onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The adverts on OVF

Not sure if it's just me getting this but since we started having adverts, I have a grey strip at the bottom of every page. 9 times out of 10 there aren't even any ads on it but you can't click on page numbers etc until you 'x' the grey strip. Obviously this is very much a trivial issue and I'll probably get used to it, but it's a bit irritating especialy as there aren't even any adverts being displayed..

Edit - @robf just seen your original thread on so will post there. Could you delete this thread please?

Advert

On 19/10/2022 at 16:33, werstayinup said:

That grey strip is doing my head in tbh as its on every page you go on

On 18/10/2022 at 21:49, Aguar61 said:

Sort it out, it's garbage.

I can remove it but if anyone wants to suggest how else I generate revenue to pay the bills I'd appreciate it. I've tried things in the past such as ad-free subscriptions and none of them work. This is a busy site so the costs are sky high especially as the server company have recently increased their costs. 

So, my only choice is to carry adverts. I deliberately don't have any adverts that cover content or pop-up/make noise etc. For instance, I would argue that the ads on here are far less intrusive than say the Sentinel website and many other forums.

That particular advert (which is a sticky) is the most visible. I would argue that it doesn't get in the way and you can still read threads while it sits at the bottom of the page.

I could remove that one and leave the others - but that sticky, by being the most visible, brings in the most revenue and so I'd probably have to make up the shortfall myself if I did. It's already pretty tight in terms of meeting the costs.

So, while I appreciate these comments - with respect it's easy to complain without offering a genuine alternative. Without the income they provide, I would probably have to close the site.

(note - moving this out of Port Vale Present as it's been posted in the wrong section)

On 18/10/2022 at 21:17, mr.hobblesworth said:

Not sure if it's just me getting this but since we started having adverts, I have a grey strip at the bottom of every page. 9 times out of 10 there aren't even any ads on it but you can't click on page numbers etc until you 'x' the grey strip.

Actually on that particular issue I can have a look at fixing it by moving the page numbers up above the advert. Leave that one with me to look at over the weekend.

1 minute ago, robf said:

I can remove it but if anyone wants to suggest how else I generate revenue to pay the bills I'd appreciate it. I've tried things in the past such as ad-free subscriptions and none of them work. This is a busy site so the costs are sky high especially as the server company have recently increased their costs. 

So, my only choice is to carry adverts. I deliberately don't have any adverts that cover content or pop-up/make noise etc. 

That particular advert (which is a sticky) is the most visible. I would argue that it doesn't get in the way and you can still read threads while it sits at the bottom of the page.

I could remove that one and leave the others - but that sticky, by being the most visible, brings in the most revenue and so I'd probably have to make up the shortfall myself if I did.

So, while I appreciate these comments - with respect it's easy to complain without offering a genuine alternative. Without the income they provide, I would probably have to close the site.

(note - moving this out of Port Vale Present as it's been posted in the wrong section)

Do you know why it's just a grey strip though, shouldn't it actually be showing as some sort of advertisement?

2 minutes ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

Do you know why it's just a grey strip though, shouldn't it actually be showing as some sort of advertisement?

It should serve adverts. I see them (there's no special privileges for me).

I can pass on the fact that some adverts aren't serving to the provider.

On 19/10/2022 at 15:49, MelbourneValiant said:

My screen shrinks, I get a blue border that invades the outer edges if the screen.

Screenshot_20221019-224920.png

Hmmm, do you mind messaging me with what browser you use as I can pass that on to the advert provider? It shouldn't look like that so apologies and I will try and get it corrected for you.

So, having thought about it I'm going to do an experiment...

I'm going to remove that sticky advert for the weekend and see what happens in terms of daily revenue. 

I will see if it means I won't be able to meet my outgoings. 

a) If I can still meet my costs then fine, I'll keep it switched off

b) If I can't then I'll post on this thread and throw it open to you to come up with a way of making that gap up - whether that's through some of you donating, having an paid ad-free subscription option and so on. I would repeat I have tried both of those options before and they didn't work, but it's worth another go. If I can make enough through other means then I'll keep it switched off - but if not, then the sticky ad comes back on. 

I don't think I can be fairer than that.

Archived