onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Development Squad. Is it worth us having one?

Jinkin John Jeffers

Advert

It's only worth it if we ever give the players a go. Is it time to give Tom Morris a go at left back for example.

If he's good enough yes, if he isn't ready then no. Its a development squad as in the title its there to develop players for the FUTURE. We have a 1st team squad to pick from and besides we are not short of cover for the left back position.

It's only worth it if we ever give the players a go. Is it time to give Tom Morris a go at left back for example.
I don't know the lad, and there is no reason why an exceptional player should not develop quickly in a DS, they play in reserve games with some of the first team squad so if they shine why not? I suppose it depends on the quality of recruit, coaching, and showing the ability to perform in league football, but as with everything, only playing in the league will prove that.

I understand the sentiment but that's probably the worst position for a young player coming through at Vale! Jones & Dicko would take some budging

It's worth having one if it produces players good enough to play for us or improve us or to sell on and make money for the club. Also if it enables local talent to become as good as it can be, even if not good enough for Port Vale it's doinmg some good..some community good so whilst a less tangible benefit it a is a benefit of having it

No way can we make a judgement yet

It's worth having one if it produces players good enough to play for us or improve us or to sell on and make money for the club. Also if it enables local talent to become as good as it can be, even if not good enough for Port Vale it's doinmg some good..some community good so whilst a less tangible benefit it a is a benefit of having it

No way can we make a judgement yet

Not sure of course but I think this could be something Smurf and Adams would clash on as I am sure Smurf wants us to do what you say,bring players on and hopefully sell them at a later date but I don't think Adams wants to take the risk in playing them.

I understand the sentiment but Jones & Dicko would take some budging

Possibly, but Jones showed his lack of defensive qualities on Saturday. Likewise, Dicko's games at left back were poor. We seem to have had a list of less than adequate left backs from a defensive point of view. Talbot, James, The Taylors ...

I know MA would be reluctant to act, since he's only recently signed them both. Most posters seem to think our defensive frailties are down that side.

We have had good young talent through our doors in the last few years, Ryan Lloyd, Boot, Hugill, Davies etc, but we dont have a manager that picks youth, he never has (cant he remember that he was gven a chance once!). We have had a lot of young players leave too, because they want to see that their progression is recognised with first team chances which they dont here.

In the last 2 years Crewe have sold nearly £10 million in talent to premier league or championship clubs, and that is because they are given a chance by whatever manager was in charge whether it be Gradi or Davies. Mock them as much as you want but they have some good young kids that just need a chance. Steve Davies has said on many occasions that if Lloyd was at Crewe he would be a first team regular because he is that good a footballer, and that his career is being ruined by being here where he wont get a chance. Look at Sam Morsy as an example of how not to treat a young talent, he is starring at Chesterfield, week in and week out, with confidence given to him by a manager that wont rollock him for one silly mistake.

Is the development squad financially worth it, well at the minute no because no talent is being allowed through so we are paying for something we are not using. I have a hunch that this issue is one of the major stumbling blocks with the contract of Micky Adams, Mr Smurthwaite wants us to use the development squad more to help bring sellable talent through, and Micky wants that money to bring in players that have had experience at lower league clubs that 'may' help the cause.

Barring Chris Robertson and Chris lines, Im not sure Mickys re-signing policy and some of the new or old players he bought in are working at the minute IMHO.

We have had good young talent through our doors in the last few years, Ryan Lloyd, Boot, Hugill, Davies etc, but we dont have a manager that picks youth, 1 he never has (cant he remember that he was gven a chance once!). 2 We have had a lot of young players leave too, because they want to see that their progression is recognised with first team chances which they dont here.

3 In the last 2 years Crewe have sold nearly £10 million in talent to premier league or championship clubs, and that is because they are given a chance by whatever manager was in charge whether it be Gradi or Davies. Mock them as much as you want but they have some good young kids that just need a chance. 4 Steve Davies has said on many occasions that if Lloyd was at Crewe he would be a first team regular because he is that good a footballer, and that his career is being ruined by being here where he wont get a chance. Look at Sam Morsy as an 5 example of how not to treat a young talent, he is starring at Chesterfield, week in and week out, with confidence given to him by a manager that wont rollock him for 6 one silly mistake.

Is the development squad financially worth it, well at the minute no because no talent is being allowed through so we are paying for something we are not using. I have a hunch that this issue is one of the major stumbling blocks with the contract of Micky Adams, Mr Smurthwaite wants us to use the development squad more to help bring sellable talent through, and Micky wants that money to bring in players that have had experience at lower league clubs that 'may' help the cause.

Barring Chris Robertson and Chris lines, Im not sure Mickys re-signing policy and some of the new or old players he bought in are working at the minute IMHO.

1. Yes he has.

2. Where are they now? If they were good enough they'd have made it. If they aren't, they won't.

3. Whilst that is admirable, where has it really got them? They're below us in the league.

4. When has he said this? Not doubting you just I've never seen it. Every time I've seen Lloyd he's looked no where near good enough. Not as good as joe cardle, and he wasn't good enough.

5. If that player is disrespecting his manager then it is exactly the correct way to treat them.

6. It was a lot more than 1 stupid mistake. There were 3 incidents within 12 months, and 2 of them were a fortnight apart.

1. Yes he has.

2. Where are they now? If they were good enough they'd have made it. If they aren't, they won't.

3. Whilst that is admirable, where has it really got them? They're below us in the league.

4. When has he said this? Not doubting you just I've never seen it. Every time I've seen Lloyd he's looked no where near good enough. Not as good as joe cardle, and he wasn't good enough.

5. If that player is disrespecting his manager then it is exactly the correct way to treat them.

6. It was a lot more than 1 stupid mistake. There were 3 incidents within 12 months, and 2 of them were a fortnight apart.

a few opinions might change after tonight.

Archived