Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

1 minute ago, osprey said:

How does he get match fit if he doesn’t play?

By playing friendlies behind closed doors or the the reserve team perhaps? Bringing him on for 10 minutes isn't going to do <ovf censored> all for his fitness.

• Like 1

Very frustrating!! 

The positives are we are back in the playoffs... it’s a 4 club race for 2 spaces between 

Us, Northampton, colchester and Bradford.

Get more points than two of those (or the same) in the next 10 games and we are in the playoffs! Simple as that!

Oh, and how much more fun is this than worrying about morcambes results and our football league status! 

Keep the faith... UTV!!

• Like 1

FT 2-2, really disappointing. Despite a decent performance, to make such an avoidable defensive mistake at that late stage of the game, after just re-taking the lead, is just not good enough. It's been our weakness all season - only Macclesfield and Crawley have drawn more than we have. 

At that point we were just 5 points off the automatic places, so this is a real opportunity missed. We have to improve our concentration and determination to see out a game, otherwise it's going to cost us. We're back in the play off positions but we could have been three points clear of Colchester. 

Let's hope JA can lift the players because we are running out of games to get those six wins.

Feels like 2 pts dropped but at least Vale got something from a tricky team in awful conditions.

The wind seemed to get hold of the ball for their 2nd, the flight deceived both Legge and Brown.

Play-offs still a distinct possibility, not over yet by a long way.

• Like 2

Our game management is so poor! Very disappointing to drop points again. But still a points a point and it keeps the pot boiling. Tough match at Cheltenham coming up they seem to have the  nouse for winning anything there will be a bonus . Fingers crossed for something . 

I think Askey was guilty of letting the game drift when we were leading 1-0. We lost our shape and we were sloppy.

I would have brought Browne on for Amoo, put Worrall on the right and given Monty a bit more protection. 

Beat Cheltenham next weekend and all will be forgiven today.

With the players they have it's almost a crime that Scunthorpe aren't in the top 10 at the very least. Thought they were just about good for a point all things considered - It was difficult for both teams today with this shocking weather.

• Like 1

Here we go again....I'm fed up of continually writing this.....but why are we incapable of closing-out a game?  We drop so many points with 90 minute and plus goals against us--drives me absolutely potty! Four  goals conceded in last two successive matches and 4 points dropped.  Hope these aren't going to prove too costly in such a tightly contested fight for top three and play-offs?

• Like 1

Frustrating to throw points away against a very poor looking side who were clearly there for the taking. Askey needs to shoulder some of the blame as it was obvious around 60 minutes that we needed to make some changes. 

• Like 1

Real chance missed. Their best two players were subbed Eisa and Van Veen 

The equaliser was coming and the Cullen withdrawal actually made us worse not more compact.

It's going to be a bumpy ride that's for sure. 

Glass half full me:-

1. Not lost in a game with difficult conditions, getting a point against a side that earlier in the season ripped us apart (as with Walsall).

2. Back in the playoffs.

3. At least one of their goals was a very bad mistake that you wouldn’t expect to be repeated.

Glass half empty me:-

1. Yet more points dropped from winning position. If we’d have secured just a quarter of those points we’d be in the automatic places.

2. Yet another goalkeeping error.

3. Second successive week where we’ve been good-ish first half, but awful season half.

4. Subs once again too long in coming. Their first equaliser was about 10 mins in the making because nothing was sticking up top and we could barely get out of our half despite having the wind. Plus Manny looked completely lost and clearly isn’t fit, so why not use Taylor? We only made of the three changes anyway, despite a strong bench.

5. Second week in a row Monty had a really poor game. Clark must come in at left-back next week.

Really, really frustrating because it is simply about game management which, let’s face it, is non-existent. Did we have a yellow card today?  

If we win at Cheltenham then today with look like a decent point, but I don’t see it based on how we seem to panic now when we go on front.

And yes, I know, at the start of the season.....blah blah 😡

Edited by Biddulph_PV

Another two points dropped this afternoon, bitterly disappointing. Eight points dropped in added time this season, I’ve got a really bad feeling that will cost us at the end of the season. Brown yet again at fault for the second goal, just like the first at Walsall. However, Brown can be forgiven because he’s saved us more times than he’s cost us. I would just like him to be a bit more commanding in his area. Monty had another poor game, hasn’t looked his best recently. Therefore, Clark comes straight in for Monty and we can have two out and out full backs on the pitch. 
Don’t get too down beat though, Valiants. Seven unbeaten and we move back into the play-offs. Our fate is now in our hands. We looked good today, but we need to cut out those silly mistakes. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season, I will be proud and so should everyone else. 
Very tough game next week against Cheltenham, but remember we have beat them at their place already this year and drew at home. They are beatable and we are capable of turning over any side on our day. 
KTF!

How many more points are we going to throw away this season from winning positions?

I think John Askey and his staff are doing a great job but an area of improvement needed for next season is game management, especially when it comes to making substitutions during a game.

On Paper we had a very strong bench today and after 60 odd minutes during the second half it was clear that we needed to make changes, especially to the midfield area in order to get some fresh legs on the pitch. The management team for whatever reason seem reluctant to make changes when they are clearly needed. Both Conlon and Burgess looked spent forces during the second half and understandably so as they have played a lot of football recently. The pitch today was soaking wet and heavy and in my opinion changes should have been made a lot sooner in order to freshen things up in order to help the team.

A strength of Micky Adams when he was our manager was that if something wasn't working or if someone was having a poor game then he would not hesitate to make substitutions early in a game and change formations, tactics etc.

I think our game management in terms of a lack of making substitutions when required will eventually cost us a play off place this season. 

I hope I am wrong

UTV

• Like 1