onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (A) match thread - Jan 13th

robf

Advert

I fully supported the Reading fans today and clapped and sang in support, however I would make the following points :

a) Many Vale fans on the coach were aware that there was a planned pitch invasion at approximately 16 minutes, if Vale fans knew, then certainly the Reading management, stewards and Berkshire Constabulary MUST have known.......but they all seemed to have no plan whatsoever to combat any disruption. 

Why did they not at least put netting on the first 10 rows of seats to deter a pitch invasion, they do it to separate fans?

b) Why did not one person from Reading FC, neither a director, the manager, Team Captain or any players attempt to reason with the mob to try and get them to disperse, they had made their point and I'm sure if at least the Team Captain, or some of the more senior players had gone onto the pitch and reasoned with the ringleaders that they wanted/needed to conclude the match then maybe they would have left.

c) We often complain about the tannoy system at Vale Park but theirs was awful, you could hardly make out any of what they were trying to say.

d) On reflection, it seems to me that Reading FC made no effort whatsoever to remove the fans, indeed it seemed almost like they wanted the game abandoned, maybe some ulterior motive at hand ?, although I have no idea just what.

e) Regards what happens next, well I assume they may be made to play some home games behind closed doors, whether or not that includes our replayed game I don't know. But I would like at least my gate money refunded, my 'contract' with Reading FC was to watch 90 minutes of football at a cost of £21.00. Due to circumstances definitely within their control I was denied and feel that I am well within my rights to receive a full refund.

f) Finally, well done Vale fans in attendance today, you were a credit to our club, SVA.

I'm sure I could go on, and will probably think of plenty more to say and plenty may counter-argue and fair-do's if you do. 

I wait with baited breath for Brians match report as I am sure he said he would be there ? 

One other point, Vale fans may have protested at games in the past, but we never got a game abandoned, they made their point and should have then left the pitch and allowed the game to conclude. It's not something I ever wish to witness 'live' again. 

Must say I do have slightly less sympathy for them as they’ve got here simply due to overspending. It’s not like us with smurthwaite where he was refusing to fund even the basic level of the club. Instead they’ve spent millions upon millions of pounds that they don’t have. As I saw someone else say - the likes of Sam Smith, Andy Carroll et al won’t have come cheap. Appreciate it’s not the fan’s fault though so do feel a bit sorry for them.

The policing was ridiculous as well. How many vale games have we seen an army of police show up for a game that would never have any trouble like Cheltenham or someone. Then here as jacko said, they’ve been saying all week what would happen. So why were there only 4 of them?!

Must say I do have slightly less sympathy for them as they’ve got here simply due to overspending. It’s not like us with smurthwaite where he was refusing to fund even the basic level of the club. Instead they’ve spent millions upon millions of pounds that they don’t have. As I saw someone else say - the likes of Sam Smith, Andy Carroll et al won’t have come cheap. Appreciate it’s not the fan’s fault though so do feel a bit sorry for them.
Owners been pumping 20 mill a season in to keep them afloat

And we have to be given the win as far as I’m concerned. Vale should refuse a replay. Why should we go back down to them again? We showed up to try and fulfil the fixture and they are the ones who stopped it. If we play midweek for example, we’ll take way less fans, and then be more tired for the next Saturday game. So we would be getting put at a disadvantage through no fault of our own.

1 minute ago, Bimbleabout said:
4 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Owners been pumping 20 mill a season in to keep them afloat

Christ! See this is my point. If you’re in that much trouble, why are you paying so much out in wages? Sam smith was being chased by most clubs in the division so I imagine he’s on a pretty sizeable wage. 

1 hour ago, Connolly said:

I understand and support the reading fans who protested today, seems many of who made the effort to travel down today did too, those whinging ought pipe down....  But that's just my onions, you have the right to protest people protesting, the same freedom allows me to express how boring you are 🙂this is Staffordshire not china, class our land 

Not on the pitch. That's a criminal offence.

2 hours ago, dazzerjames said:

No but you could see on the tv about 6 Coppers in the ground and others have said the same who were there.

do I need to have been there to agree if todays match being abandoned is the police’s fault 

Was anyone injured ? Did anyone assault anyone , cause any damage ? 

There were more than 6 police in the ground, and plenty more outside. Watching on TV really doesn't give the whole picture.

Christ! See this is my point. If you’re in that much trouble, why are you paying so much out in wages? Sam smith was being chased by most clubs in the division so I imagine he’s on a pretty sizeable wage. 
For sure. I think they gambled on getting back in the prem but stumbled at the last hurdle and now they have this mess.
When did they sign Sam Smith?

2 minutes ago, Bimbleabout said:

For sure. I think they gambled on getting back in the prem but stumbled at the last hurdle and now they have this mess.
When did they sign Sam Smith? emoji848.png

The summer, so even after they came down and knew they were on their arse they were still shelling out money they didn’t have.

EFL have to hand out a punishment that sets a precedent. 10 pts deduction and play x amount of home games behind closed doors.

Thing is if this is let off what is to stop fans from other clubs doing the same if their club is say going to be relegated as a result stands. 

The game must be replayed and more than likely behind closed doors.

Feel sorry for Reading fans but there is a right way and wrong way of protesting- this was the wrong way - more harm than good.

Feel gutted for our away fans some compensation must be in order.

Strange old game as they say.

Not long back, first chance to post, was clapping their supporters at the beginning however for me their point had been made and they should have come off the pitch to allow the game to be restarted.  They feel like not been listened to by chucking the tennis balls and a pitch protest for half an hour certainly get people talking but that should have been it.  I totally don't agree with people saying we should be awarded the 3 points, for me you should always earn those points and not been awarded them when a game is nil nil.  Would people have taken a similar stance if this was this was towards the end of the season and a game was abandoned against another team resulting in us failing to gain promotion or sent us down, would people have just said yeah award them the 3 points.  No way should any game be settled like this, it has to be replayed in full.  On a last note, those Vale fans on the pitch still at the end, wtf was that about, idiots, I understand Reading fans but no idea why those Vale fans were on at any point.

Archived