onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Peterborough United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

I'm not going to this away game. From where I live, not driving, it involves trains that go via Sheffield or York with the risk of being stranded. But also I was concerned with safety as there was serious fighting on a train in the Peterborough v Bolton match.

Coming back to the match. Peterborough have lost multiple games in a row. That is to be exploited by understanding their weaknesses and making sure they can't rebuild confidence by getting an early goal. They are likely to be a better team than that form suggests because their losses include Derby, Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Bolton. That is strong opposition by L1 standards. 

I don't know what team I would pick to start. I would be careful about over egging the midweek win against Shrewsbury's squad players. I think it needs to be resilient in defending / soaking up pressure when the home team has more of the ball and first rate on the counter attack. We have a very level ability squad with the manager now looking to a few exceptional players to drive us up L1. However, play too many exceptional players at once can lose too much physicality and make us vulnerable defensively. 

I'm hopeful of a good result. 

5 hours ago, NorthwoodValiant said:

I went to the club shop earlier and bought my ticket, I was absolutely not going to pay £27 but I found out that they do Under 24 tickets for £18, so I'm lucky in that regard, especially considering I'm 23 years and 340ish days old

I'll be going alone though! Catching the train from stoke at 10:33

I took a little detour to the club shop myself on my way home to Cambridgeshire after working in Manchester this week.   I tried to take advantage of the same deal but at 23 and 11,315ish days old wasn’t quite as lucky.

Still feels like I’ve saved myself a couple of quid rather than paying £29 on the day, even though the detour probably cost me more than £2 in fuel 🥴

I fancy us for a point tomorrow

There are options on the bench if we need a goal. Still not convinced on our starting MF or or RCB/RWB link up. Hopefully it's Jones on the ball more than Smith. I'd like to see Ojo nearer to the back 4 and Butters picking the ball up and running. 

If our forward players get service,there's a goal from somewhere. A win could take us flying up the table.

Stevens 

Cass Smith Jones 

Wozza Ojo Garrity Benning 

Butters 

Wilson Ellis 

SUBS Stone Forrester Hall Walker Politic Massey Conlon 

This means Robinson McDermott Small McCarron  Mipo plus injured Proctor,Carsley and Holden make up the rest of the squad 

It’s a game we should have confidence going into. Few weeks ago this looked really daunting but they’ve lost 6 before Tuesday against a kids team and we’ve been getting better so shouldn’t be negative going into this.

Do need a good start though and get their crowd on their backs rather than give them encouragement. We’ve got the leagues form striker and hopefully Ellis can carry that on.

Draw would be decent but winnable if we play well.

4 hours ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

I took a little detour to the club shop myself on my way home to Cambridgeshire after working in Manchester this week.   I tried to take advantage of the same deal but at 23 and 11,315ish days old wasn’t quite as lucky.

Still feels like I’ve saved myself a couple of quid rather than paying £29 on the day, even though the detour probably cost me more than £2 in fuel 🥴

No disrespect, but in terms of concessions on ticket prices why didn’t you look at the other end of the age spectrum?  I’m quite happy to pass myself off as an old fogie to save a couple of quid these days. 😳

1 hour ago, Valiiant said:

Would be happy to be 0-0 or 1-1 with 20 minutes to go knowing the quality we have to bring off the bench, regardless of who starts tomorrow. But bringing on the likes of Politic and Massey against tiring opposition is a massive string to our bow.

How about 0-0 or 1-1 with 5 minutes to go and we win a penalty, thereby failing to equal the “record”.  Part of me wants that record now having come this far.

9 hours ago, Valiiant said:

Would be happy to be 0-0 or 1-1 with 20 minutes to go knowing the quality we have to bring off the bench, regardless of who starts tomorrow. But bringing on the likes of Politic and Massey against tiring opposition is a massive string to our bow.

Our bench is that strong I d be happy as long as we are no more than 4:0 down with 20 minutes to go 🤔😂

Good luck and safe trip to all travelling valiants keep a look out for my mate and his little lad at their first ever away game. 

lets stick together and not over react if things don’t go our way today.

no idea of the team but my guess is it will be very similar to the one which started against Shrewsbury ( the league game not the cup game 😝)

UTV (whatever happens today)

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

No disrespect, but in terms of concessions on ticket prices why didn’t you look at the other end of the age spectrum?  I’m quite happy to pass myself off as an old fogie to save a couple of quid these days. 😳

No disrespect taken.  Never even considered it.  No surprise there if you think my logic had me using a fiver’s worth of fuel to save £2 on a ticket in the first place.  Admittedly my intelligence/street smartness tends to go out of the window anyway, as I assume it does for many other fans, when it comes to my following the Vale. Questionable intelligence can be the only explanation for a wardrobe full of ill-fitting replica tops - though l’m sure that’s due to the lack of circulating air in the wardrobe causing them to shrink over time, either that or they shrink in the carrier bag on the way home from the club shop which I’m certain has rose tinted mirrors in the changing room.

17 minutes ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

No disrespect taken.  Never even considered it.  No surprise there if you think my logic had me using a fiver’s worth of fuel to save £2 on a ticket in the first place.  Admittedly my intelligence/street smartness tends to go out of the window anyway, as I assume it does for many other fans, when it comes to my following the Vale. Questionable intelligence can be the only explanation for a wardrobe full of ill-fitting replica tops - though l’m sure that’s due to the lack of circulating air in the wardrobe causing them to shrink over time, either that or they shrink in the carrier bag on the way home from the club shop which I’m certain has rose tinted mirrors in the changing room.

Getting back to the proper thread though, in recent years  l’ve only ever seen the Vale lose at the teams more local to me eg Cambridge, Colchester, Northampton and Peterborough but with recent Vale performances and Posh’s current poor form, l’m going to today’s game much more confident of us getting a positive result than I have on any previous occasion.  3-2 Vale - Ellis, Willo and a last minute winner from super sub Dennis.

UTV

12 hours ago, DazFred said:

I fancy us for a point tomorrow

There are options on the bench if we need a goal. Still not convinced on our starting MF or or RCB/RWB link up. Hopefully it's Jones on the ball more than Smith. I'd like to see Ojo nearer to the back 4 and Butters picking the ball up and running. 

If our forward players get service,there's a goal from somewhere. A win could take us flying up the table.

Stevens 

Cass Smith Jones 

Wozza Ojo Garrity Benning 

Butters 

Wilson Ellis 

SUBS Stone Forrester Hall Walker Politic Massey Conlon 

This means Robinson McDermott Small McCarron  Mipo plus injured Proctor,Carsley and Holden make up the rest of the squad 

Like this but would swap Massey for Worrall, Walker for Garrity and with much consideration: Politic for Butterworth. Two reasons for Butterworth/Politic swap: 1. If Wilson or Harrison need to come off, Butters might be a more natural replacement (as we don't have Mipo) and 'hat-trick'.

I think we should/need to give Peterborough something to think about defensively. Our team/players are starting to look really comfortable on the ball and as Crosby mentioned on Tuesday we are starting to play more possession based football. And you can see from the squad that we have the players to do this.

6 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Like this but would swap Massey for Worrall, Walker for Garrity and with much consideration: Politic for Butterworth. Two reasons for Butterworth/Politic swap: 1. If Wilson or Harrison need to come off, Butters might be a more natural replacement (as we don't have Mipo) and 'hat-trick'.

I think we should/need to give Peterborough something to think about defensively. Our team/players are starting to look really comfortable on the ball and as Crosby mentioned on Tuesday we are starting to play more possession based football. And you can see from the squad that we have the players to do this.

It's a good dilemma to have...

Archived