onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

James Wilson

worldsendvalefan

52 minutes ago, worldsendvalefan said:
4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:
I think he is in his best position right now, playing off a main striker or just behind the front two, where he can create and score goals. It is a joy to see his skill in a Vale shirt but somehow he needs to get involved a more.
He's as skillful a player as anyone in this division and some of his touches get you out of your seat, the amount of time he appears to have on the ball even when the game is like a tornado around him is incredible.
I've often thought about him playing in midfield but to my eyes he doesn't appear to have the engine/legs to get around the pitch so for me he's best where he is.

I agree he needs to be involved more. That's why I think dropping back into midfield could be advantageous. He could play a similar role to what Ray Walker used to. I just don't think we are getting the best out of his talent at present.

Walker had more energy in his legs than Wilson will ever have he will never make a midfield player.

Advert

37 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Walker had more energy in his legs than Wilson will ever have he will never make a midfield player.

Walker's problem is the lack of energy in his legs because of his poor fitness record.  In the last almost 6 seasons he has started less than 100 games.  

10 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Walker's problem is the lack of energy in his legs because of his poor fitness record.  In the last almost 6 seasons he has started less than 100 games.  

Think you have got the wrong Walker I'm was talking about Ray Walker who was one of the top midfielders the vale has ever had Wilson could never play like him in midfield or like John Green or Brian Horton and one or two others i could mention he just has not got the overhaul energy and attitude do do it l'm afraid please forget playing him as a midfielder as some on here are suggesting.

57 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

Think you have got the wrong Walker I'm was talking about Ray Walker who was one of the top midfielders the vale has ever had Wilson could never play like him in midfield or like John Green or Brian Horton and one or two others i could mention he just has not got the overhaul energy and attitude do do it l'm afraid please forget playing him as a midfielder as some on here are suggesting.

See above!!

11 hours ago, Rory said:
18 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

He is 60 years old in September to be fair.

And still 10x better than the current incumbents ...... fetch him a pair of boots.

19 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Now we're talking midfield players, not many better, if any, in central midfield in a Vale shirt that Ray Walker.  Jonny Green would be up there.

A player like James Wilson would benefit greatly from having a Ray Walker type player playing in the same team, someone who can give him the ball and quickly, someone always looking to quickly move the ball forwards. Most of the time James Wilson is chasing the ball or feeding off scraps rather than receiving the ball in space or receiving the ball when the opposition defense are not set.

That type of player left Vale Park in summer 2022 his name Jake Taylor,  he was the best, most complete midfield player I've seen at Vale Park since Ray Walker or certainly had the potential to be.

He didn't get much of a chance under DC and also due to injury we didn't see much of him and I was gutted he left.  However as it's turned out DC was probably right to let Jake go as sadly he appears injury prone as he hasn't made many appearances for Morecambe this season.

Interestingly Morcambe have a player, Dan Crowley, who's a similar type of/skilful midfield player who's played at a higher level and signed for Morecambe I think 'til the end of the season, he many be someone on DC/DF's radar as a possible signing.

A player like James Wilson would benefit greatly from having a Ray Walker type player playing in the same team, someone who can give him the ball and quickly, someone always looking to quickly move the ball forwards. Most of the time James Wilson is chasing the ball or feeding off scraps rather than receiving the ball in space or receiving the ball when the opposition defense are not set.
That type of player left Vale Park in summer 2022 his name Jake Taylor,  he was the best, most complete midfield player I've seen at Vale Park since Ray Walker or certainly had the potential to be.

You'd put JT ahead of the likes of Ian Bogie, Stewart Talbot, Dave Brammer, Tommy Widdrington, MBW, Mickey Cummins, and Danny Sonner? All about opinions, but blimey

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

You'd put JT ahead of the likes of Ian Bogie, Stewart Talbot, Dave Brammer, Tommy Widdrington, MBW, Mickey Cummins, and Danny Sonner? All about opinions, but blimey

Those players were superb players for vale and you could add the likes of Earle and Ian Taylor in there.  However the Jake Taylor that played under John Askey in the Covid hit season looked one hell of a player will real potential hence why Forest mucked him about. Remember jake Taylor was only 21 at that time.

So I would put JT ahead of those players, certainly on potential at the time, as you say all about opinions.

Archived