Sign in to follow this  
Aussie Rules

On this day in 1972...

The word “legend” is banded around too readily nowadays, but in Roy’s case it certainly fit the bill.

I watched Roy through the 60’s creeping ever closer to Jimmy Dickinson’s all time league appearances record hoping that he would get that accolade. Unfortunately he just fell short. What was even more remarkable was that both players were “one club” men.

Out of interest, below are the top five “one club” players with the most league appearances.

1. John Trollope. Swindon 770

2. Jimmy Dickinson. Portsmouth 764

3. Roy Sproson. Vale 761

4. Alan Knight. Portsmouth 683

5. Ryan Giggs. Man Utd 672

Ironically Terry Paine played 713 games for Southampton, but joined Hereford at the end of his career where he made a further 111 appearances.

Edited by RailwayRowdy

Me too!

I was in the Bycars mind you.

Great player and we'll never see his like again. It's so good to see the statute outside the main entrance.

If I'm not mistaken in that picture you can also see Horton, Tommy Mac, Morgan. Morris. And who is that on the left? Harris?

Haven't checked, honest. Just guesswork but I'm sure we can all reel off former teams and heroes we worshipped from the ramshackle terraces.

Me too!

I was in the Bycars mind you.

Great player and we'll never see his like again. It's so good to see the statute outside the main entrance.

If I'm not mistaken in that picture you can also see Horton, Tommy Mac, Morgan. Morris. And who is that on the left? Harris?

Haven't checked, honest. Just guesswork but I'm sure we can all reel off former teams and heroes we worshipped from the ramshackle terraces.

John Brodie (left) and think his name was Andy Peyton (behind Sammy Morgan). Think Bobby Gough is just visible behind Brodie.

John Brodie (left) and think his name was Andy Peyton (behind Sammy Morgan). Think Bobby Gough is just visible behind Brodie.

It was Bob Peyton. I was there too, in the Bycars.

You’re right Phil, Bob Peyton only made 2 appearances for the club, one as a substitute v Rotherham in April 1972 and then his only start v Rotherham in May 1972.

Edited by pjg1876

Ten days before this I saw my first ever Vale game - a 2-1 defeat at Notts County on a Wednesday evening. Sadly, Roy didn't play in that game so I never saw him in the flesh in Vale kit.

Blimey, Bob Peyton! I couldn't remember him if I'm honest.

I looked at the fella on the left for a while and thought Brodie, Gough and then Harris but I couldn't make up my mind.

I've had a gander at the team from that day and it brought back a lot of memories. Only 2700 there mind, a poor effort for the great man.

I bet that bl***y clock wasn't working above the tunnel!

I didn’t realise this until looking it up, but that was his only appearance of the season. If it was a “goodbye” match, it’s strange that it wasn’t the final match of the season against Rochdale 4 days later, also at Vale Park.

For all the old duffers (myself included) amongst us, here is the team on Spoey’s last appearance for Vale.

Ball, Brodie, Loska, Peyton, Cross, Sproson, Gough, Morris, McLaren, Morgan, Horton.

Although I’ve not been in the pub for 12 months or so, Micky Morris could be seen regularly propping up the bar in The Seabridge, Clayton !

PS I was on the Bycars that day also !

Edited by RailwayRowdy

Not the most gifted of teams but a lot of players there who I had an awful lot of time for, Sproson excluded in my list below.

Ball was in goal in our 69 promotion season under Lee.

Bobby Gough always had an eye for goal.

Morris would run all day for the team and always put in a shift.

Tommy Mac we all know about. Another one who was a Vale man through and through.

Morgan I think we signed from Gorleston Town and he got caps for NI with us didn't he? A few of us went to see him play at Wrexham I recall. Looked inoffensive but a hard player.

Brian Horton. Saw him on the day he signed from Hednesford and was bitterly upset when he left for Brighton. Excellent midfield player. All action, Great shot on him. Wonderful player for us and went on to bigger things of course.

We were pretty crap in those days but I remember them with great affection. Can't think why. We won nowt. Played in a rambling ground that was 9/10ths empty though you could walk round the pitch at half time and stand on the slag heap that was then the Hamil.

And if the tea bar had any tea left in that great rusty urn it was usually so strong and thick that most of it was poured away.

The word “legend” is banded around too readily nowadays, but in Roy’s case it certainly fit the bill.

I watched Roy through the 60’s creeping ever closer to Jimmy Dickinson’s all time league appearances record hoping that he would get that accolade. Unfortunately he just fell short. What was even more remarkable was that both players were “one club” men.

Out of interest, below are the top five “one club” players with the most league appearances.

1. John Trollope. Swindon 770

2. Jimmy Dickinson. Portsmouth 764

3. Roy Sproson. Vale 761

4. Alan Knight. Portsmouth 683

5. Ryan Giggs. Man Utd 672

Ironically Terry Paine played 713 games for Southampton, but joined Hereford at the end of his career where he made a further 111 appearances.

I remember thinking at the time, why didn’t he play for another 5 games to beat the record.

I didn’t realise this until looking it up, but that was his only appearance of the season. If it was a “goodbye” match, it’s strange that it wasn’t the final match of the season against Rochdale 4 days later, also at Vale Park.

For all the old duffers (myself included) amongst us, here is the team on Spoey’s last appearance for Vale.

Ball, Brodie, Loska, Peyton, Cross, Sproson, Gough, Morris, McLaren, Morgan, Horton.

Although I’ve not been in the pub for 12 months or so, Micky Morris could be seen regularly propping up the bar in The Seabridge, Clayton !

PS I was on the Bycars that day also !

I must be an old duffer as well, I was on the Bycars that day also.

Not the most gifted of teams but a lot of players there who I had an awful lot of time for, Sproson excluded in my list below.

Tommy Mac we all know about. Another one who was a Vale man through and through.

Morgan I think we signed from Gorleston Town and he got caps for NI with us didn't he? A few of us went to see him play at Wrexham I recall. Looked inoffensive but a hard player.

Brian Horton. Saw him on the day he signed from Hednesford and was bitterly upset when he left for Brighton. Excellent midfield player. All action, Great shot on him. Wonderful player for us and went on to bigger things of course.

We were pretty crap in those days but I remember them with great affection. Can't think why. We won nowt. Played in a rambling ground that was 9/10ths empty though you could walk round the pitch at half time and stand on the slag heap that was then the Hamil.

And if the tea bar had any tea left in that great rusty urn it was usually so strong and thick that most of it was poured away.

Was Johnny James before or after this time, also John Flowers and Billy Summerscales.

Was Johnny James before or after this time, also John Flowers and Billy Summerscales.

John Flowers before. John James and Billy Summerscales were there. I was proud to inherited his training kit No. 6. the following season when I signed.

John Flowers before. John James and Billy Summerscales were there. I was proud to inherited his training kit No. 6. the following season when I signed.

Cheers Ray.

As Pops says, John Flowers was late 60’s. John “Jesse” James was top scorer in the 69/70 promotion season and left Vale in ‘71. Bill Summerscales (whose brother John broke my ankle in a Sunday morning game) had a few appearances in 70/1 & 71/2, but became a regular the following season. Didn’t he break his neck playing for Vale ?

“Jesse” James was the front cover photo on the Vale programme one season. I excitedly told my mother, who didn’t understand the connection between Vale and a western cowboy !

:doh:

As my name says i always stood on the hamil with programme in hand waiting for the half time scores been put on the ABC letter boards on the running track in front of the lorne street Then we went posh and put a metal structure in the corner off hamil.Those were the days where my love of this club started and will never ever fade.

As Pops says, John Flowers was late 60’s. John “Jesse” James was top scorer in the 69/70 promotion season and left Vale in ‘71. Bill Summerscales (whose brother John broke my ankle in a Sunday morning game) had a few appearances in 70/1 & 71/2, but became a regular the following season. Didn’t he break his neck playing for Vale ?

“Jesse” James was the front cover photo on the Vale programme one season. I excitedly told my mother, who didn’t understand the connection between Vale and a western cowboy !

:doh:

Not quite correct. John Flowers was 70s definitely not 60s. He signed in 1971. John James left in 73. John Woodward was signed as his replacement. Bill Summerscales did break his neck in 1974 but he recovered to play more games.before leaving us for Rochdale in 1975 along with Tony Lacey. That squad was full of good honest professionals. There were some changes at the end of that season. Sproson, Morris, Sharratt, Flowers, Peyton all left. As noted above our big marque summer signing was Ray Williams.

Great memories Sage, you've missed out two excellent players from that team in my opinion Johnny King and Ronnie Wilson, thinking about it every one of that team would scrap to the the death and thinking about Wrexham they generally did :wink: Hard as nails that team Lee only used 16 players that season if my memory serves me right.

Horton and Morgan didn't figure in Lee's promotion team they came later in the 3rd Div.