onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

UK gains £20bn from European migrants

Memphis

Advert

I would say the problem is typical unless they come to the UK with fluent English speaking skills- and this requirement should be mandatory under a controlled migration policy.

Do the scots have perfect english?... some on the english regional dialects are difficult to understand when in full flow... they are fluent english but personally I wouldnt employ them for general public speaking.

Yeh fluent is a bit much to ask

The ability to understand it is, perhaps, more important than the ability to speak it because they must be able to understand safety instructions amongst other things.

I guess it boils down to what job they are doing.

I interviewed some polish drivers once but we couldnt understand each other even when we were face to face. As drivers most instructions would have been relayed to them by phone and any issues they had on site would have to be reported to us by phone. A large firm who intends to regularly recruit from poland would probably engage the services of an interpreter but for a small business with limited resources it wouldnt be feasible.

I also interviewed a man from Iraq once. His job application was filled out in perfect english but when he turned up for the interview he clearly couldnt understand me and it was obvious that he hadnt filled the application in himself. He had a very few words of english but mostly he just kept saying "yes, I very good worker" whatever I asked him. How could I possibly show on paper why I had given him the job over the other candidates I interviewed when I couldnt even ask him the questions?

In both cases I was unable to offer jobs to them but I did wonder if I was turning away the perfect person for the job, language is important I think.

Was the intention of the thread to be pro/anti immigration or pro/anti EU?

The report shows that the contributing migrants were highly educated so they would be allowed to come and work under the current free flow and also (probably) a points based system.

The point of the thread was probably to make UKIP look bad but as you point out, it does nothing of the sort.

The ability to understand it is, perhaps, more important than the ability to speak it because they must be able to understand safety instructions amongst other things.

I guess it boils down to what job they are doing.

I interviewed some polish drivers once but we couldnt understand each other even when we were face to face. As drivers most instructions would have been relayed to them by phone and any issues they had on site would have to be reported to us by phone. A large firm who intends to regularly recruit from poland would probably engage the services of an interpreter but for a small business with limited resources it wouldnt be feasible.

I also interviewed a man from Iraq once. His job application was filled out in perfect english but when he turned up for the interview he clearly couldnt understand me and it was obvious that he hadnt filled the application in himself. He had a very few words of english but mostly he just kept saying "yes, I very good worker" whatever I asked him. How could I possibly show on paper why I had given him the job over the other candidates I interviewed when I couldnt even ask him the questions?

In both cases I was unable to offer jobs to them but I did wonder if I was turning away the perfect person for the job, language is important I think.

In a lot of occupations there is a requirement for every employee to understand their part in maintaining a duty of care in Health and safety situations, so you are totally correct to dismiss their applications and it cannot be considered as Discriminative-you were totally within your rights.

And in the real world, this issue of safety in the workplace is a genuine concern where employing migrants who have little English understanding.

The point of the thread was probably to make UKIP look bad but as you point out, it does nothing of the sort.

The prospects for UKIP look better every single week. And we are only in November with six months to go to the big GE

I think the point of the thread was to demonstrate that the popular view that immigration is a drain on the public purse is largely a fallacy.

Even the OBR has said that in order to reduce the budget deficit, net migration would have to go up, not down.

Clealry in some cases it's more important than in others but as in your case it's for the recruiter to decide. Imagine having to turn away the perfect candidate that you have been seeking for months cos he didn't speak fluent English when there was no need for him/her to do so to do the job. Time, money, effort would have to be spent on an English speaker who isn't as good and what business wants to do that!! It's those kind of practices that helped drive down British industry

H&S instructions and the candidate's ability to undersatnd them is something the recruiter would have to take into account

I thought the point was to show that the issue is not black and white..the numbers don't tell the full story and nor do they claim to. They don't include the social effects/cost for example

Archived