onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Teacher stabbed to death at Leeds school

JOHNNYAITCH

Advert

For as long as children are corrupted by the culture of violence that seeps in to their world through TV, films, computer games etc, and it starts to become the norm and accepted, this is always a danger. Serious questions need to be asked as to how a 15 year old can hold this much hate by this age to go and commit an act like that. I'm heartbroken for the teacher's family and colleagues, and for the pupils that have been traumatised by this incident. Rest in peace Anne McGuire, a true professional who was going about her job serving the community and helping the children she loved.

Violence has been a part of life since life began, its part of what and who we are.

In my lifetime I have seen the school system change from one of violent/physical/emotional/bullying punishments inflicted by teachers to one where control is easily lost [if we believe the press]... [i am not suggesting this has anything to do with the above case]

I was a devotee of gangster films, war films, cowboy films, horror films and science fiction, all contained violence to some degree but none of the reality of violence... I recently watched a film produced by Alfred Hitchcock "Memories from the camps".... that showed the reality.

I remember being taken to see Santa at Lewis's in hanley by my mother, and every bladdy year I got a gun.

People tend to think things have gotten worse, Im not sure they have... reported more and in greater detail definitely... but can we really compare horrors?

For as long as children are corrupted by the culture of violence that seeps in to their world through TV, films, computer games etc, and it starts to become the norm and accepted, this is always a danger. Serious questions need to be asked as to how a 15 year old can hold this much hate by this age to go and commit an act like that. I'm heartbroken for the teacher's family and colleagues, and for the pupils that have been traumatised by this incident. Rest in peace Anne McGuire, a true professional who was going about her job serving the community and helping the children she loved.

Only if you believe sensationalist media after a headline. There has been a mix of research into violent games and films. It may be true that straight after watching a violent film you are more likely to have an argument with a friend. However it doesn't necessary follow that you will commit murder. When you actually look at people who have commit violent crimes, it seeks they had less access or interest in such films/games, and the reasons are more straight forward. Upbringing, poverty, experiencing violence, domestic abuse,child abuse etc. Just because something seems like it should be true doesn't mean it is. For example, does going to boxing training (or karate etc) at a young person make you more likely to be violent? As the who point of boxing is to punch someone until they are unconscious. Or does it make them more disciplined and controlled. I don't know the answer, but it's easy to see that the most 'obvious' conclusion isn't necessarily the case.

We actually live in a less violent society than ever. It's just that we know about every violent crime like this that happens now.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228340.100-steven-pinker-humans-are-less-violent-than-ever.html#.U1810jK9KK0

That having been said, it's a terrible and shocking crime, and thoughts go out to the family. It's just a good job Michael gove has been tackling behaviour in schools by reminding teachers that they can use revolutionary techniques such as writing lines and picking up litter.

Only if you believe sensationalist media after a headline. There has been a mix of research into violent games and films. It may be true that straight after watching a violent film you are more likely to have an argument with a friend. However it doesn't necessary follow that you will commit murder. When you actually look at people who have commit violent crimes, it seeks they had less access or interest in such films/games, and the reasons are more straight forward. Upbringing, poverty, experiencing violence, domestic abuse,child abuse etc. Just because something seems like it should be true doesn't mean it is. For example, does going to boxing training (or karate etc) at a young person make you more likely to be violent? As the who point of boxing is to punch someone until they are unconscious. Or does it make them more disciplined and controlled. I don't know the answer, but it's easy to see that the most 'obvious' conclusion isn't necessarily the case.

We actually live in a less violent society than ever. It's just that we know about every violent crime like this that happens now.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228340.100-steven-pinker-humans-are-less-violent-than-ever.html#.U1810jK9KK0

That having been said, it's a terrible and shocking crime, and thoughts go out to the family. It's just a good job Michael gove has been tackling behaviour in schools by reminding teachers that they can use revolutionary techniques such as writing lines and picking up litter.

It seems to me that you think that your opinion is the only one that matters. I have read a lot of your posts , and you always have to have the last word, no matter what. It doesn't matter what the subject is, football, religion, murder etc. So , I think I'll take a break from ovf for a year . Boredom has set in at last.

It seems to me that you think that your opinion is the only one that matters. I have read a lot of your posts , and you always have to have the last word, no matter what. It doesn't matter what the subject is, football, religion, murder etc. So , I think I'll take a break from ovf for a year . Boredom has set in at last.

It's called having an opinion.

RIP, a terrbile loss to her family and friends I'm sure.

Legislation has to change and become far, far tougher. Life should mean life for terrible crimes such as this and maybe even going as far as the death penalty as a deterrant. At the moment this disgusting human being knows they will be out within 5-8 years and will probably be hero worshipped by and ever growing extremist group. Second chances will be quoted but that teacher will never have a second chance, neither will her loved ones, imagine your mother, sister or daughter going out to do a job and not coming back tonight...

Society has created situations like this simply accepting gradual deterioration in standards of behaviour and value of other peoples thoughts and feelings, its time we stood up and told the world behaviour like this will make you an outcast forever.

RIP, a terrbile loss to her family and friends I'm sure.

Legislation has to change and become far, far tougher. Life should mean life for terrible crimes such as this and maybe even going as far as the death penalty as a deterrant.

I don't agree with the death penalty and it will be interesting to find out the motive of the killer; this is a very unusual case and we;'ll have to see if anything would have been a deterrent

At the moment this disgusting human being knows they will be out within 5-8 years and will probably be hero worshipped by and ever growing extremist group.

We don't know that at all

Second chances will be quoted but that teacher will never have a second chance, neither will her loved ones, imagine your mother, sister or daughter going out to do a job and not coming back tonight...

I can't but again we don't know the motive or mindset of the murderer yet

Society has created situations like this simply accepting gradual deterioration in standards of behaviour and value of other peoples thoughts and feelings, its time we stood up and told the world behaviour like this will make you an outcast forever.

There seems to be a more casual attitude to the thoughts and feelings of others and the consequences of actions for the vicitm and their loved ones

I don't agree with the death penalty and it will be interesting to find out the motive of the killer; this is a very unusual case and we;'ll have to see if anything would have been a deterrent

There seems to be a more casual attitude to the thoughts and feelings of others and the consequences of actions for the vicitm and their loved ones

Its being reported this person was a high achieving student who was fed up of the grief his teacher was giving him, if this turns out to be as reported then surely the death penalty would be justified otherwise people could kill others on the street for throwing litter etc. There has to be hardline punishments to deter people from doing things like this.

'More casual' is a very menial way of putting it.

Its being reported this person was a high achieving student who was fed up of the grief his teacher was giving him, if this turns out to be as reported then surely the death penalty would be justified otherwise people could kill others on the street for throwing litter etc. There has to be hardline punishments to deter people from doing things like this.

'More casual' is a very menial way of putting it.

I am against the death penalty in all circumstances

quote: ("I am against the death penalty in all circumstances")

I'm in favour of the death penalty in all circumstances!

it will guarantee that they won't do it again

Empty the prisons, save the money wasted, spend it on medical research, looking after our old people properly, proper border controls,

free nursery care, free university education (for the talented youngsters) etc etc

quote: ("I am against the death penalty in all circumstances")

I'm in favour of the death penalty in all circumstances!

it will guarantee that they won't do it again

Indeed it would.. I can't argue with that and I don't agrue with that point

Empty the prisons, save the money wasted, spend it on medical research, looking after our old people properly, proper border controls,

free nursery care, free university education (for the talented youngsters) etc etc

I have never quite got why people think it's OK to kill people to save money

Anyway..mine is a moral stance..there is no argument that would change my mind..really no point in trying to

Archived