Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

He played a few times central and was rubbish. Which was a bit odd, because he looked like he should be better central. He's got no pace. Him for Amoo, depends whether we are on the front foot or back foot. Amoo was excellent vs FGR but vs Grimsby we'd have been better off with Hannant.

I forgot that Lloyd played left wing at Grimsby, so who would you prefer? Lloyd or Hannant 🙂

Crazy to see Smith being blamed for the last 3 seasons demise. I think we all know  where the blame lies for that. He may not be great on the ball but to say he gives it away every time he gets it is a bit of an exaggeration. 

Also bonkers to see wholesale changes being advocated for the Cambridge game. Straight out of the Aspin book of management that, panic and change things straight away. Crookes at centre half with an inexperienced left back alongside him? That side of the defence would be torn to pieces. Burgess in at centre mid? He isn’t even a centre midfielder is he? Amoo up front? he’s a winger isn’t he?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

When will you get over your Smith out obsession.

He is probably one of the most consistent performers this year (and last)

He is Also one of the few players we could sell on tha higher level for decent money.

Grow up and accept you are wrong.

Smith our obsession there is no Smith out obsession.

Did you watch the game v Grimsby ?

Who was at fault for at least 4 of there goals.

Like I say the opposition managers will look at that game and Vale will be with the dead men before we know it .

There has been to much of that level of performance from the Vale over  the past few seasons .

So what do you suggest ?

Play the same back four .

So its Joyce  Worrall Amoo and Lloyd’s fault we dealt with the ball over the top by being flat footed .

Im not excepting of that it was amateurish to say  the least .

I want folk to be giving good feedback on Vale’s performances not watch Quest and see that .

I hope you are right about Smith hope they sell him ASAP .

On his day he is very good but when he is bad he is abysmal .

Port Vale move into the higher reaches of the division with him representing us will be proof I’m wrong otherwise I’m entitled to my opinion as are you .

We need better than him to move forwards that’s for sure the proof is in all the Lowely placed finishes we have .

My message to Nathan  Smith and Vale is this prove me wrong I want Vale do great .

I don’t want see 4000 gates and out the carabao cup in round one  etc I want folk to want to go the Vale and that level of performance isn’t going get folkbe queuing for the game v Cambridge is it 

UTV 

Tough crowd on here today.

Shaun Brisley is an experience center back who will hopefully do the business, wouldn't make sense at the moment to bring in a defender who is young and untested at this level.

An experienced bull of a midfield player who can play and with similar experience would complement the squad very nicely.

Some people can’t wait for a player to make a mistake so they can bang the drum to get them out of the side. They also can’t wait to make a knee jerk reaction and suggest multiple (ridiculous) changes too. Trouble is people look at the final action before a ball goes in and thinks that’s solely the cause of the goal, of course that’s true sometimes and it’s a factor, but there’s also a bigger picture as to why a team has ended up in that position and there isn’t just one reason for it. Some are too blinkered to see it though. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 3

Have to say a little disappointed with the players mentioned we are trying to sign. The impression I had from Vale Park all summer was to establish a small squad who will be very competitive in the league which we have done. Next try and get some lads from higher to come in on loan to improve the 1st team. Cant see that happening with 3 mentioned - although hasten to add I'm no scout so I could be completely wrong!!

Anyway..... expecting a good reaction from the lads tomorrow. Sooner or later we are going to take our chances and give someone a good hiding ourselves. Think this could be tomorrow.

Final point the talk about Smith is ridiculous, he's been magnificent so far this season except 2nd half Grimsby. There again you could say that about 80% of the team in that 2nd half. He will bounce back to his scrappy best. 

• Like 3

After both teams conceded hatfuls in their last match I’m sort of expecting a very cagey, nip and tuck sort of affair, at least to begin with. Watch that prediction go out of the window in the opening five minutes...

Tried to clean this up a bit. Can we stick to talking about the game please...

After having to miss Grimsby (thankfully), I'm looking forward to a reaction today! Monty back hopefully, I'd go with the same team that started against FGR if so, which is only the one switch (more just a change back to our better side).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No surprise about Lloyd. For that 3 up front to work it needs 2 players with pace either side of the forward and Lloyd just doesn’t have it. 

I would have liked to have seen Pope start today too. 

25 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

No surprise about Lloyd. For that 3 up front to work it needs 2 players with pace either side of the forward and Lloyd just doesn’t have it. 

I would have liked to have seen Pope start today too. 

Whether he can do a job in a midfield 3 is debatable. Completely agree about his lack of pace in a front 3.

Who else thinks we got the best this season in building the squad.  We got Amoo from Cambridge and Cambridge got Hannant ?

Think we have by miles.  

Come on Vale.

Edited by PVFC764

21 hours ago, MBE said:

Have to say a little disappointed with the players mentioned we are trying to sign. The impression I had from Vale Park all summer was to establish a small squad who will be very competitive in the league which we have done. 

You’re right. This is exactly how I feel. The players we are looking at are at best lower level league 2 players who in many cases have reached their peak and unlikely to better that. 

I’d actually rather we took gambles and had fewer players of better quality. 

Guess Joyce will be dodgy Joyce with some of his passes today.

Come on Vale.  Need to put some of these chances away or Cambridge will break and score.

Cambridge have just had a counter attack, the cross was put in and Sam Smith rose to head just wide - Crookes was marking and didn't even jump. Awful defending. 

Vale then have a counter, cross in from Montano and Bennett brings it down with a touch Messi would have been proud of. Quality.

Edited by gavcradd

1 minute ago, gavcradd said:

Cambridge have just had a counter attack, the cross was put in and Sam Smith rose to head just wide - Crookes didn't even jump. Awful defending. 

This is why we need to start putting our chances away.

Every time I hear them (well any team) counter attacking I always think our defence will allow them time to score.

Come on Vale.

• Like 1