onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wigan Athletic (H) match thread - 16th Dec

robf

19 hours ago, Old School said:

Having been a Vale fan for over 55 years I have pretty much seen it all over the years. I hope that I am now a bit wiser as well as a lot older than I once was and try (not always successfully) not to get too worked up following a bad result and/or performance. I have done more than my fair share of kicking the furniture around when I got home after a bad loss (are there any good losses?). Nowadays I tend to reflect on the many similar experiences I have witnessed over the years, and it is amazing how the more things change the more they stay the same. I would love to be watching the Vale storming up the league(s) playing ticca tacca football whilst realistically accepting that this will never happen. So, I call in the pub for a few enjoyable pints before the game then go and see what sort of performance and result we get that day. The only thing that I do know for certain, is that I will be going up the Vale and supporting the lads for as long as I am physically capable. As this thread is for tomorrows match my prediction is 2 - 0 to the Vale.

Who says I can't dream? 

Dear Carol, Give this man keys to the club.

You can dream good sir

Advert

14 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Trying to convince myself to be excited for this. Festive season, big game Tuesday, decent away following - all the 'allmaaarks of an absolute classic.

We played really well for 63 minutes on Tuesday - if Blaster and Devine are out then it's a massive blow.

Would go for

Ripley

Lowe Smith Debrah

Sang Ojo Walters Grant

Chislett 

Garrity Uche

If fit that is a decent side at this level.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Old School said:

Having been a Vale fan for over 55 years I have pretty much seen it all over the years. I hope that I am now a bit wiser as well as a lot older than I once was and try (not always successfully) not to get too worked up following a bad result and/or performance. I have done more than my fair share of kicking the furniture around when I got home after a bad loss (are there any good losses?). Nowadays I tend to reflect on the many similar experiences I have witnessed over the years, and it is amazing how the more things change the more they stay the same. I would love to be watching the Vale storming up the league(s) playing ticca tacca football whilst realistically accepting that this will never happen. So, I call in the pub for a few enjoyable pints before the game then go and see what sort of performance and result we get that day. The only thing that I do know for certain, is that I will be going up the Vale and supporting the lads for as long as I am physically capable. As this thread is for tomorrows match my prediction is 2 - 0 to the Vale.

Who says I can't dream? 

What a wonderful post.  You've summed up exactly where I am with the Vale.  My first game was in '64, as an 11 year old.  I think I've probably seen it all by now, several times over in fact. I'm happy when we do well, but no longer suicidal when we have a disaster (like Tuesday night). 

On a positive note, we've been playing Sat/Tues for many weeks now.  After Christmas we may have some weeks where players can rest and prepare properly for games.  Fingers crossed, anyway. 🤞

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Trying to convince myself to be excited for this. Festive season, big game Tuesday, decent away following - all the 'allmaaarks of an absolute classic.

We played really well for 63 minutes on Tuesday - if Blaster and Devine are out then it's a massive blow.

Would go for

Ripley

Lowe Smith Debrah

Sang Ojo Walters Grant

Chislett 

Garrity Uche

Would agree with this if Olly & Alfie out but desperately hoping they are fit to play.

7 minutes ago, RPH-KV said:

Would agree with this if Olly & Alfie out but desperately hoping they are fit to play.

The issue is having two priorities. It's hard to have a fit and up for it squad for both. This has been PVs Tuesday night problem for as long as I can remember. 

But Olly and Alfie have come to PV to learn and progress. Both will play higher and Tuesday's experience is important for them. So make sure they are 100% fit and ready to go on Tuesday. Omit today to protect them. 

7 minutes ago, Warren said:

The issue is having two priorities. It's hard to have a fit and up for it squad for both. This has been PVs Tuesday night problem for as long as I can remember. 

But Olly and Alfie have come to PV to learn and progress. Both will play higher and Tuesday's experience is important for them. So make sure they are 100% fit and ready to go on Tuesday. Omit today to protect them. 

Don’t agree with this and in my opinion sums up our problems.  The manager is always focusing on the future fixtures and not getting the current game won.   The most important game is today and we can look at Tuesday after today.

This mentality cost us the game on Tuesday.

Edited by RPH-KV
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Warren said:

Wigan don't  have a game Tuesday, but have a 3rd round game on TV at home to ManU to anticipate. Baring a big upset we will be concentrating on the League by then.

• Like 1

It's no coincidence Ollie & Alfie both got injured at the same time & on their return were both subbed on exactly 63 mins! with other injuries, there's more to this whether it's their parent clubs not wanting them to play too much which i can't believe myself or it's AC & his stupid sports science crap! Either way we need them playing as much as possible 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vtid said:

It's no coincidence Ollie & Alfie both got injured at the same time & on their return were both subbed on exactly 63 mins! with other injuries, there's more to this whether it's their parent clubs not wanting them to play too much which i can't believe myself or it's AC & his stupid sports science crap! Either way we need them playing as much as possible 

Not likely that all the contractual details will be revealed, I assume duty of care is covered.

6 minutes ago, Vtid said:

maybe but if they're being loaned out it's for a reason. To be given game time. Leans toward Crosby & his daft ways for me 

Never thought of that, it’s a big coincidence that both olly and alfie both returned from injury at the same time then both get injured 63 minutes into the same match.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Never thought of that, it’s a big coincidence that both olly and alfie both returned from injury at the same time then both get injured 63 minutes into the same match.

true it's nonsense mate, also after both picking up injuries in the first place at the same time 

Edited by Vtid

6 minutes ago, Conrad said:

I suppose that is the price we pay, we have their part-time benefit. They have got us points we may not have obtained. A place in the QFs but not in the 3rd round.