular (although that's not meant to take anything from the others who all deserve a mention) :

Willo, played the lone furrow up-front and did not disgrace himself at al. Ran his socks off and although he easily gets pushed off the ball at times, he never let his head drop and could easily have capped his game with a goal........well played lad.

Doddys......'super Louis Dodds' - another who never stopped running and chasing, played some very intelligent passes and capped his fine performance with a very well taken goal.

Finally a message regarding the 183 Vale Fans - Crawley is a long way to travel this close to Christmas and it was a long day for most. They never stopped singing and played their part too and no doubt all were much relieved after last weeks offerings.

A quote from the Crawley message board;

"Good goal by us. I thoughT Bawling was a bit hit and miss. Dickson did some good work along the wing attacking. Elliott battled well. Our keeper was excellent.

In a nutshell, I think we were unlucky, they were not better than us over the whole match."

I suspect that this fella has rose tinted specs and certainly want a pint of whatever he's been drinking!! There are some far more realistic posts on their board which say it could've been 4 or 5 but this fella is amazing

Now I've watched the Strictly final I can risk coming on t'internet!

I would not have been a traversty if Vale had scored five today. They were streets ahead of a Crawley team whom Bristol City and struggled to break down until the final minute in their last game.

Dodds was excellent - helped to set up a fabulous first goal and scored the second. Someone reckoned that Brown's goal was deflected a couple of times - no chance, he curled it into the top corner with the outside of his foot. Brilliant. Brown's energy is amazing - at one point in the second half Marshall broke down the right and Brown beat every other player into the box to get on the end of his cross - shame he didn't score because it would have been an outstanding goal.

N'Guessan looked more effective playing on the left than he does as a central striker. He could have scored a hat-trick today with calmer finishing. I was surprised to see Williamson in the starting line up but the lad ran his socks off and linked beautifully with Lovely Louis for the second goal.

And Dave, we didn't go five at the back. O'Connor seemed to be struck down by cramp after taking a corner late on so Robertson came on to replace him. This didn't mean five at the back though because Veseli moved into midfield to take O'Connor's place.

The penalty was very soft and was no surprise considering the referee came from West Sussex! Great save by Neal from Tomlin who has only scored once all season for them. To be honest, Neal had very little to do in the game and if Radio Stoke gave the impression were were under the cosh in the last five minutes well I have to disagree because they never looked like scoring in that time.

At one point in the second half some Vale fans started stamping their feet - trying to warm them up I assume. Pretty soon everyone in the Stand was doing the same on the wooden floor. It was like a spontaneous performance of the Best of Riverdance!!

Great performance, great day and a great boost just before Christmas. Cheers lads!!

I would not have been a traversty if Vale had scored five today. They were streets ahead of a Crawley team whom Bristol City and struggled to break down until the final minute in their last game.

Dodds was excellent - helped to set up a fabulous first goal and scored the second. Someone reckoned that Brown's goal was deflected a couple of times - no chance, he curled it into the top corner with the outside of his foot. Brilliant. Brown's energy is amazing - at one point in the second half Marshall broke down the right and Brown beat every other player into the box to get on the end of his cross - shame he didn't score because it would have been an outstanding goal.

N'Guessan looked more effective playing on the left than he does as a central striker. He could have scored a hat-trick today with calmer finishing. I was surprised to see Williamson in the starting line up but the lad ran his socks off and linked beautifully with Lovely Louis for the second goal.

And Dave, we didn't go five at the back. O'Connor seemed to be struck down by cramp after taking a corner late on so Robertson came on to replace him. This didn't mean five at the back though because Veseli moved into midfield to take O'Connor's place.

The penalty was very soft and was no surprise considering the referee came from West Sussex! Great save by Neal from Tomlin who has only scored once all season for them. To be honest, Neal had very little to do in the game and if Radio Stoke gave the impression were were under the cosh in the last five minutes well I have to disagree because they never looked like scoring in that time.

At one point in the second half some Vale fans started stamping their feet - trying to warm them up I assume. Pretty soon everyone in the Stand was doing the same on the wooden floor. It was like a spontaneous performance of the Best of Riverdance!!

Great performance, great day and a great boost just before Christmas. Cheers lads!!

Glad we read the game the same way Jacko. The Brown thing that you refer to was even more impressive as it was him (he) who won the tackle on the edge of our box to win the ball and then burst forward to get on the end of it. I thought him and O'Connor were superb but MOM was Dodds. I've not been his biggest fan in the past but if that level of industry could be repeated in every game then what a player we'd have.

Having singled out Dodds the whole team performance shouldn't be underestimated, there was one point in the second half where a pack of Vale player pressed the Crawley player on the ball in a pack and forced him from the middle of our half into running it back towards his own keeper and eventually passing back to let the keeper lump it forward for us to win again.

Great effort today and fully deserved result, would've been good to put it to bed with Marshall or N'Guessan's chances though.

Southall? He didn't play more than 10 games

Thanks for that, Jean. Can't believe you watch Strictly, mind :razz:

Doddys......'super Louis Dodds' - another who never stopped running and chasing, played some very intelligent passes and capped his fine performance with a very well taken goal.

Finally a message regarding the 183 Vale Fans - Crawley is a long way to travel this close to Christmas and it was a long day for most. They never stopped singing and played their part too and no doubt all were much relieved after last weeks offerings.

well said Fred and well done to the 183 Valiants. You also sum up why I tend to revere Doddsie. A class player who can play intelligent and subtle passes (perhaps too subtle for some) and works harder than a few seem to notice.

All this talk about Campion... Rob Page see's him every day in training. We don't. We all like to think we'd make good managers but Page is in the best position to judge whether he deserves to start games or not. Maybe he simply just isn't any good? Williamson flatters to deceive for the majority, so if he can't get in ahead of him then you have to worry about his quality and/or fitness.

That's the most sensible post I've read so far. What is the ****ing obsession with a player no one has seen do anything for the first time?

Archived