onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wycombe (A) match thread - 23rd Dec

robf

Advert

6 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Alright, I'll try and be balanced with this.

7 points from 9, 15th, the QF of the League Cup, and more youth-teamers than ever playing and contributing. This season is nowhere near the disaster we can often make out. Crosby is doing just about enough to keep his head above water and hasn't been helped by some patchy recruitment over the last 2 years. Today, we didn't play well against a poor team but have nicked a point without two of our best players this season. We're probably likely to finish 14th-18th, playing the same style of football, and never really be threatened by anything remotely exciting. We've moved to self-sufficiency after losing circa £1m a year, and it'll take a fair while to get things moving upwards again. Sign a LWB and (god forbid) competent and fit striker, and maybe we'll finish top half. We can probably give up on the 23/24 season now - and after the turbulent 5-6 years we've had, is that such a disaster?

However.

We're not a particularly good football team. We've won 2 of 14 league games, against poor sides in the bottom 6 of the table by virtue of an offside set-piece goal and a widely deflected effort. We were utter garbage today until Wilson came on. On current trends, we're going to be getting quite nervous come March/April time. Crosby doesn't seem to be improving - we conceded from another deep cross today, and we didn't create much on goal. He has a very rigid style and doesn't want to alter. The recruitment has, once again, completed cacked up the strikers, and we're now reliant on the notoriously unreliable fitness of James Wilson. Blaster might go back in January, and replacing him of similar quality for similar outlay is going to require an incredible effort. We have two teams in the top 8 in the space of 3 days, and an 8 point gap can easily become a far less comfortable 4-5 points by New Year.

Crosby isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and Flitcroft will go when he decides to. We have to make peace with that. I'm still unconvinced that Crosby is much more than an uninspiring stopgap, doing just enough to avoid the sack whilst rarely making the team greater than the sum of its parts. He was here to avoid rocking the ship as we cut costs, and as he was a known quantity at a time when a poorly chosen unknown quantity would have been disastrous. We're not really going anywhere, and the inevitability is that he'll probably be sacked in about a years' time without much progress to us or his career. He'll struggle to get another EFL job, and will probably wind up as assistant again.

I guess it comes down to who we are as a football club, and what the plan is. If the plan is to stay afloat in League 1 with minimal financial outlay, change to possession football, and hope Category 1 academies trust us with excellent players, then job done for this season. There's a good chunk of pretty sensible fans who are accepting of this. There's another chunk, like me, of daft ones who think things could be better. The question is - where do we go from here?

To be very clear, I'd sack him tomorrow and appoint Pete Wild or Michael Duff.

• Like 9

Sorry for this mini-rant being off-topic! I've paid for 4 Vale games on iFollow and each time I've had to listen to somebody prattling on about "will Stoke find something...let's see how Stoke are doing?" I don't care!!! - I paid to listen to the vale game and don't give a toss how Sjoke are doing - Why does Radio Stoke get in on the act?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

We're not really going anywhere, and the inevitability is that he'll probably be sacked in about a years' time without much progress to us or his career. He'll struggle to get another EFL job, and will probably wind up as assistant again.

Great plan from the club that'll do wonders for matchday and ticket sales revenue.

Just now, Doha said:

One is at a non-league sized club with a very definitive ceiling and the other is unemployed.

Yep good points here mate - Im a Crosby in kind of guy still unfortunately, but if we were to get someone like Wild/Duff, how long before he is poached?? 

At least we have got a manager no-one else would want - silver linings and all that 😍😍😍😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ValeForever. said:

I love the Vale players reaction when it goes in, rushing to get the ball back to see if we can nick a winner. Great mentality.

I misread this at first and thought you meant his reaction to the keepers save in following it in to score. Both were Wilson and both are true. He has the strikers instinct that many many many donkeys at VP down the years could only dream of. Same for his header against Mansfield at Wembley, same for Carlisle away that season, same for many of his goals, he's a predator in the box and knows where to be and when. He is a proper striker and his injury record starting with the blown up knee when he was at Derby is massively unfair.

• Like 3