onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Advert

33 minutes ago, Osh said:

Personally, I think we could be pushing for this within 2 years,  "IF"* we could stop conceding goals and carry on scoring goals at a good rate we'd be able to compete at least for the play-offs

*My old Sales Manager used to say that "IF" is a very small word with a very big meaning. 😎

I like your optimism 

5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Was thinking more recently with the likes of miller and angus (I’m for this signing by the way) exactly where I think we should be looking for players 

There are quality footballers out there in non league for sure   if you've got a good scouting network in place you're sorted.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

There are quality footballers out there in non league for sure   if you've got a good scouting network in place you're sorted.

It's something that has served Posh well over the years. It's not their exclusive route (and nor should it be ours) but they've had numerous signings from there and their current in-demand player (Ronnie Edwards) rumoured to be worth £10m was snapped up from Barnet. 

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Was thinking more recently with the likes of miller and angus (I’m for this signing by the way) exactly where I think we should be looking for players 

Exactly both of those did 'ok' for us in the sense they weren't utter rubbish but neither every looked good enough to be someone we'd sell for a profit. Depends as a club what we see as a success for such signings?  Peterborough probably realised that with Miller hence why they sold him to us(had ability but bad attitude and probably too old to develop to any better than League Two).  Angus hasn't really played much above National League level although done a decent job for teams at that level. 

I agree most are definately worth a gamble even at 25(like this lad at Warrington, if the rumour is true?) if at the very least they can help the team and not necessarily earn us a profit in the long run it's something.

20 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I remember  Gareth Griffith's in the 90s he  came from Rhyl, was a decent player . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best Vale signings were not part time footballers stepping up to the football league but unwanted, talented guys from the big clubs. Reading through Rudgie’s book, it is remarkable how many of our greats like Guppy, Aspo, Robbie Earle, Glover, Mills, Ainsworth, Foyle etc etc all shared a history of having been on the books of big clubs before coming to us. 

The number of non league legends is actually very very small. 

Even today, our best signings like Wilson, Chislett (Southampton), Garrity (Blackpool) had a history of being coveted for their talent by bigger clubs. 

Our most likely route of success is to look to the big clubs. Look at the talent in those u23 paint trophy games and look for rough diamonds there to improve. 

As the standard of Premier and Championship has moved far away from league 1, so has non league from the league 1 and 2. Don’t be fooled by a few strong clubs in the national league, the standard is worse than ever down there. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nippy Naylor said:

I like your optimism 

I don't think its just blind optimism.

We're, currently, a mid-table team and, and play some good football; we've got a good keeper, good in midfield and have some some good players but need to improve in defense and consolidate in attack.  IF we can get a couple of good recruitment windows in Jan and at the end of the year, then gel the team in 24/25 season, i think we could push for promotion the following season.  I dont see anyone else to fear in our league.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Interesting to note in regards to players playing for 2 teams in the same season (Loft comes to mind)

They can actually play for teams in non-league until the end of the season.

someone in non league would have to match is reported 3k a week salary though.

18 hours ago, Nippy Naylor said:

End of the season  I'd like to see James Wilson get a long term contract cos since he's come back in the team the guy has been absolute pure class , in my opinion. 

He's always been class. It's his fitness issues that are the problem.

• Like 3

Gambling with non league players has been done far too much at Vale and has never worked. It has never been done properly and it seems we poorly scout for league standard players so god help our efforts to find non league gems. 

There are enough players at Vale already who should be playing non league, we don’t need to invite more. 

What Peterborough do is that they have a small number of top class pros on very good wages who encourage and raise the standard of their side. They also have a massive catchment area with Cambridge United miles away and the likes of Norwich and Ipswich equally so. 

12 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

The best Vale signings were not part time footballers stepping up to the football league but unwanted, talented guys from the big clubs. Reading through Rudgie’s book, it is remarkable how many of our greats like Guppy, Aspo, Robbie Earle, Glover, Mills, Ainsworth, Foyle etc etc all shared a history of having been on the books of big clubs before coming to us. 

The number of non league legends is actually very very small. 

I think there's no hard and fast rule over "club legends" - we have a sprinkling of non-league signings (Andy Jones, Ian Taylor, Stuart Talbot), we also have homegrown heroes (Roy Sproson or Andy Porter), we have signings who started off at bigger clubs (Guppy or Foyle) and we have signings from rival clubs (Tony Naylor for instance). I don't think there's any hard or fast rule - it's much more about the player and the quality of your scouting. I don't think you should exclusively concentrate on non-league signings but neither should you rule it out. 

After all, our current top scorer didn't learn his trade at a big club. He learnt it in the NW non-league scene. 

• Like 6