Match Thread: Port Vale v Cheltenham Town

3 points behind 3rd place Cheltenham thus lots to play for. In contrast the Robins have only played  Morecambe, who they lost to,  in the current top 12. Whereas our games have been 5 against the current top 8. Hopefully we came through the Oldham win without injuries. So, carry on with our attacking style and improvement making sure we take our chances in the first half and wrap the game up.  Approach the game with confidence and pick up 3 points.

• Like 3

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There was a thread running stating Askey was a game away from being under real pressure. There were many more posts about Worrall needing to be dropped. He has always needed 5 or so games to get int

Would Liverpool have won the league without Salah and Mane?  Average Prem strikers don't get that many goals.  But that's not because they were lucky, it's because their scouting and recruitment  poli

Burgess much better. Good cameo from Pope. Worrall better as he was against Oldham. Amoo not on the pitch second half. Don't start Robinson again. 

I wouldn't argue with your preference.

We eventually beat them easily last year by encouraging our wingers to go at their men, getting crosses in and bombarding their box in the second half. Bennett I think got a couple. They looked comfortable and well drilled until then and usually play three at the back so breaking them down won't be easy.

They've conceded less than us and have clean sheets in each of their last 3 games, so are clearly well organised. Andy Williams is a good player for them and will be a threat, while Reuben Reid always has a goal in him. 

Score first and I'm confident we'll win the game. Either 1 -0 to us or 0-0, 1-1 would be my guess. But such is the shitstorm that is 2020 it will probably finish 3-3!

Edited by TylerB

Expecting a very tough game, they are very good away from home. Same team as Saturday for me. I think 4 points from the next two games should be a minimum, anything more would obviously be brilliant. 

We have improved massively over the last three games and if we can carry that on to Tuesday, I don’t see why we can’t pick up three points. We generally perform better against the top sides, so I’m going to be confident and go for a 2-1 Vale win. 

2 hours ago, TheSage said:

We eventually beat them easily last year by encouraging our wingers to go at their men, getting crosses in and bombarding their box in the second half. Bennett I think got a couple. They looked comfortable and well drilled until then and usually play three at the back so breaking them down won't be easy.

It was a draw mate just before Christmas and 0-0 away .

3 hours ago, TheSage said:

Thought it was a Pope hat trick?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I know that but the person said Bennett scored a couple

Obviously he didn't as Pope got a hat trick

You are 100% correct Darren and I'm 100% wrong. My apologies. I should double check before I post! My memory is playing tricks on me. I was thinking of the Exeter game -another good, well organised team.

Blimey. I wish I was twenty again and had a decent memory. 🤔

Over the last few games we have seemed to be excellent in the first half but then fade badly in the 2nd,we just need to get that going for most of the game then i can see us competing with anyone.

I am sure i have seen a stat somewhere that if we score first then we rarely lose under Askey but concede first then we rarely win....any stattos out there

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheSage said:

You are 100% correct Darren and I'm 100% wrong. My apologies. I should double check before I post! My memory is playing tricks on me. I was thinking of the Exeter game -another good, well organised team.

Blimey. I wish I was twenty again and had a decent memory. 🤔

No worries I wasn't trying to be a pedant 

• Thanks 1

Tough game. These are a good side that I think would have gone up automatically if not for the season ending early, I’d take a point from this one. 

Either same 11 or Cullen In for Robinson as he has a very good record at vale park.