onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Port Vale Market

Samwelo

Advert

I remember attending a meeting at Vale when the Council were proposing to close the market. The late Ted Smith who was leader of the Council at the time was in attendance and made a very poor effort of justifying the decision. Smith, of course, was an ardent Stoke fan who was the leading light in the Council's involvement in the construction of the Britannia Stadium.

Ted Smith did everything in his power to make life difficult for Vale- and that isn't just "little club syndrome". Did he not also suggest our club shop was taking business from the town centre? I'm not a hypocrite so my opinion of him is the same now he's dead as it was when he was alive- and it's not a good one

I remember going to it many times and it always seemed to have a lot of stalls and to be pretty busy

My recollection is that the commercial geniuses on the council relocated it to the centre of Burslem (Queen Street?) to encourage more visitors to the town centre and it died a death there..for whatever reason

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/GB-384000-348000/page/13

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/8326823.stm

Hey JA - I had a fight when i was only 14 or 15 at the market. I recall i was racially attacked by a pakistani (muslim) stall holders son. I simply glanced at him and was set upon, and knocked off my bike- i duly fought back and punched him in the nose before we were broke up. It was actually the Friday before Vales 2-1 away win at Fulham in 1987. I recall Vale were due to face Spurs i the Cup im pretty sure i went Vale was to get my ticket for the spurs game i cant recall.

Some things NEVER change..........

Hey JA - I had a fight when i was only 14 or 15 at the market. I recall i was racially attacked by a pakistani (muslim) stall holders son. I simply glanced at him and was set upon, and knocked off my bike- i duly fought back and punched him in the nose before we were broke up. It was actually the Friday before Vales 2-1 away win at Fulham in 1987. I recall Vale were due to face Spurs i the Cup im pretty sure i went Vale was to get my ticket for the spurs game i cant recall.

Carllllllll causing problems wherever he goes, nowt indeed changes! ;)

It's your own fault for failing to take current carlllllll's advice by going out and not staying in and hiding behind your curtain away from the nasty foreign person. I've often found simply looking at people causes them to start fighting me too!!

I take it you found out his religion as you were fighting him?

Bet you hated that Vale side, Bob Hazell, Darren Beckford, Michael Cole, Robbie Earle...good heavens!

Bury Market is one of the best known in the North of England! I feel Vale's would be a goer, and provide a useful income for the club - but in a modified form. Instead of the kind of stuff that, quite correctly, other posters can buy in £1 shops, we could run a Farmers Market,selling some of the fantastic produce available from a 50-mile radius of Burslem; and combine this (or alternate) with a Collector's Fair and Car Boot Fair - both of which are still doing well up this way. Just one of my local Car Boots has 300+ stalls, @ £10 / stall, twice per week, and charges the public for parking. That's decent money, if it was going into our coffers!

Bury Market is one of the best known in the North of England! I feel Vale's would be a goer, and provide a useful income for the club - but in a modified form. Instead of the kind of stuff that, quite correctly, other posters can buy in £1 shops, we could run a Farmers Market,selling some of the fantastic produce available from a 50-mile radius of Burslem; and combine this (or alternate) with a Collector's Fair and Car Boot Fair - both of which are still doing well up this way. Just one of my local Car Boots has 300+ stalls, @ £10 / stall, twice per week, and charges the public for parking. That's decent money, if it was going into our coffers!

Cracking is Bury Market!

Like that suggestion all round, well worth a go and suggesting to the club / council for minimal overheads on a trial basis.

Maybe we could combine the market with car boot sales. They're still as popular as they ever were. Come on Mr Smurf, let's see what can be done. A decent way of making revenue for the Club. :yes:

Bury Market is indeed very popular Doreen. I've be a few times myself and always manage to come back with a bargain. One of the best markets I've been to is The Barras in Glasgow. Now there are definitely bargains to be had there.

Maybe we could combine the market with car boot sales. They're still as popular as they ever were. Come on Mr Smurf, let's see what can be done. A decent way of making revenue for the Club. :yes:

Bury Market is indeed very popular Doreen. I've be a few times myself and always manage to come back with a bargain. One of the best markets I've been to is The Barras in Glasgow. Now there are definitely bargains to be had there.

Went to the farmers market last weekend in Stone, excellent pies pastries fresh meat and fish, just finishing the last of the pies as i type (chicken,ham and leek), delicious, oh and those chocolate chip muffins for pud..:drool::drool:

Imagine it.."Oof", "Hey is your dad from from Pakistan?" Crunch "That's an impressive beard for a young lad, your Dad must be a Muslim (whatever they are, I'm only 14 so how would I know)?" Smack "Hey leave our women alone" Ouch etc etc

Bury Market is pretty good but when I talk to the wife's family (from Droylsden) all they talk about is how good it used to be, how big it used to be and how it's been going downhill for years

It is from what i have heard on a downward spiral and only impressive compared to most of the dross that passes for a market these days

Will people come from miles around to a market in Burslem? I can't see it myself

Archived