onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New manager

cheshirevaliant

Suppose this is the obvious thread to start after today's news.

Gary Rowett would be my choice, though I've no idea if it would interest him. Plays decent football from what I've seen (not much admittedly), has a "small" club in and around the promotion places every year, has an excellent home record, local (again I assume, given he manages Burton and spent most of his career at Derby and Brum).

Advert

Rowett is the only choice that I've seen mentioned that makes any real sense IF he wants it.

Love the idea of Aspo in a fantasy land but don't want to run he risk of another hero having his reputation shattered and being hated.

Other names of failed managers like Robins and Megson simply fill me with dread and would have us realising what we have lost.

If we go with Aspin then I think I've had enough. We've had Foyle, Glover and all the other old boys in the past. It will be back to square one for me, even though he has done a good in non league. We seem to be obsessed with ex players.

Excellent post! My thoughts entirely ! We need to look for someone not connected to the club!

I'd love us to get Gary Rowett, I think he's a great promising manager. However, I highly doubt we'd be able to get him :/

As I posted on another page of this site, Aspin may have done very well with Halifax, but for me I'd like someone who can:

- Implement a good style of football: Organised, good passing and attacking - but no hoofball.

- Spot and develop young and/or local talent - i.e. give the youth teamers a chance or pick up young promising strikers from non-league like Dagenham seem to (who then sell them onto Peterborough... for good profit and sell on fee's)

Now whether this manager is experienced at this level, which maybe they should, I think the priority should be trying to play good football.

The only reason I question Aspin is based on the fact that I don't know what kind of football his Halifax side play.

I hope Smurf does actually have someone in mind, or at least is getting some help on this. My head says see how Page does for 3 or 4 games. If he sets up similarly to Micky then get rid but if he tries to put a different stamp on our game - with success - then it could work out well for all.

If we go with Aspin then I think I've had enough. We've had Foyle, Glover and all the other old boys in the past. It will be back to square one for me, even though he has done a good in non league. We seem to be obsessed with ex players.

There is a difference here though. Foyle and Glover were unproven when they took charge of us, and were rather blind appointments. Aspin, however, is gaining a good reputation for himself as a manager already.

Whether he would suit us anyway is a different question.

Archived