onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Teacher stabbed to death at Leeds school

JOHNNYAITCH

Whilst I can't agree that watching violent films or playing violent games makes you want to go and repeat those actions, there's no doubt in my mind that surrounding yourself with day-to-day 'manufactured' violence can desensitize an individual to the extent where gradually they can become almost immune to it, and see these barbaric actions as less of a 'big deal'.

I tend to go along with that..the big deal bit

Advert

Whilst I can't agree that watching violent films or playing violent games makes you want to go and repeat those actions, there's no doubt in my mind that surrounding yourself with day-to-day 'manufactured' violence can desensitize an individual to the extent where gradually they can become almost immune to it, and see these barbaric actions as less of a 'big deal'.

They probably think they've got another two lives left?

As far as I'm concerned the boy who did this clearly had his brain wired wrongly - his behaviour was not "normal" in any sense of the word. I would be quite happy to see him confined to a high security psychiatric hospital like Broadmoor for the duration.

The 15-year-old accused of stabbing to death his teacher chose to sit alone in lessons and would 'just stare and rock backwards and forwards' in his seat,classmates said today.

The teenager,arrested yesterday after the death of Ann Maguire,61,has been described as a depressed introvert who spent long periods online playing video games.

Police have today said they are trawling social media pages linked to the schoolboy,who used a drawing of a Grim Reaper as the banner on his Facebook page.

His profiles on Google+ and YouTube also revealed his keen interest in Dark Souls - a video game .

Classmates said today the middle-class teenager, who loved heavy metal music,felt he was an ‘outcast’ and would isolate himself in school.

One girl, from his art class, said: 'He would just sit and stare and rock backwards and forwards. We just left him on his own. He was shifty.

'He was very bright though, he was in the top sets for everything and was good at drawing too'.

I don't think it's anything new

My brother was a teacher in Doncaster and then SoT 30+ years ago and he has told me about having chairs thrown at him by pupils, threats of violence from parents, aggressive/violent pupils having to be manhandled out of class by a gang of teachers, knives in school being confiscated and so on.

Is there more of it now..I suspect so but equally we possibly hear/read more about it these days making it seem like there is more

The solution IMO as always lies with a small minority of parents who don't discipline their kids, don't teach them to have respect and so on..but it is a tiny minority

I could tell stories of 50+ years ago where teachers rapped children's knuckles with the edge of a wooden rule whilst singing nursery rhymes, caned them [excessively?] without making an entry in the punishment book, ran the length of the gym to hit a childs backside with a wooden bat or large plimsoll... I could also tell tales of teachers ridiculing, degrading and mocking children, in front of their class mates, because of their perceived inabilities or appearance... ah the good old days eh... how we miss them when they are gone

I don't think it's anything new

My brother was a teacher in Doncaster and then SoT 30+ years ago and he has told me about having chairs thrown at him by pupils, threats of violence from parents, aggressive/violent pupils having to be manhandled out of class by a gang of teachers, knives in school being confiscated and so on.

Is there more of it now..I suspect so but equally we possibly hear/read more about it these days making it seem like there is more

The solution IMO as always lies with a small minority of parents who don't discipline their kids, don't teach them to have respect and so on..but it is a tiny minority

My brother was a Woodwork and Metalwork teacher in the neck end of Newcastle (the proper one) 30 years ago. His workshops had all the tools fastened to the work benches with chains so the kids couldn't pinch them or use them as weapons in the classroom. He packed in and made a far better living making custom built bike frames!

I could tell stories of 50+ years ago where teachers rapped children's knuckles with the edge of a wooden rule whilst singing nursery rhymes, caned them [excessively?] without making an entry in the punishment book, ran the length of the gym to hit a childs backside with a wooden bat or large plimsoll... I could also tell tales of teachers ridiculing, degrading and mocking children, in front of their class mates, because of their perceived inabilities or appearance... ah the good old days eh... how we miss them when they are gone

I remember all those sort of things happening too..I don't think any sane person wants those days back; I know I don't

My brother was a Woodwork and Metalwork teacher in the neck end of Newcastle (the proper one) 30 years ago. His workshops had all the tools fastened to the work benches with chains so the kids couldn't pinch them or use them as weapons in the classroom. He packed in and made a far better living making custom built bike frames!

Jean,those who attended Hanley High and now use OVF will confirm a certain Woodwork teacher used various tools as target practice ,aimed at pupils.Sad to read about someone losing their life for no reason.

Just in reference to those calling for the death penalty; are you genuinely saying that the state should execute a 15 year-old child?

Also, if it was a deterrent, surely we would not still see horrific and utterly ridiculous incidents like this;

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/30/us-usa-execution-oklahoma-halt-idUSBREA3T00O20140430

Jean,those who attended Hanley High and now use OVF will confirm a certain Woodwork teacher used various tools as target practice ,aimed at pupils.Sad to read about someone losing their life for no reason.

It must be woodwork teachers we had a mr Thompson at burnwood he was the same

Just in reference to those calling for the death penalty; are you genuinely saying that the state should execute a 15 year-old child?

Also, if it was a deterrent, surely we would not still see horrific and utterly ridiculous incidents like this;

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/30/us-usa-execution-oklahoma-halt-idUSBREA3T00O20140430

Oklahoma has a smaller population than Wales. Since 1990, 111 people have been executed by the state. Some deterrent!

Archived