onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

FA Cup changes

Doha

This is yet another example of the FA degrading the world's oldest and most famous competition. All in order to suck up to the Premier league which is now the tail which wags the FA dog.
It started with having semi finals at Wembley, To increase revenue for the Wembley stadium company. then messing about with Cup final times and date to suit potential revenue and sod the fans who have to travel back from the game after.
Then they allowed clubs to put their reserves or youth teams out so giant killing loses all credibility.
They could give the competition more credibility by giving the fourth champions league spot to the winners. Instead we have a situation where finishing fourth in the league, is a greater result than actually winning the world's oldest and greatest club competition.
Sorry for ranting on, but all this really pi**es me off.

Advert

You've got to wonder whether any of the Prem teams who said they'd join the European Super League genuinely had any intention of moving over. Pure leverage for pushing this type of change to the schedule. It's time the "big" clubs got put in their place and the current custodians of the FA were reminded of their duties.

2 hours ago, bobbymanc said:

I'd suggest a nationwide boycott from supporters if they bring this in, but the continued attendance of many at EFL Trophy games (including frankly sickening levels of attendance at recent finals) shows that on the whole we're a spineless lot. Suppose we get what we deserve by voting for U21 teams in that competition. They'll continue to steamroll us until we're in the National league, with Bournemouth reserves playing in league 1. These changes are simply a continuation of giving in to the Premier League for a couple of extra grand a year.

The continued attendance of many at EFL Trophy games shows that the introduction of Prem U23/U21 teams hasn't made a jot of difference to the competition as a whole. Yes we play more games than we used to, and the money is better than it used to be - but how many of the Prem teams have reached a Final...a Semi-Final, even? Some of us go to see these games to see if we can spot the first appearance of a new superstar in the making...or a player we ought to be signing wherever possible? Or, just because it's cheap to get in? But - I do understand how divisive this is.

There's a world of difference between what has happened to the EFL Trophy and what is happening to the FA Cup, and I'm with you that we ought to be looking at a nationwide boycott of FA Cup games AND...what will truly worry the Prem...cancellation of sports TV packages if this goes ahead. Either cancellation, or refusal to take new packages.

There's no point in individuals sending off an email or letter - it would make more sense and impact if a template was set up so that thousands of fans could add their names to it - like the protest organisations do? 

Thoughts?  

59 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

The continued attendance of many at EFL Trophy games shows that the introduction of Prem U23/U21 teams hasn't made a jot of difference to the competition as a whole. Yes we play more games than we used to, and the money is better than it used to be - but how many of the Prem teams have reached a Final...a Semi-Final, even? Some of us go to see these games to see if we can spot the first appearance of a new superstar in the making...or a player we ought to be signing wherever possible? Or, just because it's cheap to get in? But - I do understand how divisive this is.

There's a world of difference between what has happened to the EFL Trophy and what is happening to the FA Cup, and I'm with you that we ought to be looking at a nationwide boycott of FA Cup games AND...what will truly worry the Prem...cancellation of sports TV packages if this goes ahead. Either cancellation, or refusal to take new packages.

There's no point in individuals sending off an email or letter - it would make more sense and impact if a template was set up so that thousands of fans could add their names to it - like the protest organisations do? 

Thoughts?  

The FA doesn't want and doesn’t facilitate contact from the public. Unless I'm missing something.

14 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Thoughts?  

We took over 1,000 to Walsall for the Sam Johnson epic penalty shootout win. We barely get that for a home game now. Attendances are a 1/3rd of what they were pre-U21s. Other than the final, attendances are way down. I used to enjoy a JPT game. I've not been to a single game since the U21s have been introduced. Many many others across the 48 clubs who should be eligible for this competition each year will have taken the same stand. 

19 hours ago, Warren said:

The FA doesn't want and doesn’t facilitate contact from the public. Unless I'm missing something.

There does seem to be a long history of them being isolated from public opinion - as often happens with unelected organisations. But thousands of signatures on letters or emails, and the subsequent bad press that - I'm certain - might be stirred up could just unnerve Sky, BT, Prime, etc who are averse to a huge loss of business over an issue like this?  

7 hours ago, bobbymanc said:

We took over 1,000 to Walsall for the Sam Johnson epic penalty shootout win. We barely get that for a home game now. Attendances are a 1/3rd of what they were pre-U21s. Other than the final, attendances are way down. I used to enjoy a JPT game. I've not been to a single game since the U21s have been introduced. Many many others across the 48 clubs who should be eligible for this competition each year will have taken the same stand. 

You can't boycott a competition...then quote falling attendances? I suspect more people attend than boycott? I just question the rectitude of the boycott - it's a bit of an elitist attitude?

4 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

You can't boycott a competition...then quote falling attendances? I suspect more people attend than boycott? I just question the rectitude of the boycott - it's a bit of an elitist attitude?

Of course it is, he calls those that attend scabs. Nasty piece of work

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

What are you on about? I'm suggesting that on the whole, fans have voted with their feet as crowds are way down in the EFL Trophy since the introduction of the B teams. Whether it's people formally boycotting or general apathy as a result of many other factors (which mostly stem from accommodating rival teams youth development) is irrelevant. Anything that contributes to less bums on seats is BAD.

What are you on about? I'm suggesting that on the whole, fans have voted with their feet as crowds are way down in the EFL Trophy since the introduction of the B teams. Whether it's people formally boycotting or general apathy as a result of many other factors (which mostly stem from accommodating rival teams youth development) is irrelevant. Anything that contributes to less bums on seats is BAD.
All cup attendances are down, not enough days in the week to fit all the European and Premier league games in, so the English cups are reduced in relevance.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

The problem with boycotting matches it just gives more argument to those wishing to downgrade the competition. So there is no easy answer.
The only thing I can see having an effect is for supporters to try and pressure their clubs to put pressure on the FA.
It would be nice to see the league 1 and 2 clubs to tell the Premier league clubs to stick their extra money and kick the U23 teams out of the EFL trophy.
I wonder what consultation has gone on between the FA and the lower league clubs with regards to these changes. Precious little I imagine.
I think it is time the lower league clubs got rid of any financial dependency from the Premier league. So we can get back some control over our youngsters and not have our one chance of a Wembley appearance ruined.
We lost a golden opportunity with the Salary cap. Which would have made most clubs financially stable and stopped clubs inflating wages to stupid levels.
If the clubs themselves don't stand up to the FA then I am afraid true football fans who actually attend matches will continue to be treated as an irrelevance.
Sorry about another long rant but these changes really do pee me off.

18 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:

If the clubs themselves don't stand up to the FA then I am afraid true football fans who actually attend matches will continue to be treated as an irrelevance.

Fans can press their clubs, but it falls on the Chairs of the L1 and L2 clubs to decide based on economics  their relationship with the Premier League, who are more powerful than the FA in my mind. Fans will decide how and which  football they watch, TV/Online seems to be wagging the dog at present.

24 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:

The problem with boycotting matches it just gives more argument to those wishing to downgrade the competition. So there is no easy answer.
The only thing I can see having an effect is for supporters to try and pressure their clubs to put pressure on the FA.
It would be nice to see the league 1 and 2 clubs to tell the Premier league clubs to stick their extra money and kick the U23 teams out of the EFL trophy.
I wonder what consultation has gone on between the FA and the lower league clubs with regards to these changes. Precious little I imagine.
I think it is time the lower league clubs got rid of any financial dependency from the Premier league. So we can get back some control over our youngsters and not have our one chance of a Wembley appearance ruined.
We lost a golden opportunity with the Salary cap. Which would have made most clubs financially stable and stopped clubs inflating wages to stupid levels.

It's before my time, but the FA banned women's football in 1921 at a point when it was achieving success and because it was becoming a success. I guess we have moved past that today, but it still has the feel of an arrogant organisation that doesn't welcome outside viewpoints. 

It's before my time, but the FA banned women's football in 1921 at a point when it was achieving success and because it was becoming a success. I guess we have moved past that today, but it still has the feel of an arrogant organisation that doesn't welcome outside viewpoints. 
I am afraid you are right. The FA is arrogant and cares nothing for the fans.

Archived