onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

General Erection - 12th December 2019

mr.hobblesworth

Advert

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

No I don’t, because in education,fire and police the ppl in charge of the purse strings have no management qualifications. They’ve climbed the greasy pole through cronyism.

its reported that the Fire and a Police commissioner with his entourage cost a lot more than the authorities that they replaced. All this cones out of the budget, so council tax payer has to pay for these lot. It’s said in the public sector, it’s not our money we’re spending, how irresponsible. I have a friend in the police and she used to say come March any spare money has to be spent so there was always overtime. The reason it had to be spent/wasted was because if they didn’t spend it, the next year instead of being rewarded it would be deducted from m the following years budget. What a responsible and great way of handling finances. The local authority are the same, look at all the road repairs that go in in Feb/March.

The ship is far to big to stop and turn around 

The reason that highways works go to site in Feb/March is because principally because it takes that long for the finance to be agreed and the plans to be drawn up; the local authorities often don't know what the allocation is going to be until September.

19 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

The reason that highways works go to site in Feb/March is because principally because it takes that long for the finance to be agreed and the plans to be drawn up; the local authorities often don't know what the allocation is going to be until September.

My information comes from someone in the highways dept. I needed some repairs to the pavement in front of my driveway. The man told me it couldn’t be repaired and until March of the following year as they’d know then what material they would use to repair the damage, as they start their budget again at the start of the next financial year, in April

3 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Only slightly. 😊 And the sale of gold reserves (by no means all or even most) was to attempt to deal with the 2008 financial crisis - the source of which was the sub prime mortgages scandal in the USA; nothing to do with Labour government policy.

In a previous existence I was a public sector manager and the authority I worked for asked me to write a report on alternative methods of funding to authority budgets for my service, and was expressly asked to include PFI in the options as they were considering it. Having done my research I concluded that PFI was easily the worst option they could have taken as the assets would be taken by the PFI contractor and the authority would cease to have control of it - except by a loosely worded output specification. It was essentially a licence to print money for the contracting sector; the only saving grace was that the Government were prepared to contribute much more as funding for the contract than they would have provided to the authority in capital funding. That's why so many local authorities and the NHS went for it - to all intents and purposes, it was the only game in town if you wanted capital funding for your service. So the contractors would build the hospitals, roads etc with a very small residual value at the end of the (typically 25 year) contract - leaving five years residual life before major capital expenditure is required again, requiring another PFI.

Incidentally, the authority I worked for decided against PFI in the end as expenditure on the service would increase by about a third. Which is why I think that if Corbyn gets in one of his first acts would be to buy out all the PFI contracts.

Your local authority were clearly wise not to enter into PFi contracts--of course it was a "licence to print money" that's why so many hospital trusts are now struggling under the burden of those contracts and debt interest payments. Gordon Brown cynically adopted these PFIs to keep that capital spending off his government's balance sheet to prove how "prudent" (remember Prudence?) a chancellor he was.  But as you obviously sused, it was all 'smoke and mirrors' and the chickens are now well and truly home to roost.  Just as Gordon Brown couldn't afford to have all that finance showing on the nation's balance sheet, neither could Corbyn, so that's why he wouldn't be able to "buy out all the PFI contracts." Thankfully, there's no way he & McDonnell are going to get an overall majority so it's all  hypothetical.

5 hours ago, philpvfc said:

No he’s not, he has called an election to gain a majority so Parliament will vote for his deal. The greatest risk of a no deal is another hung parliament because if he cannot get his deal through there is a chance the EU will not grant us another extension.

Philip more than happy to have a wager with you. It will be a No Deal and here's why,

1- The ERG including Mogg have been very quiet, they do not want a deal.

2 - Johnson has been  proven wrong on the NI border deal, it's brushed under the carpet because it's academic if we go for a No Deal.

3 - There is a widely expressed belief that Johnson is leaving insufficient time to negotiate, he will pull out and blame the EU.

Dont believe a word he says he is a bluffer and a proven liar.

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

He obviously will, you could put a red rosette on a Monkey and it will win in this constituency.

That's what used to be said about Stoke South and look what happened there.  A couple of weeks ago all three Stoke seats were predicted to go blue by the pollsters.  Stoke South will stay Tory despite the MP having campaigned for Remain before changing his mind!!

Archived