onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Fans Complaining to the Club

Family Stand Terrier

11 hours ago, Mellor! said:

Yep. We've been talking about this since the Burton game. While the facilities are crap, everyone at the back of the Railway Stand where we came from were all there to enjoy the atmosphere. Even if we could only hear ourselves some games at least we were trying to create and atmosphere. I'm not enjoying the Hamil. The view is crap and the atmosphere is crap (singing wise and the mix of fans just isn't right imo, as we can see with all the arguments). The only thing keeping me there is my mates aren't moving (yet) and I like not getting piss wet through at half time if I want a drink.

You’re welcome back. I’ll save you a standing position

Advert

16 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Or those that stand move?

It's quite well known that a club's "end" behind a goal is where fans go to create an atmosphere. One of the main reasons for the move was to improve the atmosphere. If anyone should move, it should be those that want to sit in silence, given the volume of available seats in the Lorne St, Railway, or the side blocks of the Hamil. Ideal world we'd have the whole block behind the goal for standing / singing section. 

I think the only compromise in the short term though, due to ST sales, is to open up the section closest to the Railway and designate it a singing section. Will effect the least number of people.

Long term I really think we need safe standing along the whole of the back 8 or 10 rows of the Hamil. Like Shrewsbury have and Portsmouth have just unveiled too. 

4 minutes ago, ollyandpatch said:

Why the club could not call it a standing section it was clear that those 2 areas were for vocal support.

Screenshot_20230923-090521_Chrome.jpg

The club can't legally encourage standing. That's the main motivation for the recent statement. It's just words in response to the complaints. But as is the case at Wembley and other grounds that say singing section, they don't mean it literally, they're saying as clear as they're legally allowed to, people are going to stand here. If you don't want to stand, don't get a ticket there. 

8 hours ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

So much naivety in this post. Either that or just being contrary. Fully aware it's all seated, however, despite you being absolutely correct that fans can indeed sit and sing, you and I both know that the atmosphere in the vast majority of football grounds these days, comes from areas where fans predominantly stand. 

In this sense Vale are unlike most other clubs in this country. A lot of our fans simply don't want to be a part of an atmosphere. They don't want to stand, sing, bounce and basically vocally support the team. We are often ridiculed for most of our away support sitting down. We're one of very few teams that do it these days bar a few rows at the back. None of the big clubs sit at away matches, and none of the big clubs main atmosphere generating "ends" sit at home matches either. 

Without safe standing at Vale, I don't think we'll ever create the atmosphere a lot want to see, which is a shame, because we had the chance with the Hamil switch, but too many in there now just don't want to be a part of that, and don't want anyone around them to be either.

Maybe it’s you being naive expecting the end swap to go without a hitch, more so given the way it’s been pushed through.  Maybe it’s naive of you to think someone won’t complain if their view is constantly obscured.

We are often ridiculed for our away support?   Do you ever go to away games?  Our away support isn’t often ridiculed for being quiet, because we’re not, I know because I go to most.  Some games the majority stand anyway, depending on numbers and the fixture itself.

Do you honestly think fans don’t want a good atmosphere at games?   Whether they sit or stand I think you’re wrong.

For the record I couldn’t give a toss if we sit or stand, I really don’t care, but if I stand up and someone behind me asks me to sit then I’ve got enough respect for others to comply.  It won’t stop me from singing or shouting.

5 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Maybe it’s you being naive expecting the end swap to go without a hitch, more so given the way it’s been pushed through.  Maybe it’s naive of you to think someone won’t complain if their view is constantly obscured.

We are often ridiculed for our away support?   Do you ever go to away games?  Our away support isn’t often ridiculed for being quiet, because we’re not, I know because I go to most.  Some games the majority stand anyway, depending on numbers and the fixture itself.

Do you honestly think fans don’t want a good atmosphere at games?   Whether they sit or stand I think you’re wrong.

For the record I couldn’t give a toss if we sit or stand, I really don’t care, but if I stand up and someone behind me asks me to sit then I’ve got enough respect for others to comply.  It won’t stop me from singing or shouting.

The naivety, or denial is from those that don't accept that those that create an atmosphere predominantly stand up. Am I wrong to say that?

Yes I go to away games. On more than one occasion last season home fans were singing "how <ovf censored> must you be, you sit down away". Care, don't care, it happens. It's also all over social media when photos of our away support are posted. Again, care, don't care, I'm just pointing out it happens.

I sat near the front of the Hamil on Tuesday. Celebrated Garrity's equaliser, stood up to sing best on earth and got shouted at to sit down by someone who never sung a note all game. I sat down, but it really pissed me off at the time. It was seconds after the goal. Some people go out of their way to antagonise and provoke a response. I didn't react.

Not going around in circles again, I've laid out my opinion clearly so won't respond in that sense anymore. Think there are some potential solutions to explore so everyone is happy.

53 minutes ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

It's quite well known that a club's "end" behind a goal is where fans go to create an atmosphere. One of the main reasons for the move was to improve the atmosphere. If anyone should move, it should be those that want to sit in silence, given the volume of available seats in the Lorne St, Railway, or the side blocks of the Hamil. Ideal world we'd have the whole block behind the goal for standing / singing section. 

I think the only compromise in the short term though, due to ST sales, is to open up the section closest to the Railway and designate it a singing section. Will effect the least number of people.

Long term I really think we need safe standing along the whole of the back 8 or 10 rows of the Hamil. Like Shrewsbury have and Portsmouth have just unveiled too. 

Agree entirely about SAFE standing. Standing in seating areas is actually unsafe, especially when those standing are not in full control of their faculties. Make the back half a dozen rows in the Hamil rail seating and tell those in front of that not to stand during the game. Also, ask people attending away games not to arrive 2 minutes before kick off and stand in the aisles. At Blackpool I was sitting halfway back in the stand and had issues with folk standing in the aisles next to me. At my age and with my knees I simply can’t stand up for 90 minutes. At Derby last year I was in the second row from the front and still had lads standing in front of me. Ruined the game for me. 

1 minute ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

The naivety, or denial is from those that don't accept that those that create an atmosphere predominantly stand up. Am I wrong to say that?

Yes I go to away games. On more than one occasion last season home fans were singing "how <ovf censored> must you be, you sit down away". Care, don't care, it happens. It's also all over social media when photos of our away support are posted. Again, care, don't care, I'm just pointing out it happens.

I sat near the front of the Hamil on Tuesday. Celebrated Garrity's equaliser, stood up to sing best on earth and got shouted at to sit down by someone who never sung a note all game. I sat down, but it really pissed me off at the time. It was seconds after the goal. Some people go out of their way to antagonise and provoke a response. I didn't react.

Not going around in circles again, I've laid out my opinion clearly so won't respond in that sense anymore. Think there are some potential solutions to explore so everyone is happy.

Given all you’ve said about atmosphere, standing up and singing why did you sit at the front of the Hamil?  I don’t think you thought that one through.

Here’s what the club say -

“Persistent standing at the rear and lower parts of all blocks of the Hamil Road Stand 

We have opened the Railway Paddock and Railway Stand and will monitor this for future fixtures.

We would also like to remind supporters that Vale Park is an all-seater stadium and to be respectful to other supporters.”

They’re not saying don’t stand, just “to be respectful”, which should be possible…..you’d think.

12 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Maybe the club instead of having two upper halves of ‘singing sections’ could switch it so the furthest right block is the singing section. Then there’s no confusion as to where the section begins and ends. 

They would have to take the netting off it first as currently only the top inner block is for singing (standing). Whoops ignore that ! 😂

Archived