onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Build the team around Hughesy....

Advert

I just find it amazing that over the last 8 games or so, hughes has been blamed for pope not scoring, yet he hasnt when also played with dodds, williamson, and andrew (but its still hughes fault!). Yet he is the only one who has a decent scoring record in the games he has started.

Only the stupidest fans in the world would want to drop a 27 goal striker , well done vale fans.

Maybe. But how much longer do you give him to rediscover his scoring touch? Is it now two months since he scored last?

We need some pace up front and Williamson gives is that. Hughes has the predatory instinct still. I'd start with that for now with Dodds just behind them. With this triad, we have pace, instinct and surprise.

I just find it amazing that over the last 8 games or so, hughes has been blamed for pope not scoring, yet he hasnt when also played with dodds, williamson, and andrew (but its still hughes fault!). Yet he is the only one who has a decent scoring record in the games he has started.

Spot on, as much as i like pope, i think he needs a rest for a couple of games. Hughes to start with Williamson,on yesterday's showing Birchall should start as well, also Burge.

Hughes is good for 60-70 mins

Then what after 60-70 mins? Tom as an impact sub?he ain't that type of player.You can play with stats all you like.That consolation goal yesterday was Hughes' first in 6 games,on the bench or starting(it would have been 7 but for the game he missed through illness).The fact he has been on the bench is possibly he can't play 2 games a week? Whichever way you look at it Tom is a workhorse every match.Agreed ,struggling at the moment.I may be wrong but I can't see Hughes having the stamina to play as often from the start as he used to.He was mostly used as a sub at Notts Co.I think him and Ben Willo are ideal for that role.

Spot on, as much as i like pope, i think he needs a rest for a couple of games. Hughes to start with Williamson,on yesterday's showing Birchall should start as well, also Burge.

Im not arguing to drop pope, im just stating that people have been desperate to avoid suggesting that pope is on a poor scoring run (it happens to all strikers most seasons) that they slate a decent player we have. Its bonkers.

And we shouldnt make a big deal out of players having to play every single game or they are labelled as 'dropped'. The best in the prem spend time on the bench (Rooney, tevez, etc).

In my opinion for what it's worth, I don't think that Pope has done well in any of the last 5 or so games. Even when he's had the opportunity to score he hasn't. Hughes on the otherhand seems to have a knack of finding the onion bag even when he seems to be having a not so good game. Therefore I would play my current strongest 11 and that would include playing Hughes and Williamson from the stsrt and unfortunately dropping Pope to the bench and using him to replace Hughes later on in the game.

Then what after 60-70 mins? Tom as an impact sub?he ain't that type of player.You can play with stats all you like.That consolation goal yesterday was Hughes' first in 6 games,on the bench or starting(it would have been 7 but for the game he missed through illness).The fact he has been on the bench is possibly he can't play 2 games a week? Whichever way you look at it Tom is a workhorse every match.Agreed ,struggling at the moment.I may be wrong but I can't see Hughes having the stamina to play as often from the start as he used to.He was mostly used as a sub at Notts Co.I think him and Ben Willo are ideal for that role.

You raise a good point about pope not been an impact sub. This is why I can't for the life of me think why we signed Andrews. I'm not saying leave pope out forever by the way. just change the focus. hughesy is scoring popey isn't so surely it best to support the striker who is more likely to score

You raise a good point about pope not been an impact sub. This is why I can't for the life of me think why we signed Andrews. I'm not saying leave pope out forever by the way. just change the focus. hughesy is scoring popey isn't so surely it best to support the striker who is more likely to score

Popey away,Hughesy at home?either way not together,we're too static.Willo or Dodds with one or the other?

Archived