onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Champions League final

robf

Awful game contested by 2 teams that finished 3rd and fourth in the Prem the previous season.Champions of Europe,when they shouldn’t have been in the competition.Which team lost 4 times in a competition but still won it? One for a quiz night.Back on the world stage,Liverpool.:laugh:Not even the best team in England.

Congratulations Tylerla.My winnings are in my bank account.

Advert

Having 3 weeks since the last competitive game killed it I think for both teams , surely they need to look at that for next season

I had that thought as well, but shouldn't it have given the players more chance to recharge the old batteries? My guess is that it was the undoubted heat that did for both sides. Not British football weather.

Kane was bound to be rusty after so long out. Liverpool did what was required and no more.

Glad lfc won happy other half and elder lad, cheered on by me and my younger lad.

The early goal may/may not have changed the dynamics of the game but realistically in the main to win a final you have to score which spurs failed to do. Certain penalty albeit there was no danger to the spurs goal when conceded, thought MP got his tactics spot on just shouldnt have started kane(same as firmino but Klopp made the change), spurs always had 3/4 in attack with their midfield dropping to cover the defence whilst also joining the attack, this meant lfc couldn't playout from the back or dominate midfield leaving only a lot of long ball options,, the difference for Liverpool was they made the most of their chances were patient and kept it tight vvd and Alison (matip) were solid nd the tsckle on son when he was clear was equivalent to a goal. If spurs had scored in the rally 2nd half they would have won .

If spurs can strengthen they will be a force , lfc a top addition or 2 would take them nearer the league.

overall tense game and small margins won it,

Awful game contested by 2 teams that finished 3rd and fourth in the Prem the previous season.Champions of Europe,when they shouldn’t have been in the competition.Which team lost 4 times in a competition but still won it? One for a quiz night.Back on the world stage,Liverpool.:laugh:Not even the best team in England.

Congratulations Tylerla.My winnings are in my bank account.

So bitter, and so salty you could genuinely cover every chip in the land. :laugh:

By your logic then United won't deserve Champions League football for a very, very long time. Because they aren't getting near to the title again anytime soon, nevermind actually winning it.

Glad lfc won happy other half and elder lad, cheered on by me and my younger lad.

The early goal may/may not have changed the dynamics of the game but realistically in the main to win a final you have to score which spurs failed to do. Certain penalty albeit there was no danger to the spurs goal when conceded, thought MP got his tactics spot on just shouldnt have started kane(same as firmino but Klopp made the change), spurs always had 3/4 in attack with their midfield dropping to cover the defence whilst also joining the attack, this meant lfc couldn't playout from the back or dominate midfield leaving only a lot of long ball options,, the difference for Liverpool was they made the most of their chances were patient and kept it tight vvd and Alison (matip) were solid nd the tsckle on son when he was clear was equivalent to a goal. If spurs had scored in the rally 2nd half they would have won .

If spurs can strengthen they will be a force , lfc a top addition or 2 would take them nearer the league.

overall tense game and small margins won it,

Well they couldn't really get nearer to winning the league than they did last season. Even if they didn't buy anyone in the summer Liverpool wil still be challenging again. Oxlade Chamberlain won't miss the entire season as he did in the now last campaign while the likes of Keita and Fabinho will be better after their first season over here. Much will obviously depend on how or if City strengthen, but you look at their team and they have players on the way out in the now departed Kompany, and also Fernandinho and David Silva. As it stands right now Klopp has a side that should only get better and better.

The only place I can see Liverpool actually strenghtening would be to bring in a player in the Coutinho mould. Origi has proven himself as a legitimate option from the bench and Rhian Brewster will feature next season too to put some pressure on Firmino. Alberto Moreno is very likely to leave which will mean a back up left-back will need to be found.

true lfc couldn't get closer but can they achieve that level again a lot of tight games went in favour ie everton,newcastle,chelsea,burnley(I think) etc so would expect Liverpool to hit 85-90.

Think if lfc also have a domestic cup run then the depth will be tested, true the ox,gomez will be back as well as the proverbial monkey off their back with a trophy but a domestic trophy,league and champions league would be a test as injuries/suspensions will happen.

will be an interesting season with other teams poss getting stronger and others maybe weaker like Chelsea .

milner must be one of the best English prem lge stars having played consistently at the top with different teams be interesting how long he can go on for,,,the young guns coming through have a big leap to make ie woodburn,kent, Wilson will they be let go.

So bitter, and so salty you could genuinely cover every chip in the land. :laugh:

By your logic then United won't deserve Champions League football for a very, very long time. Because they aren't getting near to the title again anytime soon, nevermind actually winning it.

when utd last won the champ league if my memory serves me right they weren't champions..its a cup comp far diff to a long league season so diff challenge whereby diff mindset and way of play,,whoever wins it wins it on merrit

Pleased that Liverpool won after finishing 2nd in the league but my goodness it wasn't half dull. Didn't mind missing much of the 2nd half after 'watching' the 1st and the penalty decision killed it for me. If that had been given against the Vale in a friendly I'd have been annoyed but a game of this stature and with VAR it makes it a mockery, UEFA directive or otherwise.

when utd last won the champ league if my memory serves me right they weren't champions..its a cup comp far diff to a long league season so diff challenge whereby diff mindset and way of play,,whoever wins it wins it on merrit

Er not quite correct elav.

League Champions 2006/7 2007/8 2008/9

Champions League winners 2007/8.

You are getting mixed up with when United won the treble.1998/99.They didn’t win the League in 1997/98.

I’ve always favoured a return to the previous format of knockout for Champions only.

Er not quite correct elav.

League Champions 2006/7 2007/8 2008/9

Champions League winners 2007/8.

You are getting mixed up with when United won the treble.1998/99.They didn’t win the League in 1997/98.

I’ve always favoured a return to the previous format of knockout for Champions only.

cheers howjy ,I thought there was one . agree it should be for champions or maybe first 2 teams but not 3rd n 4th- but wouldn't take away the achievement for any one who wins it.

Wanted lfc for the league and spurs for champs league to freshen up the status quo and if any team becomes too dominant always in favour of them having some lean years.

Arsenal.lfc, utd and spurs generate their own funds - didn't mind city at first for their long loyal starved fans but now think they are tedius -- needs utd, arsenal, spurs to improve their squads and then the league and competition would be immense- Chelsea will eventually fall back

Pleased that Liverpool won after finishing 2nd in the league but my goodness it wasn't half dull. Didn't mind missing much of the 2nd half after 'watching' the 1st and the penalty decision killed it for me. If that had been given against the Vale in a friendly I'd have been annoyed but a game of this stature and with VAR it makes it a mockery, UEFA directive or otherwise.

one of those we would take in our favour but not against, although hoddles reaction in the studio was comedy gold especially after the match day ref, var voted in favour then backed up by the ref in the studio as a pen he so much didn't agree and didn't know where to look or which way to turn wonder what he would have said if it was in the lfc box--football don't you just love it..

strangely in the studio no one mention kanes dive suppose it didn't matter in the end..

I, personally long for the days when the main target of domestic football was to win the league, not just finish in the top four. As far as I am aware, there are no domestic awards for finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

European football should be an additional title, not the main aim. The Champions League is nothing but UEFA & TV Marketing.

If Utd, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, think that European football is the way to go, then just do that and go and join a so called European League. I for one would not miss any of them.

Archived