onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carol Interview

MBE

1 hour ago, worldsendvalefan said:

However if some of the senior players did go and see the Chairman of a football club, that is something that is pretty unusual. So something quite serious must have being going on.

We’ve heard ex players like Yatesy and Popey say they’d go and speak to the chairman about stuff that needs sorting for them or stuff they were concerned about. So if they we concerned about the manger then it’s not an unusual thing for them to see the chairman. However I think that senior players raising concerns about someone’s behaviour or health  is vastly different than the statement from flitcroft about them having discussions with players about getting rid of the manager. 

Advert

We’ve heard ex players like Yatesy and Popey say they’d go and speak to the chairman about stuff that needs sorting for them or stuff they were concerned about. So if they we concerned about the manger then it’s not an unusual thing for them to see the chairman. However I think that senior players raising concerns about someone’s behaviour or health  is vastly different than the statement from flitcroft about them having discussions with players about getting rid of the manager. 
We don't know what the discussions were about. Most likely, it was DC health concerns.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Did Flitcroft actually say that players were having discussions with him/Carol about getting rid of Clarke. I thought he just said that discussions had taken place, but did not say what the discussions involved.

Clarke was fulfilling his contract in law. Results may be disappointing on the pitch. But unless there was some misconduct that warranted sacking, he will either still be employed or if dismissed he'll be entitled to compensation. It would not surprise me if redeployment within the club occurs in due course. There is plenty of football to be organised and run in the background. 

If Clarke was unwell and removed for reasons of stress or depression etc. then he could become manager again when recovered.

I hope things go well for him no matter what the circumstances. He delivered success in a period where he suffered severe tragic family circumstances. In a way that's exceptional. 

On 20/04/2023 at 22:54, LancyTony said:

Carol is the owner...ultimately the buck - for any major decision - stops with her!

Yes ,without doubt thats were the buck stops on any final decission.A hard one to call.But I would have thought that it was discussed at length with other people at the club.Maybe outside advice was taken as was hinted at in a recent interview.All the pros & cons taken into consideration.

5 hours ago, Warren said:

Clarke was fulfilling his contract in law. Results may be disappointing on the pitch. But unless there was some misconduct that warranted sacking, he will either still be employed or if dismissed he'll be entitled to compensation. It would not surprise me if redeployment within the club occurs in due course. There is plenty of football to be organised and run in the background. 

If Clarke was unwell and removed for reasons of stress or depression etc. then he could become manager again when recovered.

I hope things go well for him no matter what the circumstances. He delivered success in a period where he suffered severe tragic family circumstances. In a way that's exceptional. 

Has DC left due to exceptional stress and family trauma. I wonder if clubs can take out insurance for cases like this in which case our compensation payment might not be what we all think.

3 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Has DC left due to exceptional stress and family trauma. I wonder if clubs can take out insurance for cases like this in which case our compensation payment might not be what we all think.

The guy next to me thought that Clarke was visible in the Lorne Street Stand v Bristol Rovers. I didn't have my glasses on and what I just said could be completely wrong. But retaining his services in a different capacity or having a soft landing before eventually departing for a new job is what a caring employer might do. Also not throwing away wages on gardening leave is a sensible approach.

I think the situation with Clarke has some unique features. First he was head hunted. Second he encountered severe family circumstances no one would ever want. Thirdly he had been very successful the previous season and for half this season. Fourthly it looks like one of the most stressful jobs around being a football manager and it could take anyone down.

The guy next to me thought that Clarke was visible in the Lorne Street Stand v Bristol Rovers. I didn't have my glasses on and what I just said could be completely wrong. But retaining his services in a different capacity or having a soft landing before eventually departing for a new job is what a caring employer might do. Also not throwing away wages on gardening leave is a sensible approach.
I think the situation with Clarke has some unique features. First he was head hunted. Second he encountered severe family circumstances no one would ever want. Thirdly he had been very successful the previous season and for half this season. Fourthly it looks like one of the most stressful jobs around being a football manager and it could take anyone down.
I also heard that DC was at the game.

Archived