Regal Beagle

The Budget

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Did I miss the investment in adult social care in the budget?  Didn't the PM say he had a plan for this?  When is the government green paper on it, due in 2017 and postponed 6 times so far, going to be published?

Jacko51 comeon credit where its due, for a tory budget that was bloody good, even the labour frount bench could only nit pick, and regarding the social care if he says hes a plan, give him a chance to sort all the details out before announcing it to the world, if he fails then we can pull him down...also there's more important things for them to be doing eg trade deals, transition dealings, this bloody virus, green papers will come when the toilet rolls finally disappear.

21 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

Jacko51 comeon credit where its due, for a tory budget that was bloody good, even the labour frount bench could only nit pick, and regarding the social care if he says hes a plan, give him a chance to sort all the details out before announcing it to the world, if he fails then we can pull him down...also there's more important things for them to be doing eg trade deals, transition dealings, this bloody virus, green papers will come when the toilet rolls finally disappear.

For a Tory budget it was a bloody miracle and finally, an acceptance by them that ten years of austerity have been madness.  I only asked about adult social care because the PM said before the election that he had a plan ready to go so I expected some reference to it in the budget, especially the green paper has been on the go for over two years.

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

For a Tory budget it was a bloody miracle and finally, an acceptance by them that ten years of austerity have been madness.  I only asked about adult social care because the PM said before the election that he had a plan ready to go so I expected some reference to it in the budget, especially the green paper has been on the go for over two years.

Also the green paper on grooming gangs which is strongly suggested to be why the home sec. was pushing the civil servants including rutnam to get it published...

On 11/03/2020 at 19:19, Jacko51 said:

The Tory supporters on here blathered on during the election about how Labour would overspend and get us into trouble by borrowing too much money.  Looks like Boris and Co don't agree.

They're in a position to do that now because they have managed to reduce the deficit to around 2% of GDP from the near-10% it was in 2010 after the Labour profligate years!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

They're in a position to do that now because they have managed to reduce the deficit to around 2% of GDP from the near-10% it was in 2010 after the Labour profligate years!

Correct.

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

They have not said where all the money is coming from, investment does not come out of current spending it is borrowed.

4 hours ago, Bycarsbill said:

So having spent all that time reducing the deficit because it was a bad thing they have now decided they must increase it again??

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

So having spent all that time reducing the deficit because it was a bad thing they have now decided they must increase it again??

why the ??, the govt. have helped the country because of this virus, plus the promised investment in projects, and all that and more can be done now because of those austerity years have put the country in a lot better position... and think what or even how much we would be borrowing if we hadn't had those years, thank God the tories won in 2010...or we would be deep deep in the SH*T.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

why the ??, the govt. have helped the country because of this virus, plus the promised investment in projects, and all that and more can be done now because of those austerity years have put the country in a lot better position... and think what or even how much we would be borrowing if we hadn't had those years, thank God the tories won in 2010...or we would be deep deep in the SH*T.

The Tories didn’t win in 2010 

4 hours ago, Davebrad said:

Just tell us what is different between what Bozza is planning and what Jezza would have done. The answer - nothing. 

I’m not saying this budget is good or bad, I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of some who are reporting on it. If Corbyn had won the election, moved his girlfriend into No 10 whilst still officially married to another woman, got her up the duff then introduced a budget which doubled our borrowing commitment how would the Mail, Express and Sun responded?!

And please don’t respond with some silly comment about Corbyn and the election because it will only demonstrate you are completely missing the point of my post. 

Which parts of Pandemic and Zero Interest Rates do some people not understand?I await the remainer conspiracy theory that Boris and the Chinese have forced a ban on freedom of movement in the EU zone.

12 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Just tell us what is different between what Bozza is planning and what Jezza would have done. The answer - nothing. 

Jezza. along with his marxist sidekick McDickhead would have borrowed twice as much and bankrupted the country.

16 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

The Tories didn’t win in 2010 

Ok, to be pedantic the coalition, and that coalition killed off the Lib-Dems, but everything else was true... and my point was he promised investment in infrastructure etc and he's spent money on them, the virus was unexpected but he's given money to off-set the problems that as and is causing, but  with the austerity years, the country is better placed to cope moneywise. If labour had still been in power over the last decade with all their borrowing history, plus now extra money to deal with this virus the country would has I said be in deep deep SH*T.

regarding Boris and his personel life, years ago it would have been frowned on, now I think the only people to raise a eyebrow would be the older generation, the young ones don't bother, whether that's good I've my doubts, but morals have changed...

48 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Which parts of Pandemic and Zero Interest Rates do some people not understand?I await the remainer conspiracy theory that Boris and the Chinese have forced a ban on freedom of movement in the EU zone.

or a cull on pensioners,

Yeh, thank goodness the Tories have cut 17,000 beds from the NHS, spent less per head of population on health care than the vast majority of European countries, and have fewer intensive care beds than virtually every other westernised nation, apart from a record shortage of doctors, nurses and health care workers.

Good job we are not facing a crisis isn't it?

They have lost the economic argument and belatedly accepted Labour's model that to boost a depressed economy you need to invest and oil the wheels rather than strangle growth and encourage austerity which is what we've had for the past 10 years. The result? Virtually no growth, no real inward investment, stagnant wages and an economy that has stalled.

As Jacko says, had Labour proposed borrowing another £60 billion, spending at least double that on Brexit which will harm our economy still further, and see the debt rise to over £2 trillion, some of you would be raging. 

Tories don't believe in Keynesian economics, all they have done is to promise civil engineering and construction mates large contracts in the future.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Yeh, thank goodness the Tories have cut 17,000 beds from the NHS, spent less per head of population on health care than the vast majority of European countries, and have fewer intensive care beds than virtually every other westernised nation, apart from a record shortage of doctors, nurses and health care workers.

Good job we are not facing a crisis isn't it?

They have lost the economic argument and belatedly accepted Labour's model that to boost a depressed economy you need to invest and oil the wheels rather than strangle growth and encourage austerity which is what we've had for the past 10 years. The result? Virtually no growth, no real inward investment, stagnant wages and an economy that has stalled.

As Jacko says, had Labour proposed borrowing another £60 billion, spending at least double that on Brexit which will harm our economy still further, and see the debt rise to over £2 trillion, some of you would be raging. 

We still wouldn't be over the last crisis if it were not for the difficult decisions made to protect the economy from the damaging labour policies.

As mentioned, the tories have not accepted anything from the historical losers. The country knows that corbyn cannot be trusted to protect us. They were unelectable.

It is really time you got over it.