onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darren Moore

Rory

Advert

12 hours ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

Does that make it right? Why follow the trend? Why waste a wage?

Do yourself a favour, if you’re employed by OUR football club, and listen to Tony Pulis on Undr The Cosh. 
He touches on how the manager should be buying the players and it doesn’t work when someone else buys the players.

It’s absolutely scandalous that this was allowed to happen here at Vale. Where a DOF bought the players. A DOF told the manager how to play. A DOF told the manager what formation we will use. A DOF told the manager we are playing our own kids to make money and taking on other teams kids on loan to build relationships. Flitcroft may as well just sat in the dugout every Saturday with the influence and input he was having!

And people say “even Forest Green have one”. 
Yeah. 
Look where they are. 

If it’s Moore or whoever. Let that man identify the targets HE wants and nobody else. Let him have the say in contract length. 

It worked for over 100 years. 
We are about to go into the 4th division. 
We’ve already got a ridiculous amount of staff employed at this club. 

I’ve always said in the lower leagues managers can complicate football with their modern day coaching ideas. 
I will also say that owners can also complicate football with a DOF, multiple football scientists, other staff who we really don’t need. 
Just keep it simple. 

In the last two decades we’ve had Micky Adams and Darrell Clarke who have achieved real success. 
Clarke probably won’t give us time of day anymore but somebody at the club should be going cap in hand to Micky Adams. Asking for his advice. 
Even swallow the (what seems to be from the outside) the pompous attitude and go to Popey, Yatesy, Duffy, Hughesy, Birchall, Griff, Dicko, and others and get their advice.

What would be an absolute catastrophe is signing “nice lads”, putting little videos out of them basically being told what to say when they sign, hiring a DOF who says I’m signing the players, we will play tippy tappy crap, not put in a tackle, and our formation will be 3-5-2 every week.

Been there. Done that. It’s been more of an on field circus this year than under Smurthwaite and I never ever thought I’d say that. 

Keep it simple. Manager. His targets. His players. Leave him to manage. Stay away from a DOF. Surround ourselves with good old ex pros who love the club who can offer a touch of advice here and there as we go and let’s get back to being Port Vale Football Club again instead of Port Vale Corporate business.

All the fans care about is the football. 
That’s the biggest learning curve that’s needed.

Nailed it, nothing more to say. Spunk Trumpet for DOF ?🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Carol isn’t so old that we need to be thinking about that. She could do another 20 years easy. 

What League would we be in then.

Brown Edge and District Division 3 but with Robbie Williams as President and some New Toilets in the Railway Stand and still   aiming to be Championship Ready!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure we NEED a director of football but we do need a team of scouts headed by somebody to oversee it all and work with Moore in getting an entire new squad. Somebody the fans know and like would be ideal. Maybe Martin Foyle (who is apparently a scout for St Mirren) or somebody with an affiliation to the club would go a way to helping Carol repair things with the fans. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, davehartshill said:

Not sure we NEED a director of football but we do need a team of scouts headed by somebody to oversee it all and work with Moore in getting an entire new squad. Somebody the fans know and like would be ideal. Maybe Martin Foyle (who is apparently a scout for St Mirren) or somebody with an affiliation to the club would go a way to helping Carol repair things with the fans. 

That’s a fair point. To sign dreadful players you need to be finding them and Flitcroft wasn’t doing that on his own. Our scout network has been appalling for years. We seem to make lazy signings that are either obviously poor to anyone with a basic knowledge of the league or are at best adequate for the money. 

Last signing we made on a permanent deal who surprised me at how good they were was Garrity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Rudgey and MA did just fine without a DOF didn't they , I'm confident DM doesn't really require a DOF but that's the owners call 🤔

That was back in the day when a manager was a manager not a head coach or any other term they may be called now. Things have moved on since then. We may not need a DOF (I think we do, with Carol in charge) but we cannot have a manager in control of everything, especially not Moore.

1 minute ago, TJHValiant said:

That’s a fair point. To sign dreadful players you need to be finding them and Flitcroft wasn’t doing that on his own. Our scout network has been appalling for years. We seem to make lazy signings that are either obviously poor to anyone with a basic knowledge of the league or are at best adequate for the money. 

Last signing we made on a permanent deal who surprised me at how good they were was Garrity. 

I'd agree. And also the Legge/Hall deal was a piece of genius.

He wasn't his usual self in League one but I don't half miss Hall. A skilled defender who could actually pass a football and was composed. 

We now have the Jones 200 yard punt out of play or Smith and Debrah treating it like a hot potato and unable to control the ball. 

• Like 2

A DoF/Sporting Director/Technical Director is manifestly a good idea with how football has changed from the days of Rudge- we just employed the wrong individual into it and got the scrutiny all wrong. 

If you had all control to a manager you impinge on the amount of time and energy he spends on day-to-day coaching and match prep, and also undergo big shifts every two years when the manager inevitably leaves - as 90% do in football.

Don’t throw the baby out the bathwater.

• Like 3

Like others have said in both the Fleetwood Game and on Saturday their managers changed shape and tortured us down the Flanks
What did Moore do to combat it, nothing.
I know the players are not great but you still have to react to what is happening on the Pitch, Moore is Clueless and if he is still at Vale at Christmas I will be amazed.
 By the Way if I was the Owner and heard that he’s going to resign if we are relegated he would be Down the Road Immediately.

So you would pay their contract up costing a small fortune on the basis that they are likely to walk away in a few weeks time costing you nothing

28 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

That was back in the day when a manager was a manager not a head coach or any other term they may be called now. Things have moved on since then. We may not need a DOF (I think we do, with Carol in charge) but we cannot have a manager in control of everything, especially not Moore.

As we see from the past, either model can work but you need to decide what you want and then hire the right people to suit that management model. We are between stools at the moment and you are right to point out the weaknesses of our Owners as regards football.

1 hour ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Rudgey and MA did just fine without a DOF didn't they , I'm confident DM doesn't really require a DOF but that's the owners call 🤔

They did..but Rudge was back in the 90s and MA was largely in the 4th division and was 15 years ago now. The game has changed. 

Although I do agree with the point that a rubbish manger on his own will still be rubbish with or without a DOF, but a rubbish DOF will still be a rubbish DOF. A good DOF is one that lets a good manager focus on the football. 

I thought Flitcroft was allowed too much reign on the actual football.

2 hours ago, Granville said:

Whats more worrying is he will own the club one day. Every conman and shyster will be on our doorstep wanting a slice of the pie and he'll fall for it. 

Christ, he'd probably bring Flitcroft back.

When, I think of Patrick. He reminds me of the character Mike Teevee, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. With his besotted mother. 

Edited by Playa Amodores
  • Haha 1