onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

11 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Of cause he can not answer that question which is why he's thrown it back into both mine & your's court by saying watch the matches.

He can not name a single team

You pair of Muppets realize that, to do that kind of research I would have to watch 100 or so minutes of EVERY game this season, just to make sure i didn't miss an example? Originally, my answer was the Prem and Champio0nship teams - I've certainly seen Liverpool do it, and, I think, City have, too. But League 1???...truthful answer is I don't know but think so - because not every Lge 1 game is shown on TV, and, when they are, it's often just highlights, so they probably miss the kickoff routines? BUT - this has come from somewhere...we have seen someone else do it, i don't think we're the leaders in this? And the logic for it would be passing back to the GK leaves him the whole pitch to see where a good pass could go, and leaves at least one defender clear to get forward - so I'd argue...with a lot of confidence...that it isn't even a defensive move? Over to you, Waldorf and Statler!

• Haha 2

Advert

1 hour ago, Vale1995 said:

Flickers deserves a huge amount of credit for what hes done to make us an attractive option for some of the best young talent in the country. Long may it continue.

It's significant that the ground work for this and for the recruitment was done whilst a part time DOF. This will have saved us a few quid whilst getting us out of league 2, bringing through talent from the academy, putting in place a better brand of football, working with Carol to improve the facilities, promoting the club etc. 

If this makes me a happy clapper, DF lover I'll wear it. There are limited better options than DF at the price we are likely paying and there are certainly many worse. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Walka003 said:

...same with Donnelly, Balmer... The list goes on.

10 games into his vale career is the only time you can really see where any of them are at.

The list doesn't go on much further - we haven't had that many Prem youngsters join us, over the years. But - having seen the quality of Ollie and Alfie, we should be hopeful that Dan Gore and Rhys Williams - of similar ages and experience - could be as successful as those two? It would be interesting if everyone applied the "10 games into his Vale career!" principle, for every signing, instead of dismissing them out of hand?

• Like 1

4 points above the drop zone as things stands, yes we have a number of games in hand over the bottom sides but we have to be really careful and for me we need more players than just the loan signings we have made.  Williams, Weir and Gore look good but all very young players and for me I feel we need a couple of experienced heads as well.  Reading and in particular Cheltenham look like they are picking up form, Cheltenham tonight despite getting beat at Bolton much the better team and I still expect them to get out of it, big result for Exeter tonight winning at Bristol Rovers,

• Like 3

7 hours ago, andy jones said:

1: Strangely Tony I regularly watch football. In addition to Vale (ST holder) Leek Town (ST holder), Kidsgrove Athletic, Hanley Town and even Abbey Hulton United I do...

2: ...Only at the Vale do I see the player taking the kick off passing it directly back to the goal keeper.

3: I have no desire to see other aspects of modern football such as deliberate outright cheating by players to 'win' penalties, get opponents sent off by simulating / exaggerating injury. Etc etc

4: The fact that a player can commit over 200 betting offences and managing to be back playing the game within 8 months instead of being banned 'sine die' from professional football within the jurisdiction of the FA is an indictment of how low the professional game has sunk.

5: Modern day football is, in many cases, corrupt and a total embarrassment in educating children. It is the antithesis of the definition of what sport used to stand for.

6: So my friend I do watch football, but at a level where the match is a sporting occasion to entertain and excite by scoring more goals than the opposition. Back passing to the keeper from the kick off followed by passing across the back line, followed by passing back to the keeper again, does nor meet any of the above criteria of a football match. IMHO.

7: Tell me, Tony, do you actually watch football or just a sad parody of ... the once beautiful game?

1:  Even in those lower League matches, you will see this, at some time. What filters down keeps on filtering down. The common time-wasting tactic of a GK throwing himself to the ground to "protect" the ball from the opposition has certainly reached schoolboy level - I've seen this for myself. 

2: I have no reason to suggest other teams do it, other than they do. No, I couldn't name the Lge 1 teams without spending a very long time sifting through TV recordings - which I'm not prepared to do just to win an argument on here!

3: If you watch Vale matches, I'm afraid you see examples of these, all the time...game after game...and not only by the opposition - although, we seem to be fairer than most, and some teams have appalling reputations for these acts!

4: A different subject, really - I thought the punishment was harsh enough - too harsh when you consider it was roughly the same length as Cantona kung-fu kicking a fan. Yes, I know the fan deserved a good kicking...but it wasn't for a footballer to leave the pitch and do it! The other thing about the gambling ban - I didn't read a lot into it, at the time, but, if he didn't bet on his own Club, then I think that reduces the severity of jis actions?

5:  I(f, by corruption, you mean the giving of the World Cup to Qatar, and the "process" that that went through - you're right, it is very corrupt - just not sure children would realize that? If you mean players' actions - I remember "Diving" Franny Lee; Ian Ure / Nobby Stiles / Billy Bremner / "bite yer legs" Norman Hunter, to name just a few, as being hatchetmen, which was a different kind iof cheating! And one which was much more visible to children. I remember the ;likes of Owen Oyston, and other chairmen / owners being corrupt in their dealings - but, again, not likely to corrupt children. So it's not only the "modern game" which is corrupt - but I'm guessing you're meaning since the age of Sky. as they're the popular goats to scape? Even though there are other parties now equally culpable of changing foorball?

6: There is a phrase which has been long in existence - I certainly remember it being talked about in the 70's - "build from the back"!  Like a chess game, you open teams up by tempting them to break defensive ranks. This is no different!

7: I get to the Vale when health and finances allow. When I was working in Finland, before New Year, I spent, I think, almost £80 on iFollow - which I consider to be a rip-off as it keeps "freezing"...although this could have been the internet we had over there? When I was in my late-teens, and through my 20's, if I couldn't get a lift I would walk from Leek to Vale Park, and back home after. Asa single parent, Myself and 2 kids had STs for a few years. My stepgrandson and stepgrandaughter both represent their schools, and, I hope, will play at a higher level? Yes I watch "the beautiful game" - still - Prem / EFL / FAC / LC and Joe Bloggs Trophy - and it's still as exciting as it's ever been...although I have been a Vale fan through the turgid times, too! 

I hope this answers your questions, adequately? But - if it doesn't that's tough poop, as I've wasted too much time pandering to you and Brian Johnson's never-ending arguments!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

The gap being 4 points with top of the table on Saturday is not very comfortable.

All the teams up to 14th are pretty much on the same points, and we have 3 games in hand on 4 of the teams. If we were to lose 3 in a row, then I’d start to get twitchy, but not now. 

Edited by Boslem's Brazil
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Warren said:

...It's easy to go bet if a player wishes. Retire from football. Simples. 

The 'investment' by betting companies in advertising related to football does not threaten the integrity of play in games. There is a discussion to be had about overall desirability in the sport. But that doesn't go to integrity of play which is fundamental. 

Toney was banned!

You should know gambling isn't something as simple as wanting a bit of a flutter, a little entertainment? The issues for a person to start gambling can be very complex, and have nothing to do with winning money, even? It can be a very destructive lifestyle, and cases need to be dealt with with some sympathy / empathy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

The glitch kept putting me on as Loggerheads Sage...I was so tempted! hahaha!!!

Lol, looks like everyone wants to be me.

You would probably have put what I think and got me banned 😆   mind you, if I ever do lose it, I will just tell rob, I was framed, it was all lance Tony, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

This gives a good idea about what kind of a midfielder Gore is. It is just clips of him during one game. Apologies if already posted.

Seems a decent passer? I like he does his defensive duties, too - even as far back as his own penalty box. And not afraid of a tackle! Looking forward to seeing him play!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Warren said:

Very promising. Another thing that struck me watching this clip is how important the improvement to the PV pitch has been. A player like Gore and Blaster etc. want to come, play and develop on a pitch that is credible if not quite equal to a Premier League pitch. 

Pitch looks good, and seems to play well! Not heard any complaints about it?