onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reverse racism , no?

Guppy 4 England

Advert

Father Ted isn't about stereotypes, it's about caricature in context.

It's about the isolation and emotional and intellectual ineptitude of priests and people living in remote places cut off from urban (and more urbane) society.

It's set in a fictional outpost and no more does Irish jokes than the Vicar of Dibley does English jokes.

The extent to which people perceive it as portraying the Irish in a particular way probably says more about there perception of the Irish than the programme itself.

It's warm hearted and self-mocking in a way that it would be difficult for a writer to do who didn't understand the religion and cultural eccentricities of this particular element of Irish Catholic society.

For the record, I thought Goodness Gracious Me was poor comedy, which simply flipped around some tired old jokes, to limited effect.

A much more subtle comedic portrayal of ethnic minorities, particularly Black African and Black Caribbean communities, can be found in the work of the late Felix Dexter. A much under-rated comedy actor and performer. See the also much under-rated Bellamy's People for more subtle humour of this kind.

Father Ted isn't about stereotypes, it's about caricature in context.

It's about the isolation and emotional and intellectual ineptitude of priests and people living in remote places cut off from urban (and more urbane) society

According to writerGraham Linehan: it's populated by people who are "exaggerated-over-friendly, over-quiet, over-stupid, over-dull [...] they really only got one thing, they've got one job."

It's set in a fictional outpost and no more does Irish jokes than the Vicar of Dibley does English jokes

It plays on and exaggerates cultural stereotypes about such communities; this one hasppens to be in Ireland. Just like Only Fools played on and exaggerated the ducking and diving white South Londoner to make us laugh

The extent to which people perceive it as portraying the Irish in a particular way probably says more about there perception of the Irish than the programme itself.

No such thing..it plays on the stereotypes that exist around the Irish and such communities in ireland..says niothing about 'there perception of the Irish' as the vast majority recognise that these are not how things really are but are aware of the stereotype

It's warm hearted and self-mocking in a way that it would be difficult for a writer to do who didn't understand the religion and cultural eccentricities of this particular element of Irish Catholic society.

Precisely..it's not remotely racist any more than anyone else who is just making 'jokes' based on caricature, parody, exaggeration etc is being racist. If it were written by two English blokes, same lines, stories etc it doesn't suddenly become racist

For the record, I thought Goodness Gracious Me was poor comedy, which simply flipped around some tired old jokes, to limited effect.

At the time it was seen as rather original even if not particularly funny..it looks tired now

A much more subtle comedic portrayal of ethnic minorities, particularly Black African and Black Caribbean communities, can be found in the work of the late Felix Dexter. A much under-rated comedy actor and performer. See the also much under-rated Bellamy's People for more subtle humour of this kind.

Not familair with any of that so I might just look it up

I just recognise the difference between right and wrong.

You recognize what YOU consider or perceive is the difference between right and wrong.

It's you that keeps referring to superiority which is how 'white supremacists' (the biggest oxymoron of all time) did in the past.
I do refer to superiority to describe your derogatory attitude and put-down posts, its a paradox that someone so sensitive has this demeanor.

There's three topics in this thread;

1. The Rotherham issue that AR mentions which I have read up on briefly but don't feel qualified to talk about.

2. The original 'reverse racism' element from the OP which is just nonsensical

On point 2, I consider there is a racist element involved in the incident and I outlined why. I and others have a different point of view than you but it's no reason to use words like dark, strange, ignorant, close-minded and don't understand. Has it ever crossed your mind that most likely there are posters on OVF who are just as learned, just as open-minded and understand just as well than even you but who are not deluded by their own grandeur.

You recognize what YOU consider or perceive is the difference between right and wrong.

On point 2, I consider there is a racist element involved in the incident and I outlined why. I and others have a different point of view than you but it's no reason to use words like dark, strange, ignorant, close-minded and don't understand. Has it ever crossed your mind that most likely there are posters on OVF who are just as learned, just as open-minded and understand just as well than even you but who are not deluded by their own grandeur.

No I recognise what is lawful and not and the persecution certain races have faced for 100's of years.

You might consider there is a racist element but there is no evidence to support that whatsoever, not even a supportive statement from the victim for goodness sake. If it had been it would have been disgusting and despicable just as the act was itself but as it is it appears like nothing more than propaganda whipped up by people with an alterior motive. There is enough racial hatred still sadly in the world without the need for people to create more. What next, will the Cardiff bus attack be referred to as racist?

No I recognise what is lawful and not and the persecution certain races have faced for 100's of years.

And supposedly racist jokes as told by 1000s of comedians and millions of individuals are lawful...even if many consider them wrong

What next, will the Cardiff bus attack be referred to as racist?

Welshist maybe but not racist ;)

You say this

Then you say this

So clearly it does take more courage if one is more likely to be accused of racism becasue of the race of the crim and the victim

No JA it clearly takes no more or less, it just needs honesty about how you feel, no matter what colour you are, where you are going with that repetition I don't know, I wasn't going to mention the Rotherham thing but someone else has - a serious lack of courage happened there when it was 'the other way' so to speak.

I don't see anything wrong with offending people..I'd rather not do it but I'm not going to asvoid saying what i want to say cos some might find it offensive

I've been offened by jokes about cancer, dimentia and paedophilia..do you know what i do..i don't laugh at them but equally i don't see any reason to ban them just cos i find them offensive.

Don't get we wrong when it comes to racist humour there is a line but I'll decide for myself where the line is and just not laugh if I believe it's been crossed.

I honestly don't think that all Irish jokes are motivated by racism....especially those told by Dave Allen

By Jiminy I agree with you!!

I can't be offended for others but I can make a moral judgement on what is right and what is totally wrong.

If people genuinely see these types of things as funny then I'd really only feel pity for them.

No need to pity me - I live a decent life without the need to be scared to admit something, unlike yourself, because either you're a ****** good liar or you live in a beautiful glass house.

So you've changes your story now.

You might consider there is a racist element but there is no evidence to support that whatsoever' date=' not even a supportive statement from the victim for goodness sake. If it had been it would have been disgusting and despicable just as the act was itself but as it is it appears like nothing more than propaganda whipped up by people with an alterior motive.[/quote']

So what was meant by the words the perpetrator uttered, you can't believe that he really believed it was his street, why didn't the other Asians present prevent the assault. This is another example of the Police and Authorities scared to label this a racist incident for fear of upsetting "The community" with the consequent lenient punishment. I have no alterior motive.

There is enough racial hatred still sadly in the world without the need for people to create more.

Couldn't agree more but until the powers that be recognize and prosecute racism and so called reverse racism then mistrust will exist and tensions will mount, one rule for one another for another.

What next' date=' will the Cardiff bus attack be referred to as racist?[/quote']

Come on, this type of incident has sadly been occuring in the UK for the last 50 years, nothing to do with racism.

So you've changes your story now.

So what was meant by the words the perpetrator uttered, you can't believe that he really believed it was his street, why didn't the other Asians present prevent the assault. This is another example of the Police and Authorities scared to label this a racist incident for fear of upsetting "The community" with the consequent lenient punishment. I have no alterior motive.

Couldn't agree more but until the powers that be recognize and prosecute racism and so called reverse racism then mistrust will exist and tensions will mount, one rule for one another for another.

Come on, this type of incident has sadly been occuring in the UK for the last 50 years, nothing to do with racism.

As has the original story of ridiculously disgusting behaviour, nothing new just an opportunity for people to create imaginary racism which is very sad.

Archived