Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

Went down this morning and looked like either Harvey Bradbury or Jake Hyde were training with the squad. Dino and Rhys Lovett were training with Scott Brown. The morning session which I saw was mainly with the attacking players a couple of midfielders like Manny and Conlon. The defenders and midfielders like Joyce Burgess and Whitehead were absent or doing something in the gym possibly. As I assume the rule still applies that only 30 players can train at one time.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

I honestly despair with some Vale fans... Is it bred into our DNA that we have to seek out negativity???? As I'm typing this, we've have just launched the nicest football strip I can remember, desig

Posted Images

I think Manny has to be played as an attacking midfielder, free from much defensive responsibility and focusing most of his energies on driving us up the pitch with his athleticism in the transition, and then using his excellent vision and technical ability in the final third.

He can glide past players and has an excellent through ball on him; was it Sunderland in the Cup he sliced open with a one touch pass?

We were crying out for him last season when teams would arrive at VP and sit deep; needed that little big of magic, of beating a man sitting deep and then stroking it through to the forwards.

I didn't know he excelled in the deeper role at Aldershot, and he may be able to feature there for us, but everytime I've seen him I think he'd be most effectively utilised as the most advanced of the middle three, with a focus on attacking and allowing Joyce + Duracell Bunny 1/2/3 to cover the ground behind him. 

Obviously in your tighter games you may want a middle 3 of Joyce, and then Conlon, Burgess, or Whitehead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Absolutely not! My posts on the whole have been positive, just stating reservations about Whitehead. You can’t shoot someone down for having an opinion about a player can you?

As I’ve already said on this thread I would be very happy to be proven wrong and wish the lad all the best for the season. We the fans all want the same things, promotion. If we don’t achieve that next season then I still won’t be too disappointed as we have a good manager, great coaching staff and fantastic owners who have a vision for PVFC.

I don't have a problem with anybody offering their opinion - but, whereas you say you were mostly positive, another poster said that, of the 8 you posted on this topic, most were negative...and, seemingly, based on the flimsiest of evidence to support your reasoning? If you have a gut feeling - that's fine...nobody can really argue with that until later, when hindsight kicks in. We do all want the same thing - I think...so UTV VTID!!!

1 hour ago, Burslem Academicals said:

....So we now have Joyce/Oyeleke/Conlon/Whithead/Mills who can play holding central midfield so perhaps Askey has as ever got it covered.

Maybe, with this in mind, we will get some on-pitch rotation, which might confuse the opposition?

• Like 1

Advert:

He's a 21yo, 6'3 target man style striker in the mould of a young Tom Pope!

If we were going to sign him as a development player I wouldn't be against this (low wage, loan him out into non-league, look to improve him to progress into the 1st team).

Maybe with the appointment of Frank Sinclair we might re-introduce the development squad idea?

4 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

If we were going to sign him as a development player I wouldn't be against this (low wage, loan him out into non-league, look to improve him to progress into the 1st team).

Maybe with the appointment of Frank Sinclair we might re-introduce the development squad idea?

Didn't the development squad give us Andoh and Hugill? £1.9m which should have gone into the club's coffers. One player made the entire exercise worthwhile, whilst providing depth for the first team.

With no scholars making the grade, and Brentford excelling with the use of a 'B Team' (similar to our development squad, young players picked up from elsewhere), I'd love to see it return.

You'd need to get a proper good scout in like George Foster (Europe Scout at Swansea I believe now), and a proper coach like Jimmy Bell. Maybe one for Danny Pugh to cut his teeth with? Believe he's been looking after/reporting on loaned players.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Advert:

2 hours ago, GingerValiant said:

Went down this morning and looked like either Harvey Bradbury or Jake Hyde were training with the squad. Dino and Rhys Lovett were training with Scott Brown. The morning session which I saw was mainly with the attacking players a couple of midfielders like Manny and Conlon. The defenders and midfielders like Joyce Burgess and Whitehead were absent or doing something in the gym possibly. As I assume the rule still applies that only 30 players can train at one time.

They’ve been split into 2 groups with the rest of them being in for an afternoon session. 

Harvey Bradbury 21 could be a good signing and will learn a lot from Pope before Pope hangs up the boots.....so that would mean Amoo on the right Cullen/Pope down the middle and Worral on the left and young players breaking through Browne/Bradbury/Rodney.

Seen a few clips of Bradbury good with his head,good first touch and lay offs,good hold up play but also sharp around the box and can finish but also for a big man quick and can run in behind....also a hard worker.....sort of player who would fit an Askey team.....kinda a good allrounder.

Comments above that we need an older experienced striker who has been there and done it well isn't that exactly Pope and Cullen while Bradbury and Rodney will learn a lot off these two and it would be a waste not to have a couple of strikers who can learn the tricks of the trade of these two and both have played enough games in non-league to be given their chance at first team football now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, valeparklife said:

Isn't he potentially a "rough diamond" which people used to clamour for?

• Like 1

Advert:

40 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Harvey Bradbury 21 could be a good signing and will learn a lot from Pope before Pope hangs up the boots.....so that would mean Amoo on the right Cullen/Pope down the middle and Worral on the left and young players breaking through Browne/Bradbury/Rodney.

Seen a few clips of Bradbury good with his head,good first touch and lay offs,good hold up play but also sharp around the box and can finish but also for a big man quick and can run in behind....also a hard worker.....sort of player who would fit an Askey team.....kinda a good allrounder.

Comments above that we need an older experienced striker who has been there and done it well isn't that exactly Pope and Cullen while Bradbury and Rodney will learn a lot off these two and it would be a waste not to have a couple of strikers who can learn the tricks of the trade of these two and both have played enough games in non-league to be given their chance at first team football now.

Honestly you can make any player look good with a series of clips. Even big Reg. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Isn't he potentially a "rough diamond" which people used to clamour for?

I thought Rodney fulfilled that criteria for this season, hence the 3 year contract. 

I'm all for getting young lads in who we can develop but I'm still of the view we need an EFL experienced forward. Cullen has had myriad injury issues for 3 years, Pope is missing the first 6, and Rodney, as Askey has openly stated, is a long-term player.

If Cullen pulls up in pre-season, or at any point in the first 6, I wouldn't want the choice to be Rodney/Bradbury, but that's just me.

I think the squad is ready to rumble if the forward is secured. Just hope it isn't silly season with the wages.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3