Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Advert:

2 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I missed this the first time round.

There's a hashtag on the tweet #Garrity2023

Fair enough didn't see that, just sped read the article. 

That's Joyce and Oyeleke ticked off so far then, from what these articles suggest. 

• Like 1

Welcome Ben

Oldham fans are not complimentary at all... very bad in fact.

BUT... There are plenty of examples of loan players doing nothing in their first full run out for a team and them developing and becoming good players. Shodipo at QPR stands out as one example who was pants for us, then went on to pay for QPR in the championship and scored 10 goals at Oxford in league 1 last year.

Ben was a none league wonderkid who Blackpool took a punt on and saw enough in him to extend his contract because they knew they could get a fee for him.

DC says: 

“Ben is a young, hungry and ambitious footballer who we are delighted to bring to Port Vale. He’s got great energy and fitness levels and I see him an attacking number 8 capable of the box-to-box role.

“He enjoyed a successful season on a personal level at Oldham and I believe he has got more goals in him. We are very pleased to have secured his signature and looking forward to working with him in pre-season and beyond and helping Ben to kick on further.”

Advert:

Doesn’t look too different from the sort of player we have been buying in recent years. He hardly screams quality and does not seem to have done that well at Oldham. 29 pro appearances at 24? 

Seems very unproven. 

• Like 1

Just now, TJHValiant said:

Doesn’t look too different from the sort of player we have been buying in recent years. He hardly screams quality and does not seem to have done that well at Oldham. 29 pro appearances at 24? 

Seems very unproven. 

As was a certain Mr Rodney 

5 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Oldham fans are not complimentary at all... very bad in fact.

BUT... There are plenty of examples of loan players doing nothing in their first full run out for a team and them developing and becoming good players. Shodipo at QPR stands out as one example who was pants for us, then went on to pay for QPR in the championship and scored 10 goals at Oxford in league 1 last year.

There's loads of factors involved IMO.

Oldham are being linked with Luke Joyce because they lacked a defensive midfielder and shipped lots of goals. If that's the case then that's not going to have helped their perception of Garrity last season.

You can imagine it won't look great if there's no cover behind a box-to-box midfielder and he breaks forward and the opposition then clear into acres of space. 

Anyhow, whatever the reasons, there have been plenty of players not rated by other clubs who have done well for us. I don't really care what he has done for Oldham or any other club, it's what he can offer in a Vale shirt that's most important.

• Like 4

Advert:

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Seems some sort of cult figure at Blackpool judging by the tweets.

Welcome lad and let's face it who takes any note of Oldham fans opinions. Not me .

I think they're just taking the plss tbh mate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Seems very unproven. 

I think there's always going to be a mixture. We're two signings into a major rebuild and there's always going to be a mixture of players in terms of experience, age, potential and so on. It's how the entire squad balances out at the end of the exercise that matters.

• Like 2

I'd much rather unproven but thought good enough by both DC and DF than proven but average/crap at best, which is largely all we've signed for 4 years. Last season was his first experience of league football, having been bought on potential by a higher league club. That's enough for me to get behind the lad.

Seems very unproven. 

Advert:

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings