onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

BBC salaries.

For Us All

Advert

Part of the politics of envy campaign run by the Telegraph and Murdoch against the BBC from their dislike of of neutral, unbiased news coverage. How many bankers are paid more than the Prime Minister? How many Sky employees?

The difference is I choose to pay murdoch for his tv channels. i have no choice with the bbc. If I own a tv I have to pay over £100 for a license. Make the bbc subscription like the others then see what happens

Personally I'd not like that as I believe we would lose so much..local radio, maybe some of the national radio programmes/stations, the less commercially viable wildlife and arts programmes and so on.

I think we should cherish the BBC and the fact that there really is nothing else like it, whilst always keeping a close eye on it's editorial independence, bias and the like. I don't want all TV and radio in this country to be commercially driven

I'm happy to pay the license fee and think its excellent value for money with diversity of TV (and catch up), radio and web coverage provided.

For any-one that wants to opt out, then fine, they don't get any of the above. and should be prosecuted if they access any of the above without paying.

Its not fine because they cant opt out. Theres no choice, if you own a tv you have to pay.

believe me, if I could opt out I would.

No effort goes in to satisfying the BBC taxpayer anymore. The fee for a TV Licence is ridiculous, mostly repeats,and the choice of films, always repeats. And you will see over Christmas - I suppose we will get our annual dose of the Only fools and horses Xmas special- they couldn't let another year go by and I suppose we will get Indiana Jones if we are lucky.

I didnt want to tell you this, but non-payment for a TV Licence becomes a civil offence as opposed to it being a criminal offence, if we get a UKIP administration in government or part of a coalition, after the 2015 election. And they are looking to reduce the fee.;)

No effort goes in to satisfying the BBC taxpayer anymore. The fee for a TV Licence is ridiculous, mostly repeats,and the choice of films, always repeats.

Local radio and national radio, internet services, catch up...superb services..cheap as chips

And you will see over Christmas - I suppose we will get our annual dose of the Only fools and horses Xmas special- they couldn't let another year go by and I suppose we will get Indiana Jones if we are lucky.

Plenty of choice across BBC1, BBC2, the freeview channels and radio channels..plus all the catchup stuff..

I didnt want to tell you this, but non-payment for a TV Licence becomes a civil offence as opposed to it being a criminal offence, if we get a UKIP administration in government or part of a coalition, after the 2015 election. And they are looking to reduce the fee.;)

Isn't it becoming a civil offence going to happen anyway? just means you'll be fined isntead of going to prison and having a criminal record doesn't it? Anyway everyone should pay up

The best way to fund the TV licence would be out of taxed income, everyone gets one and it looks like its is free. To make it fair to the small number who don't want a TV, there would be a scheme where they would apply for a payment if they didn't have a TV and promised not to watch one.

This would make it easier to detect cheats, as the authorities would have a list of those claiming the non-watchers refund and it should not be a long list. Anyone who claimed the money and then was caught watching would have their TV confiscated, be fined, and never allowed to apply for a refund in the future.

Similarly with road tax, abolish and add a penny or two per gallon to fuel tax.

How many people posting on here objected to Mrs Thatcher's hated poll tax?

Well, the BBC licence fee is a broadcasting poll tax by another name. You have to play it regardless of your means to do so, on pain of prosecution, and it's the same rate for rich and poor. It is therefore regressive and penalises the poor (not only financially but with a criminal record if they don't pay). At the same time, the BBC pay their executives salaries that most of us can only dream about out of public funds; and then they give them a gold-plated pension paid for not by the employees out of their salaries but by the licence payer (last year the BBC paid £325 MILLION of the licence payers' money into their pension pot).

Last year 180,00 people were found guilty of evading payment, many of them the poorest in society (including single mothers on benefits), and given a criminal record, wrecking their chances of finding employment. This amounted, unbelievably, to more than 10% of all prosecutions in magistrates' courts. Hang your heads in shame, fat cats of the BBC.

How anyone can justify the fairness of this is beyond comprehension.

You have to play it regardless of your means to do so, on pain of prosecution, and it's the same rate for rich and poor.

Unless you're over 75 in which case it's free. Looking forward to that!

Also, re the first post on salaries. How many Premier League footballers earn more in a week than the PM does in a year?

Archived