onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

12 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Problem is we are over indexed in central midfield, if Walters or McDermott were recognised left sided players I’m sure they would be featuring more in the first team. The signing we are looking from America must be very special as I cannot see a reason to sign another central midfielder when we are very much lacking in other areas on the field.

If he was so special we’d offer him a longer contract.  However he is obviously good enough to warrant a longer look.  There’s a chance we could lose Arblaster and/or Devine in January which would dent the numbers a bit if it happened.

• Like 2

Advert

So it looks like Lowe will be missing for some games. What chance we bring in a couple more non contract players next week? Now desperately short on bodies; with games stacking up. Bringing in a couple would help, even on 2 month contracts. We must be considering bringing McDermott back. 

17 hours ago, JRC said:

So it looks like Lowe will be missing for some games. What chance we bring in a couple more non contract players next week? Now desperately short on bodies; with games stacking up. Bringing in a couple would help, even on 2 month contracts. We must be considering bringing McDermott back. 

Not sure what bringing back McDermott offers?

Not getting any minutes at all 2 divisions down and we are flush with midfielders.

If he was a centre half I'd agree. 

On 03/11/2023 at 19:20, JRC said:

He's a completely different type of midfield player to Walters so I'm not really sure either is behind or ahead of the other. Many things make a successful footballer. None of the three is perfect; or anywhere close to being worth a million. When compared to the other 2 McDermott posses a better first touch, relatively 2 footed (Plant has shown some progress with his left) and his preferred foot is his left; which is a significant advantage in terms of making it. Left footed players are over represented in the professional game, compared to the general population.  Plant has obviously made the most progress, although personally I currently don't see him as a Premiership player in waiting.  I could see his doing OK in The Championship in a couple of years. There's just a little bit of quality and composure on the ball which both Arblaster and Devine have which mark them out as elite; rather than merely good players. I don't see a lot, or any others, McDermott is currently behind, apart from Plant. That's not to say McDermott will make the grade, most promising 18 year old players don't, sadly.

I get what you are saying but you might be surprised on what one of the players could go for but time will tell on that one

18 hours ago, JRC said:

I think the issue with non contract players now will be their fitness

I do think the same with keepers that if you suffer so many injuries at our level then a team should be allowed emergency loans

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I think the issue with non contract players now will be their fitness

I do think the same with keepers that if you suffer so many injuries at our level then a team should be allowed emergency loans

Some non contract players can pretty much come in and play. Some take an age. Will Atkinson came in and started a game 4 days later I believe. Someone like Uche takes an age, I suspect in part because he's the type of guy who can look at a Mars Bar and put on a kilo.

My view on the loan system is clubs make a choice over squad sizes under the rules. We have gone for a bit more quality and an lower number of players. Other clubs have got larger squads. We knew the risks when we did that. It benefits us when everyone is fit .... clearly doesn't when we have injuries. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MBE said:

I’d rather have Jones  than nobody. We are going to struggle the next few games with injuries and suspension.

I'm a big Dan Jones fan; I think he's one of our L2 players that has successfully made the step-up to L1. Just my 2' worth and I know there others who hate him.  Hey ho.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Osh said:

I'm a big Dan Jones fan; I think he's one of our L2 players that has successfully made the step-up to L1. Just my 2' worth and I know there others who hate him.  Hey ho.

I'm 50/50 on him to be honest, a decent option in the squad for something a bit different at the back. Unconvinced he can consistently play at L1 level but to be fair to him injuries have seriously hampered him .It  would help if he can keep himself fit, doesn't seem to have had much luck with injuries since he joined us.

1 hour ago, MBE said:

I'm 50/50 on him to be honest, a decent option in the squad for something a bit different at the back. Unconvinced he can consistently play at L1 level but to be fair to him injuries have seriously hampered him .It  would help if he can keep himself fit, doesn't seem to have had much luck with injuries since he joined us.

Just before he got injured last season he had a run of 4 or 5 games in the middle of a 3 when he was very good. He had a nightmare at Barnsley but was pretty solid after. Despite being left footed his better performances seem to be when played more centrally.  

• Like 6