onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Exeter City (H) match thread - 13th April

Vtid

Advert

28 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think another phenomenon at clubs like Port Vale is that some players stick around who could play at higher level. There can be different reasons for that, albeit I'm saying only a few players have been like that. My take on Suker was that he was a fraction of the player I remember at Tranmere. Right at the very end of his career. 

In the Rudge era the ones that stuck around generally had a flaw. Foyle wasn't quite quick enough to be a second or big enough to be a line leading forward. Glover wasn't quite tall enough or quick enough, Aspin lacked finesse. Naylor was not very tall and got into the game quite late. Quite a few also came because they'd spent a long time as squad players and genuinely wanted regular games. The mystery was Ray Walker, he lacked a little pace maybe but read the game so well it didn't matter. There wasn't much between him and Horton,  the latter had a very good top flight career.

• Like 5

Let's get into them today Vale. None of this standing off as on Wednesday. Also at least try to get into their half. I've never walked out or turned off early as many times as I have this season and I usually stay to the very end. Just show you mean to get a win and I'll be there at the end as long as the effort is there.

Sent from my CPH2195 using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JRC said:

In the Rudge era the ones that stuck around generally had a flaw. Foyle wasn't quite quick enough to be a second or big enough to be a line leading forward. Glover wasn't quite tall enough or quick enough, Aspin lacked finesse. Naylor was not very tall and got into the game quite late. Quite a few also came because they'd spent a long time as squad players and genuinely wanted regular games. The mystery was Ray Walker, he lacked a little pace maybe but read the game so well it didn't matter. There wasn't much between him and Horton,  the latter had a very good top flight career.

What about Ian Bogie? He was quite good 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

So he could of played in Division one ( Premier league as we now know it ). 

Can't agree there. 

In the modern game, with foreign players allowed, the Premier League is the strongest in the world or right up there with La Liga et al. But also the strongest going back in time for the same reason - large numbers of foreign players. And good for that of course. 

So I think keeping players who could play higher is confined to the difference between L2 and L1 and the difference between L1 and the Championship. I think we only have one player good enough to play at Championship level and thats Ripley. But clearly he should have got there by now and therefore maybe I'm just wrong about that. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Warren said:

In the modern game, with foreign players allowed, the Premier League is the strongest in the world or right up there with La Liga et al. But also the strongest going back in time for the same reason - large numbers of foreign players. And good for that of course. 

So I think keeping players who could play higher is confined to the difference between L2 and L1 and the difference between L1 and the Championship. I think we only have one player good enough to play at Championship level and thats Ripley. But clearly he should have got there by now and therefore maybe I'm just wrong about that. 

Ripley 😭 give over mate! There’s a reason he’s been in two relegation battles in league one back to back now. Nobody in the top 6 would touch him never mind the championship 

Edited by Vtid
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Warren said:

Ripley is our best keeper for a while ( low bar ). For me he's too emotional. The amount of times he argues with Smith is puddled.

He's not Championship level or someone would have taken him from Morecambe. 

• Like 2

So he could of played in Division one ( Premier league as we now know it ). 
Can't agree there. 
I would agree that would be a subject for debate and opinion. Personally I think he could have held his own. From what I understand is the reason he was never sold on, was because Villa had a big sell on clause in his sale contract. Whether we ever had any enquiries from Div 1 clubs at the time I do not know.

Sent from my SM-A528B using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Ripley is our best keeper for a while ( low bar ). For me he's too emotional. The amount of times he argues with Smith is puddled.

He's not Championship level or someone would have taken him from Morecambe. 

Decent enough for league 1 but that’s his ceiling. Apart from shot stopping he’s pretty average to be honest. Kicking is hit & miss & he doesn’t command his area well enough for someone so big. Rarely comes for a cross 

Edited by Vtid