onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

parking fine

TheJoker

My daughter got a fine sent about the 1st week in Dec last year, with a photo of her car with the date/time on it, it said she had over stayed on the private car-park, But luckly found the ticket with the amount paid and the time she left, we sent a copy to the parking company and after a about 6wks they wrote back saying due to lack of evidence they would forgo the fine.

I wrote back asking what more evidence they needed, and asked for a apology, but no reply, so I then wrote to the people who oversee private parking companies, complained, they said they could only advise on guideline policies, so I then replied to them it seems funny if at a busy time just before Christmas they send out a number of tickets, on the off chance, how many people could remember if they went over the time, or how many people keep parking tickets, and like in this case if you pay before a certain date you save money. Seems a nice little earner, all they said was no comment.

Advert

The main question is, was a vehicle registered in your name parked in Newcastle on 18th September in an area where you could have got a ticket if someone official had seen you? If you actually committed an offence in the eyes of the law you don't have much chance of a sucessful appeal... Unless you had reported the vehicle as stolen.

Google Pepipoo for some expert help.

Councils have to be beaten on rules regardless of ethics. So if they have notified you over the time allowed then you MUST contact them and highlight the legislation accordingly. If they have any sense they will back down. Otherwise you need to look for irregularities with the PCN (Penalty Charge Notice) which takes some doing - hence my google reference. You have to know what Councils should be printing on their notices. A lot of them don't. Then there are aspects of incorrect signage.

I've beaten councils before but you need evidence otherwise you'll lose. Whatever you do - do not ignore.

Was involved in a similar sort of thing myself this Summer

I had just had an horrendous 9 hour journey back from Stansted airport back to Southampton (major road crash), after coming back from Portugal.

Couldn't find my parking permit with getting back at 2am and had work following day so gambled and hoped for the best. Following day I had been given a parking fine and tried to appeal against it. I appealed but they rejected my first appeal which surprised me.

Took it to the POPLA (Parking on Private Land appeals), and I got my landlord involved to help me with the appeal and later found out that she sent it to the wrong place (PCN appeals are different to that of POPLA), you have to appeal to POPLA upon rejection of your 1st appeal with PCN parking.

In the meantime they increased my fine from £60 to £100, and then threatened to increase it again to £150 at a later date if I didn't pay within the month. In the end I reluctantly took the hit.

To summarise basically:

1) If you are going to appeal, make sure you do it within the 28 day timeframe they set, to the POPLA (if you are accused of Parking on Private Land). Ensure you get together all necessary documentation, proof, evidence, photographs etc so you stand a good chance of winning your appeal. Not sure on the process for council/public related charges tbh.

2) If you are genuinely in the wrong, pay the fine immediately because they are serious, and will threaten, harass you and increase your fine in the process if you miss the deadline set.

Newcastle under Lyme Council have ringed the town with fee paying car parking and yellow lines. The car parking fees stretch up to 9pm etc. this means that someone like me who might nip there for an hour after the game won't do so. They must be hurting business in the town a lot.

Only ever got one and that was when I was parked outside my flat in London, in "my" parking space, displaying my permit, during the hours when technically anyone could park there anyway. The excuse was the parking chap hadn't realised where he was when he issued the ticket..it was cancelled and I got an apology

Been clamped several times and it's always been wrong and I got unclamped without paying anything..just bullies trying it on

Towed away once (which wasn't nice) when I was parked on a street in London where my then girlfriend lived which they decided to do some work on without notifying anyone until one week beforehand,,we were away on holiday at the time of the notification and when they started the work. Got it back the day we got back and some compo but only after some wrangling

They do mess up a lot

Got a parking fine through the post today for a parking offence that allegedly happened in Newcastle on 18th sept. I never got a parking ticket in September and anyway its November now for gods sake. Is anyone on here aware of loopholes to get away without paying this? They want 70 notes off me or 105 if i dont pay by 3rd dec. I know with speeding fines they have to send the letter within 2 weeks or it is not valid....anything similar for parking tickets?

Were you parked where they say you were at the time they say you were? If so pay it, if not appeal against it.

Archived