David Flitcroft Out

Flitcroft out?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should David Flitcroft go?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not if we get relegated.

No chance. He is here for the foreseeable. He's an easy target when emotions are running high, I am as guilty of that as anyone, but you can't judge a director of football in the same light as a manager. A managers job is getting results in the here and now, they live or die by results. The director of footballs job is more about the long term so can only really be judged in 2/3 year cycles. Case for Flitcrofts defense is that 2 out of 3 managerial appointments in my eyes have been good (and even the harshest critic would struggle to say Crosby didn't deserve a chance given the job he did in the promotion season when Darryl was off), the loan signings we are getting are better season on season because players report back that they had a great experience and those links with big clubs are developing (Rhys Williams was a gamble worth taking because he would be immense in League 1) and I do think Gore will be pivotal because he is a huge upgrade on Massey as a wingback) and the signings are better too. Remember the days of Danny Pugh and Anthony Kay in midfield (shudder). Ultimately he will be judged on next season, not this. As for this transfer window, January windows are frenetic. You have 30 days to sort everything and not much could be done until funds were freed up. Ultimately the collapse of Uches move to Charlton and subsequent injury meant those expected funds never came. Just wasn't the time for plan B after that. Its a bit like moving house, you are waiting for 2 or 3 things to happen and if one falls through it puts paid for everyone. I moved back in with my parents temporarily before Christmas while I rented a new flat. I'm still here and it's nearly March. The one wildcard is the free agent market and playing for Darren Moore is a much more appealing prospect than playing for Andy Crosby so may still come good. Also has a lot more relevant contacts and players who have played with him before. The rumour I've heard is Dwight Gayle- he's desperate for a short term deal to put him in the shop window, lives locally and did well under Darren Moore at Sheffield Wednesday. He doesn't need the money, just the game time.

Edited by fuzzyvalefan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Advert

32 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

Ultimately he will be judged on next season, not this. 

Nah I think we'll judge him on this one, thanks. 

As for this transfer window, January windows are frenetic. You have 30 days to sort everything and not much could be done until funds were freed up.

Everyone else managed it. Even Fleetwood without a manager and with their bankrolling owner in prison. That excuse doesn't come out in the wash.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Alfie1962 said:

I would say the loan signings are getting worse.  Devine and Arblaster out Gore and Weir in, plus Williams from Liverpool who we sacked off without playing.

How many young players were out there and better than those two? 

We were never going to be able to replace them with better young loan players. We should have changed tactic 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

No chance. He is here for the foreseeable. He's an easy target when emotions are running high, I am as guilty of that as anyone, but you can't judge a director of football in the same light as a manager. A managers job is getting results in the here and now, they live or die by results. The director of footballs job is more about the long term so can only really be judged in 2/3 year cycles. Case for Flitcrofts defense is that 2 out of 3 managerial appointments in my eyes have been good (and even the harshest critic would struggle to say Crosby didn't deserve a chance given the job he did in the promotion season when Darryl was off), the loan signings we are getting are better season on season because players report back that they had a great experience and those links with big clubs are developing (Rhys Williams was a gamble worth taking because he would be immense in League 1) and I do think Gore will be pivotal because he is a huge upgrade on Massey as a wingback) and the signings are better too. Remember the days of Danny Pugh and Anthony Kay in midfield (shudder). Ultimately he will be judged on next season, not this. As for this transfer window, January windows are frenetic. You have 30 days to sort everything and not much could be done until funds were freed up. Ultimately the collapse of Uches move to Charlton and subsequent injury meant those expected funds never came. Just wasn't the time for plan B after that. Its a bit like moving house, you are waiting for 2 or 3 things to happen and if one falls through it puts paid for everyone. I moved back in with my parents temporarily before Christmas while I rented a new flat. I'm still here and it's nearly March. The one wildcard is the free agent market and playing for Darren Moore is a much more appealing prospect than playing for Andy Crosby so may still come good. Also has a lot more relevant contacts and players who have played with him before. The rumour I've heard is Dwight Gayle- he's desperate for a short term deal to put him in the shop window, lives locally and did well under Darren Moore at Sheffield Wednesday. He doesn't need the money, just the game time.

History is littered with failures who had a plan...

21 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Gore and Weir might have been OK with a preseason but they don't look ready to battle now.

To be fair Gore has only played 60 mins since he joined so a tad unfair to judge him yet. Weir hasn’t done much agreed 

The long term plan includes three completely flawed ideologies:

a) All youth players up for sale.

b) Loans in to develop young players for other clubs.

c) An "Identity" (we play one way only)

This is nonsense. We should be developing our own young players, keeping hold of the best ones and bringing them through when the time is right.

Loans are almost always awful and have no long term benefit to PVFC. Arblaster and Devine were very good players but brought their own issues. (Unavailable when kids international duty was on and recalled early when their parent clubs realised it had gone really well for the players)

Always playing one way, one system, makes us so predictable. If you have better players than the opposition all over the pitch, fair enough. We don't! All the other teams in this division have strikers that cause our defenders problems and defenders that easily cope with our strikers. 

Our biggest issue though,

d) Rucruitment of players! Carol has, in my opinion, lost sight of what PVFC is. We're a football club. We need to have a football team that the supporters (and the local community) are proud of. Look at how much good the promotion season and the Wembly trip did for everyone in the area! 

L1 is very poor this season and, if recruitment had been better, we'd be comfortably in mid table now and planning how to strengthen further in the summer. 

I don't want to overspend on players, but I'd rather have a team of players that can play every game. We've got players like Grant, Cass, Jones, Wilson, Uche, Clarke, etc... who are all injury prone and are only available for a small percentage of the time. 

Our "back three" must have been chopped and changed more than any other teams defence! We play a different combination every single match and change it several times every game because of injury! 

If recruitment is an issue, if we're constantly missing our targets, then we're not competitive on wages. The playing budget needs to be a higher priority than many of the things going on in the background. 

We can get the facilities "Championship-ready" in the summer following our promotion to that level! We're going to have the best ground in L2 next season. Dozens of away fans will be impressed by our fancy scoreboard! 

• Like 5

How many years will it take to be Championship Ready? How many years for Pompey? It took the Owls 2 years with their money, and it doesn't look if they were ready. Concentrate on building an L1 team first, the facilities will grow in parallel, there will be time. Where does the money come from? Sustainability or windfalls? That is the question.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Emile said:

How many young players were out there and better than those two? 

We were never going to be able to replace them with better young loan players. We should have changed tactic 

Gore came with a reputation which was equal to Devine and Ollie. Can't be judged on 60 mins but did not hit the ground running. I agree we needed to change tactic but loaning young players is part of DF masterplan. They won't always come off and we are suffering for that now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

He looked exactly what he is, a technically gifted young player with zero experience of mens football.

He did but it’s incredibly harsh to judge him on 60mins against top of the league in a game we were totally dominated & outplayed. When he’s had a run in the team I’ll come back to you on him 👍🏻 

• Like 1

Just now, Vtid said:

He did but it’s incredibly harsh to judge him on 60mins against top of the league in a game we were totally dominated & outplayed. When he’s had a run in the team I’ll come back to you on him 👍🏻 

He is not what we need right now though,  he needs a preseason to get up to speed. He will be returning to his parent club by the time he has had a run in the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Gore and Weir might have been OK with a preseason but they don't look ready to battle now.

Replacing Devine and Arblaster with 2 loan signings as good is nearly impossible. So why let Conlon go in January, so far what I have seen of Weir he is not as good a player as Conlon. Keep Conlon until the end of season then release if need be. One less for DF to cock up, let him concentrate more on bringing a loan striker instead of 2 midfielders.

• Like 2