onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale Market

Samwelo

I was wondering if people slightly older than myself could shed some light on the old market for me. I remember it as a child and I remember reading that it was closed as it took business away from Burslem(?). I would imagine it was a decent little revenue stream for the club. Is there any way that the club could look to restarting the market again or is that not possible due to the council? Thanks in advance

Advert

I remember going to it many times and it always seemed to have a lot of stalls and to be pretty busy

My recollection is that the commercial geniuses on the council relocated it to the centre of Burslem (Queen Street?) to encourage more visitors to the town centre and it died a death there..for whatever reason

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-384000-348000/page/13

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/8326823.stm

Used to make close on 100 grand a year, was ran by Bill Lodey, council stopped it and moved it to Burslem where it folded pretty quickly. Council would need to give permission for it to start up again.

Wonder if next time Smurf is browsing OVF it gives him any food for thought. Personally think it would be good for the area and the club

I remember going to it many times and it always seemed to have a lot of stalls and to be pretty busy

My recollection is that the commercial geniuses on the council relocated it to the centre of Burslem (Queen Street?) to encourage more visitors to the town centre and it died a death there..for whatever reason

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-384000-348000/page/13

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/8326823.stm

£130,000 a year is a lot of money for the club.

I remember attending a meeting at Vale when the Council were proposing to close the market. The late Ted Smith who was leader of the Council at the time was in attendance and made a very poor effort of justifying the decision. Smith, of course, was an ardent Stoke fan who was the leading light in the Council's involvement in the construction of the Britannia Stadium.

Used to work on the market as a kid. Set a stall up and then run home from school and help pack it away.

Bill Lodey used to go around collecting the rent, so he would know all about it.

Council closed it as it made Vale money and not them basically. Traders used to come from long distances to be there, as it had a great reputation as being a cracking market.

Markets around the country are not like they were 20years ago, there are a lot less market traders now, back when vale market was at its peak there was no b&m , lattifs, or home bargains in burslem, you can buy almost all the things at these shops now that you could of at vale market . There was not one pound shop in the city, so yes it was a great market but weekly markets of that size have had their day

Markets around the country are not like they were 20years ago, there are a lot less market traders now, back when vale market was at its peak there was no b&m , lattifs, or home bargains in burslem, you can buy almost all the things at these shops now that you could of at vale market . There was not one pound shop in the city, so yes it was a great market but weekly markets of that size have had their day

Spot on. Coupled with Tunstall market and Hanley Potteries Market it would be no longer the money spinner it once was.

Spot on. Coupled with Tunstall market and Hanley Potteries Market it would be no longer the money spinner it once was.

I dunno, hast bin ter penkridge market racently, thut sames ter bay dooin o rate, nucastle on th stooons und market drayton dunner same ter bad aither.

I think with shops like Home Bargains, B & M, and Poundlands etc, I don't think markets would be the same anymore tbh..I might be wrong though..

I disagree with you there me owd fruit, Just have a drive down to the Bescot stadium on a Sunday morning, and see how that market thrives. Smurf could do no worse, than look at the way Walsall FC commercial department make their market such a thriving money spinner.

Archived