onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New Manager is ?

Fosse69

27 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Portsmouth appointed a 37 year old with no managerial experience in January 2023. Now they have played 61, won 31, 50.82% win rate, currently top of L1.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

This is what ive been trying to say. Look at others doing well. 

Pete wild was appointed from non league and had previously coached England amputees!

Michael Duff was succesful in his first managerial job with Cheltenham after being a coach for a couple of years. 

Neill Collins has taken Barnsley to fifth. He was appointed from tampa bay rowdies. 

Oxford are 7th and their manager came from a team in India and had previously coached in Australia. 

John Rudge was successful in his first managerial position too.

(Its also notable how many were previous players at their clubs)

Why was it fine for all these teams who are finding success, but the cheap and disastrous option for us. We need to right person for us, and if its that persons first managerial position with is then ill give him a chance to prove himself. 

Advert

3 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

Thanks, you've just illustrated this point perfectly:
Whoever is appointed will probably displease half the fan base, especially on here!

The problem is & you can not have a go at Vale fans for thinking this, we have just tried the route of giving a coach his first managerial appointment which he made a right mess of.

Rightly or wrongly, it's now given the supporter base the impression ,that getting an inexperienced manager is a cheap option and what we have just had virtually all season, will happen again.

Vale were a basket case club for years. Neglected badly. The last 5 years have seen ambitious attempts to rectify the situation.

Resources have been spread across, imo, too many areas too quickly, with on field resources suffering.

My point is that it wasn't, and still isn't, a good place for an inexperienced manager.

17 minutes ago, JohnDoe said:

This is what ive been trying to say. Look at others doing well. 

Pete wild was appointed from non league and had previously coached England amputees!

Michael Duff was succesful in his first managerial job with Cheltenham after being a coach for a couple of years. 

Neill Collins has taken Barnsley to fifth. He was appointed from tampa bay rowdies. 

Oxford are 7th and their manager came from a team in India and had previously coached in Australia. 

John Rudge was successful in his first managerial position too.

(Its also notable how many were previous players at their clubs)

Why was it fine for all these teams who are finding success, but the cheap and disastrous option for us. We need to right person for us, and if that person indi there first managerial position with is then ill give him a chance to prove himself. 

I agree with all this. You don't even mention McKenna, Mousinho, and Bell.

Andy Crosby was not an up and coming coach. He was 15+ years deep, and his recent career had been at NI U21s and some fairly uneventful and unsuccessful spells as assistant at Hull and Sheffield United. It was plainly obvious to most that it was a daft appointment and that is why many are calling for Flitcroft to go - the average punter seemed to have a better grasp on the situation than the man paid and tasked with doing so.

Despite this, we can't then assume all untested managers are bad or not right. It's a risk, completely, to go unproven - but can we afford a proven + successful manager? Probably not. The very best manager we can afford is probably not a first-team manager right now. 

My concern is I've not got faith in Flitcroft to get it right - his appointment of Crosby without due process has shattered any illusion that he's a good decision-maker. If an idiot like me on a forum can see it wasn't a very good idea, then why didn't he? 

I think a key element to all this is whether you think it is 'certain' that we're down or not. I really don't think we are. We probably need 6 wins from 18 games, so someone to come in and deliver 33% (which is usually considered a bit naff - Crosby got 32%) and maybe a draw or two. 

We're likely to have 8 games after mid-March, which is where Garrity, Clark, and Plant have been suggested to be available - and we'll look a much different team.

If the new boss picks up 3-4 wins in the next 10 games, which I think most competent managers should be able to do, we'll be sound. 

I agree that young inexperienced coaches can make great managers.
In this situation however I think it’s too much of a risk for us.
I unfortunately think it is what we will end up with.

But we appointed an experienced coach, Portsmouth appointed a player.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

He showed enough contrition to be convicted for assault 8 years later, and still rocked up to adulation to PVFC fans. He's an awful man. The things they did aren't even comparable, contrition or otherwise. 

Whilst I get people have a nasty taste in their mouth over Robinson and don't want him as manager, I don't think moral superiority is something we can latch on to as a fanbase. We sold that right in 2013.

We are the football club , mate # The fans

2 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I agree with all this. You don't even mention McKenna, Mousinho, and Bell.

Andy Crosby was not an up and coming coach. He was 15+ years deep, and his recent career had been at NI U21s and some fairly uneventful and unsuccessful spells as assistant at Hull and Sheffield United. It was plainly obvious to most that it was a daft appointment and that is why many are calling for Flitcroft to go - the average punter seemed to have a better grasp on the situation than the man paid and tasked with doing so.

Despite this, we can't then assume all untested managers are bad or not right. It's a risk, completely, to go unproven - but can we afford a proven + successful manager? Probably not. The very best manager we can afford is probably not a first-team manager right now. 

My concern is I've not got faith in Flitcroft to get it right - his appointment of Crosby without due process has shattered any illusion that he's a good decision-maker. If an idiot like me on a forum can see it wasn't a very good idea, then why didn't he? 

I mentioned mousinho in my first post about it. I didnt even go into the championship examples. 

Imagine if Barcelona had gone for a more experienced manager in 2008 instead of the cheap option. 

7 minutes ago, JohnDoe said:

I mentioned mousinho in my first post about it. I didnt even go into the championship examples. 

Imagine if Barcelona had gone for a more experienced manager in 2008 instead of the cheap option. 

Imagine comparing Barcelona to Port Vale

5 minutes ago, JohnDoe said:

You shouldn't cite exceptions to the rule to back up your argument.

Either Barcelona got extremely lucky in 2008 or they saw the incredible coaching ability in Pep.

Maybe Dave and Carol wanted Andy cuz he was cheap, or maybe they genuinely thought he was the best man for the job. Perhaps both.

If they now think they've spotted a great manager that nobody else has seen then I wouldn't be convinced.

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

He showed enough contrition to be convicted for assault 8 years later, and still rocked up to adulation to PVFC fans. He's an awful man. The things they did aren't even comparable, contrition or otherwise. 

Whilst I get people have a nasty taste in their mouth over Robinson and don't want him as manager, I don't think moral superiority is something we can latch on to as a fanbase. We sold that right in 2013.

The club signed him, not the fans - and not everyone was delighted about it. 

Archived