onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Development Squad. Is it worth us having one?

Jinkin John Jeffers

Advert

With costs seamingly contributing to our 60 percent of turnover wage cap. Do people think it is worth having a development squad when it is potentially stopping us adding to our immediate target of staying in league one?
I thought it was separate to the player budget? May have changed since discussed in Sept?

I thought it was separate to the player budget? May have changed since discussed in Sept?

I understood it to be a separate budget to the player budget.

To answer the op, yes it will be worth it if one or two of them make it to the first team.

Its a bone of contention whether its included or not as in September Micky Said he thought smurf was including the development squad in the 2.5 million playing budget. Perhaps the question should have been if the development squad is having a direct impact on the playing budget is it worth it?
As discussed in the Fair Play thread, Rob obtained the rules. How they were applied, have since been re-applied, is a separate question. Thus unlikely to affect the playing budget to any extent.

How long does it take to judge a Development Squad? 1 season, 5 seasons? What would happen without one, just a first team squad, no reserves? Is not the DS a convenient way of bringing on our youngsters, plus recruits from other clubs, in a formal structure. Do we know the cost of running it?

Some of the developing players....the clue is in the name! Will hopefully break through into the first team and as they are 'in house' so to speak their performances can be closely monitored over a season to coach and nurture into the way we play or indeed find another direction with what is available

I would much rather do it this way than watch a player put in a couple of decent performances when being scouted only to find when sign him he turns out to be a pile of ****

One or two of this batch have something about them and as I know one of them personally he says they are integrating and complimenting the first team players in training and think it will only be a matter of time before we see one making his debut

Don't forget the majority of the players were only given one years contract!!

I'm certain that the Dev Squad budget does not eat into the FFP salary cap thingy.

A holistic and longer term approach to player recruitment had been missing for some years. If everybody from the top of the football club downwards buys into what's trying to be achieved, it could be quite productive.

According to officialdom monies spent on youth and development squads are exempt from the fair play ruling but costs have to be accounted separately,also the rights of an owner to plough funds into his /her club which at present is refused looks like being contested in the european court and most legal opinion is that it could be lifted as it comes under the restriction of trade plus there is the Bosman hearing whch could damage or make EUFA's rulings on fair play illegal, and i thought that all the top comedians were dead and buried,apparently not.:blink:

Ask Bayern or Dortmund if bringing your own players through is worth it. German football got crippled financially a few years ago and their only resort was developing their youth. After a while in the wilderness, it looks like it's gone quite well for them

Boot and Hugil are proof that the input is starting to bear fruit. It has been the case that the"" big clubs"" have always cherry picked the best talent out of this area so the development squad is well worth while IMHO.

What is the differce between them and lawrie and lloyd weston though? I dont see the difference between the development squad and the youth set up that we have always had to be honest

Development Squad. Is it worth us having one?...

It depends on what you are trying to achieve by having one, its expensive and time consuming to have one and there are a lot of "ifs" and "buts" along the way.

I think its worth having one if every one at the club is committed to the idea.

Archived