onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

UK gains £20bn from European migrants

Memphis

Advert

Economic migrants are by definition the people who come to the UK to seek work.

They come to the UK to be better off financially..which could be by being in work, could be cos they are unemployed in their own country and getting no benefits and will do here, could be they are so low paid in their own country that even on benefits they are better off here, could be their country is in desperate economic strife and they want better opportunities for their family. As opposed to a refugee/asylum seeker

Bottom line they come here to be better off financially

Fair points, having had a quick look it seems I missed the 'standard of living' part off my old A-Level Geography definition.

Still the point still stands that those coming here to work, whether with a job guaranteed or not, are still economic migrants. I think there just seems to be a continual confusion about who are 'good' immigrants and who are 'bad' immigrants amongst all parties, anti-immigration or otherwise. In the same way there always is in terms of the 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor.

Ultimately there needs to be clarity about what the situation actually is, and from all parties in terms of what, if anything, they actually want to do about it. What we don't need is more deliberately vague and/or inflammatory rhetoric that serves no practical purpose.

Farage always has and always been full of ****. He'll be back to number one excuse why the dregs of British society haven't got a job- "it's because of immigration"because the truth "you're lazy, work shy losers, happy to sponge of the state" is not too voter friendly.

This obviously does not mean everyone currently out of work, that'd be ridiculous but the Jeremy Kyle generation has a lot to answer for

Hmmm I'm partly in agreement with you there Yukon

Except of course I believe that controlled immigration would still be even better for the economy than uncontrolled immigration and keeping out the less qualified will stop cheap immigrant labour forcing wages down.

Still your spot on about what you call the jeremy kyle generation

Fair points, having had a quick look it seems I missed the 'standard of living' part off my old A-Level Geography definition.

Still the point still stands that those coming here to work, whether with a job guaranteed or not, are still economic migrants. I think there just seems to be a continual confusion about who are 'good' immigrants and who are 'bad' immigrants amongst all parties, anti-immigration or otherwise. In the same way there always is in terms of the 'deserving' and 'undeserving' poor.

Ultimately there needs to be clarity about what the situation actually is, and from all parties in terms of what, if anything, they actually want to do about it. What we don't need is more deliberately vague and/or inflammatory rhetoric that serves no practical purpose.

Good points and I agree

unfortunately only "deliberately vague and/or inflammatory rhetoric" draws a crowd and grabs the headlines and, sadly, modern politics has become more about personalities and publicity than policies.

Hmmm I'm partly in agreement with you there Yukon

Except of course I believe that controlled immigration would still be even better for the economy than uncontrolled immigration and keeping out the less qualified will stop cheap immigrant labour forcing wages down.

Still your spot on about what you call the jeremy kyle generation

The so-called "Jeremy kyle" generation are in a minority and unfortunately this tory government has tarred all unemployed with the same brush, treated them with contempt, plunged people into unfair poverty with their ruthless sanctions instead of chasing those top earners who avoid tax and pay peanuts to migrants.

Let's not forget the rich put us into years of austerity and the government make the poorest pay- that is why thousands are angry and will abandon the tories this time.

But lets remember Labour failed to regulate the banking and trading industries, and did nothing to curb immigration- and locally have squandered thousands and thousands of tax payers monies on projects that do nothing for the working person

They are both as bad as each other- and the votes in May will reflect this.

The so-called "Jeremy kyle" generation are in a minority and unfortunately this tory government has tarred all unemployed with the same brush,

Where has it done that?

treated them with contempt, plunged people into unfair poverty with their ruthless sanctions instead of chasing those top earners who avoid tax and pay peanuts to migrants.

Astonishing..helped to create tens of 1000s of jobs to get people into work and they have treated the unemployed with contempt

And to suggest top earners are not being chased is proposterous. The govt does not pay migrants

Let's not forget the rich put us into years of austerity

Rubbish..a relatively tiny number of people caused the bank failures (aided by Labour)..most 'rich' people (whoever they are, you've never defined who you mean) pay massive taxes to fund services, generate wealth, create jobs, employ people etc

and the government make the poorest pay- that is why thousands are angry and will abandon the tories this time.

Claptrap..they didn't support the Tories in the first place

But lets remember Labour failed to regulate the banking and trading industries, and did nothing to curb immigration- and locally have squandered thousands and thousands of tax payers monies on projects that do nothing for the working person

Indeed

They are both as bad as each other- and the votes in May will reflect this.

I'd say in general Labour has been far worse for the ordinary people in this country and whilst I am sure many will turn away form the 'traditional' parties, not enough to make any real difference

European migrants are more highly educated than the UK-born workforce? That's a pretty damning conclusion.

Not surprising though! It is generally the younger and better educated eastern Europeans who have the will, the nous and the commitment to make a better life for themselves. With our country's proportion of older people (and unfortunately, although I'm still working, I slot into this category!) we need more younger people (of any nationality) working and paying taxes to support the needs of an aging population! It amazes (and frustrates) me when some unions and public service workers complain about immigrants--who do they think pays for their better than average pensions? Workers and tax payers of any colour, creed and nationality of course--get real!

Economic migrants are by definition the people who come to the UK to seek work.

They should already have work lined up- if not they should not come over because they would then be claiming benefits to which they have not payed into and technically not entitled.

I have worked for years and expect entitlement to state benefit as I would see this as "getting out what I have put in"

I say let their own country pay their own benefits whilst they are out of work- if the EU's principles apply the same with free movement as with labour and we are seen as one large labour region, then the national country of that migrant should pay the bill until they find work. One organisation=one pot of money.

The statistics are nothing more than propaganda and a slate against the various hardworking non eu migrants.

Not surprising though! It is generally the younger and better educated eastern Europeans who have the will, the nous and the commitment to make a better life for themselves. With our country's proportion of older people (and unfortunately, although I'm still working, I slot into this category!) we need more younger people (of any nationality) working and paying taxes to support the needs of an aging population! It amazes (and frustrates) me when some unions and public service workers complain about immigrants--who do they think pays for their better than average pensions? Workers and tax payers of any colour, creed and nationality of course--get real!

It's a shame of the millions that are wasted in educational grants to supply local colleges and institutions with so called "esol" courses English for speakers of other languages- that attend to learn the basics of English- because they have no basic grasp of English nor have ability to understand the moral issues of English speaking.

THIS WAS NOT INCLUSIVE OF THE FIGURES PRODUCED YESTERDAY-"THE BASIC EDUCATIONAL COSTS OF BRINGING EASTERN EUROPEANS ENGLISH UP TO A "BASIC STANDARD"

Thousands and thousands OF ENGLISH NATIONALS that can speak good English, therefore are a better proposition for the thousands and thousands of unskilled jobs that require a grasp of basic English.

Many who come over cannot even speak basic English- and it comes to a huge taxpayer cost, whilst tuition fees for our own people who want to get on and study for a professional qualification now can seldom afford it.

So they are "better educated"??- well, I beg to differ.

They should already have work lined up- if not they should not come over because they would then be claiming benefits to which they have not payed into and technically not entitled.

They are technically completely entitled or they would not get them

I have worked for years and expect entitlement to state benefit as I would see this as "getting out what I have put in"

Utter rubbish..it's not a savings plan. You put in for everyone who is entitled including Brits who haven't put in

I say let their own country pay their own benefits whilst they are out of work-

I tend to agree..we should claim back form their country what we pay them in benefits and equally other cpountries should claim form us for Brits in their country on benefits

The statistics are nothing more than propaganda and a slate against the various hardworking non eu migrants.

Eh?

Archived