onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

4-5-1

gavcradd

I might be a bit behind the times here, but what's really hit me in the World Cup is that 4-4-2 is dead. 4-5-1 (or effectively a 4-2-3-1) seems to be the formation of choice, if you ignore the crazy Germans playing without a striker.

Is it something that we could use in League 1? Something like :

Popey

Daniel Moore Marshall

Lines Jennings

Dickinson McGivern Duffy Yates

Or do we just accept that in League 1, we need to keep it simple, stick 2 men up front with 2 wingers to feed them?

Advert

I really hope this is the plan. We always look better like this and our midfield being over run was our biggest issue last year. We need to get out of the mike Bassett mind set. Would like to bring in a number 10 and have Marshall and Moore wide, though Moore is also suited to the role.

I was also thinking along similar lines.

I wonder if Adams will move Lines into a more advanced midfield role with a winger either side of him and Pope up top.

However, there are two problems with it IMO:

1. There is a massive reliance on Pope being available. Any injury/suspension and who will the wingers feed? We'd need a back-up for the papal one.

2. This sort of 4-2-3-1 formation does mean we need two holding midfielders. Jennings could be one and Birchall may suffice as back-up (I see him being a useful utility player to bring on) but we'd probably need Jennings and perhaps two others (to cover for injuries/suspension) and can we really afford that on top of the new RB, new CF etc...

2. This sort of 4-2-3-1 formation does mean we need two holding midfielders. Jennings could be one and Birchall may suffice as back-up (I see him being a useful utility player to bring on) but we'd probably need Jennings and perhaps two others (to cover for injuries/suspension) and can we really afford that on top of the new RB, new CF etc...

IMO, we do need to change from 4-4-2 far more next season because we have to conceede far fewer goals than we did last season. To do that, I think Robf's 4-2-3-1 might be the best option. Two holding midfielders should give us more defensive cover but also offensively, our defenders far too often just boot the ball up field aimlessley thereby losing possession too quickly. We need the two defensive players to get the ball from the defenders and use it more wisely by passing our way up the field. Doing this should also restrict the time it comes back at us and consequently this should mean less opportunity of us conceeding.

I might be a bit behind the times here, but what's really hit me in the World Cup is that 4-4-2 is dead. 4-5-1 (or effectively a 4-2-3-1) seems to be the formation of choice, if you ignore the crazy Germans playing without a striker.

Is it something that we could use in League 1? Something like :

Popey

Daniel Moore Marshall

Lines Jennings

Dickinson McGivern Duffy Yates

Or do we just accept that in League 1, we need to keep it simple, stick 2 men up front with 2 wingers to feed them?

When the crazy Spanish played without a striker they were world champions and also won the European Championship that way. There are some teams relying on organisation like Germany and some relying on a star player like Argentina. If Argentina or Brazil get their team working better and their star player, then a team like Germany is in big trouble.

4-2-3-1 Doesnt work, as proven by England. Also you shouldnt look at world cup line ups to play an entire season, the world cup is based on 6/7 games which are must wins in 90mins/120mins/penalties.

442 isnt dead, its just you have missed the obvious as i stated above, the world cup is a cup competition. 442 does work, take a look at wolves they proved it quite dramatically this season, but i think our best formation is 4-4-1-1, personally.

4-2-3-1 Doesnt work, as proven by England. Also you shouldnt look at world cup line ups to play an entire season, the world cup is based on 6/7 games which are must wins in 90mins/120mins/penalties.

442 isnt dead, its just you have missed the obvious as i stated above, the world cup is a cup competition. 442 does work, take a look at wolves they proved it quite dramatically this season, but i think our best formation is 4-4-1-1, personally.

4231 is used by all of the top teams in club comps too.

When the crazy Spanish played without a striker they were world champions and also won the European Championship that way. There are some teams relying on organisation like Germany and some relying on a star player like Argentina. If Argentina or Brazil get their team working better and their star player, then a team like Germany is in big trouble.

I can't believe you didn't manage to squeeze your boy's name in there! ;)

It only didn't work for England as the players in the defensive four positions and particularly two defensive midfield positions were dreadful.

Going forward it gave us plenty of options though like Rob I would utilise Lines in the number 10 role over people like Dodds, who should only be used as back up, and Moore whose goals record is poor.

This would give us genuine strength in the centre of the park and allow Lines to be at his creative best.

Really? Well, these guys are saying the majority of PL sides (which play a full season last time I checked) use 4-2-3-1 ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3342[/ATTACH]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1813274-premier-league-revolution-formation-analysis-of-the-season-so-far

Archived