onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is Staying Up Good Enough

Tiny p

Advert

Are you answering a question with a question? ;)

Surely staying up and consolidating is good enough for most isn't it? Anything else is a big bonus....

Its not a question... its a statement.

The original question is a simple one but the answer is complicated and depends what the end target is.

Lets imagine we stay up but performances are dire, nicking the needed points to avoid the drop, but attendances drop below the break even point... is that enough?... wouldnt that possibly lower next years budget?... couldnt that mean we have to lose players [i realise some feel that would be a good thing]?... who would we replace them with when we have less money to spend?

So... just staying up isnt good enough... staying up with some improvements and development is better and might be good enough

Look back over the last few years and what has happened... damn straight stayng up is enough. If the club can't make significant onfield investment because of the rules and the off field avenues aren't up to speed then it makes sense to keep the ship steady on field and build the off field enterprise.

When teams suddenly become successful they either have a huge amount of money but nothing to fall back on (that's when clubs go into admin) or they make sure there is a sound foundation. Vale are doing this: development squad, off field enterprises and improvements to the stadium.

I think Objective No 1 so to speak has to be to stay up first and foremost. However I think we are a bit better than 20th place so in terms of the players actually bettering themselves or saying they've achieved something then we perhaps need to do more. Mid-table I'd say would be a decent achievement, anything higher would be very good!

It's certainly not a bad league with some of the sides in League One and the calibre of those that should be doing better like Sheffield and Bristol City but there is also some average-poor sides too(Tranmere I didn't think offered a lot for example and something has/is certainly gone/going on at Crewe to make them look pretty crappy at the moment after a couple of good seasons.

To answer the question is staying up good enough, yes but I'd like to think we could do better!:)

Archived