onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sports Science

Smallthorne clampet

A lot of fans like me seem to be baffled by the above , and think its a complete waste of time . However , are we wrong , is this the way forward ? I have an open mind and would welcome a chance to debate this with our backroom staff . Perhaps the supporters club could invite someone from the club to attend a meeting and explain the science to the fans . This at least be good PR from the club.  

• Like 3

Advert

1 hour ago, Smallthorne clampet said:

A lot of fans like me seem to be baffled by the above , and think its a complete waste of time . However , are we wrong , is this the way forward ? I have an open mind and would welcome a chance to debate this with our backroom staff . Perhaps the supporters club could invite someone from the club to attend a meeting and explain the science to the fans . This at least be good PR from the club.  

The club are always keen to attend the supporters club meetings - sounds like a sensible idea.

• Like 2

I’m sure it provides some very good insights but I don’t think we should be slaves to it.

Professional athletes from time to time will have to go the extra mile, go through the pain barrier and fight the lactic acid. There will be situations in their careers when all the subs are used and they will be forced to play through it.

It wouldn’t have surprised me if one of the coaching staff had walked on to the pitch with their laptop at 90 minutes asking the ref to abandon the game and award the tie to Stevenage as a walkover, because none of our players were allowed to play half an hour extra. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, gavcradd said:

Sports Science is great data to have at a manager's fingertips. However, it feels like we're prioritising it as the first, second and third most important bit of information. If the data analysts suggests a player has run his race and needs to be subbed, how often are we actually subbing him? I'd reckon its not far off every single time. That's not on, I want a manager to use his eyes and his nous.

Take last night. I've no doubt the data said that Arblaster and Devine had to come off. But doing that lost is the game. If AC is happy to live by the laptop, he has to accept being sacked when it goes wrong. 

Maybe we have to supply match data to Arblaster`s and Devine`s clubs?

3 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

Cost us potentially 200 grand last night. Good old sport science. To much thinking about the long term all the time.

Crosby cost us the points. Sports science only provides data, still needs a competent manager to to make decisions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rob1983 said:
13 minutes ago, MBE said:
Crosby cost us the points. Sports science only provides data, still needs a competent manager to to make decisions.

What point's it was a cup game pal

He's cost us points and the cup game mate😄

• Like 1