onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New manager

cheshirevaliant

Advert

Clear the lot out.

Look to start afresh with a new man.

Promoting Page at Vale will just breed complacency, he may well go on to be a successful manager but this is not his time and not in this league.

Too much will remain of Adams, the players may not respond in the same way as they would have to with a new guy.

Page is nailed on imo however

Firstly well done Micky Adams, almost all football managers end badly and he recognised the right time for the club and probably himself to move on to something new. Good luck and hopefully you'll be back in a rival dugout in due course.

Secondly in the real world ex Premiership and Championship managers aren't on their way to the Vale, most of them are on similar money for there 30 minute TV appearances.

I'm neutral on Page but the negative reaction seems mainly linked to his comments about errors not systems been the problem. Bottom line at the time he was number 2 and couldn't say his boss had screwed things up an was playing the wrong team. It will be interesting to see how we line up on Saturday because that will tell us what he really thought. He's certainly highly rated as a young coach (as was Rudge under McGrath who was very similar in many ways to Adams). Any appointment is a gamble, no matter how well they've done elsewhere and at some point the odds are the next manager will move on, that's the way of football at this level. Would giving Page a shot for 6 or 7 games be a bad thing, probably not as the next manager isn't going to have a lot of opportunity to bring in new players until the summer.

Do me a favour, if anyone turned on Adams it was the players not the fans. He brought better quality players in and their obvious lack of committment has been embarassing. Adams has probably quit because he has realised that the players he has brought in have no backbone and he doesnt trust them to get the club out of trouble. He would rather walk now than have a relegation blighting his CV.

Don't know how realistic a lot those mentioned on here but the big thing that most people point out is our obsession with ex-players must stop.

Ainsworth is not even worth mentioning for me. Doing a decent job at Wycombe but is far from proven even in League Two. Struggled last season and albeit started well this season that's nothing to judge him on.

Also a no go for me is Aspin. If he wasn't an ex Vale player he wouldn't even be mentioned. Non-league managers are a definite no no for their lack of knowledge of the football league and I doubt there is many tactical genius in there.

I don't see the obsession withO'Driscoll. Did very well at Donny and does play good football but other than that is nothing out of the ordinary. Poor at Notts Forest and poor at Bristol City.

Gary Megson. Don't think he'd be popular but he is a good manager and I have a feeling would be a decent appointment. I'm not sure we need his 'in your face' style of management but he gets results.

For me Gary Rowett just seems unrealistic.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer would suit me but not sure how far he'll drop. Been there, done that playing and learnt under the best at Man Utd with his early coaching. Molde was a good proving ground for him and Cardiff was just a damned difficult job.

One that would be do or die is Robbie Fowler. Don't think it's completely unrealistic as he seems to be keen on management and needs to start somewhere. Is completely unproven though however you get the feeling a lot of youngsters would want to come on loan to work under him.

Brian McDermott would be a very good appointment if we could afford him. Horrifically treated at Leeds and has a good footballing philosophy.

Robert Page, sorry but not ready and would only really be carrying on from where Adams left off.

Firstly thank you Micky for doing the right thing for Port Vale and your standing with us supporters. I was one who wanted you gone but also I appreciated what you did for us during very trying times.

Secondly I am sure Page will be given his chance to prove himself as Norman does not know who Neil Aspin is (although maybe I am wrong?)

Thirdly talking of Neil Aspin, he is the only one of our ex players who is worth a shot of managing us as he has worked his apprenticeship the hard way with Harrogate Town, with very little funds and now with Halifax with who he has won three promotions in his first three years and finished in the play offs in the Conference last season. If he was on Smurfs list the thing that would probably stop it from happening was if Smurf read this site and thought that he would need Rudgie as his Director of Football. Neil Aspin is 50 next birthday and does not need a chaperone. You would give him the job on his credentials alone for him to stand on his own two feet.

Fourthly if we wanted to look outside of the club why not consider Chris Wilder at Northampton. He is definitely one for the future.

Good luck Norman, I am glad I am not in your shoes.

Brian McDermott would be my 1st choice but doubt he'd drop to lg1 or we could afford him,

same could probably be said about Billy Davies. Sean O'Driscoll would be a decent shout but I think he may have just got a job with England U19's so that would rule him out?

The likes of Owen Coyle, Dave Jones, Mark Robins all seem to have gone off the rails a bit management wise so don't really appeal to me.

Dean Saunders, Paul Ince, are two I hope we don't go for as think they are vastly over rated.

Rob Page Is very much an unknown quantity which could go either way, personally think I would prefer a clean sweep of the whole management/coaching set-up, something I don't think we have ever done at Vale with any of our management appointments.

Neil Aspin Done a great job at Halifax and also did well at Harrogate but a bit like Lee Sinnott previously it would be something of a gamble and after the way it went with Sinnott I worry some fans would be straight on his back with him coming from non league. Also I'd hate to see his legend status as a player tarnished in anyway!

Gareth Ainsworth, Ian Bogie Loved them as players but for the same reason as Aspo let's look past ex players for me and let them get more experience in the league before we think about going there.

Dean Glover In two words NEVER AGAIN!

Gary Rowett Don't know if we could afford or if Norman would want to pay compo, done well at Burton without yet making that final leap of getting them up, should have good contacts with Midlands clubs and is an up & coming young manager with fresh ideas.

Similar to Rowett a name I'm surprised has not been mentioned yet is Keith Hill at Rochdale has a habit of working on a shoe string budget and is also doing okay with Rochdale so far in League One.

It will be interesting to see who applies I just hope we don't take too long but at the same time Smurf does his best to get a man he can work with, It's also vital we learn lessons from previous managerial disasters like Sinnott, Glover & Gannon and name sure the new man gets his own coaching team in place and isn't forced to work with anybody he doesn't want to, also make sure we appoint somebody who is capable of using/getting the the best from the players we have in the short term(so do they fit that managers style of play,unlike when Gannon was here!)

Archived