onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Bristol Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Thank goodness we are out of that disgrace of a competition.

Would have been a blot on our history had we made it to Wembley with the competition in its current guise.

Scab competition.

I'd forgotten just what a pompous arse you are. How about the league? Should we try in that your holiness? Please bless us with your opinion.

Advert

Not sure we're 'embarrassing' by following our team in hope of a win/trip to Wembley/the possibility of some silverware, however slim that is.

I don't agree with the format either, but even if you don't want to support us in this competition, there is also the slim chance that winning prize money reduces the loans to NS, which in turn could hopefully see him lower his price, & sell up/leave earlier than planned (he definitely isn't reinvesting it anyway).

All long shots, but I wouldn't insult other fans' support, or call them embarrassing because they want to go and watch us. We should take all the support we can get in any game right now.

See you at the next Sentinel cup game then

See you at the next Sentinel cup game then

That’s the long and short of it sadly, it’s all about short term greed and fake glory - stuff the consequences of the future of football league clubs.

Why fans would turn a blind eye to the potential damage this will cause to the future of lower league football is really baffling. It’s like a few (thankfully it remains a small number) have had their heads turned by a trip to Wembley in a crass and potentially very dangerous competition.

God that was dreadful, I mean utterly dreadful. In fairness, even though they are suffering in the league above, football wise, they were miles superior.

Time and time again they waltzed through our midfield who to a man looked utterly disjointed and rudderless, had more space than surely even they must have imagined possible, and for the umpteenth time this season, they slaughtered us down the left over and over again.

You cant blame Brown for any part of tonight's humiliation, but someone really could have reminded him, we were playing one up front and he's actually small, so why oh why was he continually blasting so many long balls, which was already coming back quick enough on its own throughout the game, so did you really need to help them?

The tactics were poor, and though for ten minutes we tried to press higher up the pitch, when we had possession the final ball was....well, umm, erm...........in fact cancel all that, on reflection, there was no final ball, like ever!

Miller will at least now know exactly what Pope goes through every match, as like the skipper the lad got zilch service, and even less support. You have to ask, what happened to Aspins promise to push players on to support him, in fact the tactics Neil used throughout were at best beyond poor, beyond naive, and at worse totally non existent,if anyone can nominate a player, any player (Smith apart who at least looked solid) who looked even remotely comfortable out there tonight, I'll force myself to watch it all over again!

Despite the lack of tactics, all of which Aspin is culpable for as that's his job, what he couldn't legislate or control was the disastrous performances of so many players in the same match with Vassel, Rawlinson, Kay, Manny, Conlon, all dire, and the rest in fairness weren't that much better either.

So poor were we, it begs the question what the hell could he have said to them beforehand? No one seemed to know what to do, what their roles were, what areas to protect, move into-or when, the marking at time was Sunday morning standard, and simply put we were sh it!

I appreciate they are a league up, but even though we have some bloody dire performances this season, hand on heart that was, and by some way the worse by a country mile.

As for Conlon, how reckless, how stupid can you be lad, and only a couple of minutes after getting booked, deary, deary me!

Spot on but it could have looked as bad as it was had the 2 that hit the post had gone in. After 50+ years of watching the Vale it’s awful watching it’s demise

Really showed how far we have fallen since Smurf took over.2 to 3 years ago we would have been beating sides like Bristol Rovers.Anyone who thought we were playing well before the sending off is deluded.We should have been more goals down with the chances they missed.How many chances did we have?Cant remember their keeper making a save.Vassell is a liability and seemed to be tackling our own players instead of theirs.How Elliott improves the team I cannot see that he is as good as any we have just got rid of.We need recognised league players who improve the team not chancers who are just making up the numbers.At least get a couple of decent players on loan until the end of the season.At least we are not wasting £900 a week on Dodds.

I wonder if the 3-4-3 formation would be made better (more mobile) with manny in place of Kay or Joyce and someone like Worral to the right of Miller in the front 3. He played in that role in preseason at halifax and it worked well I thought.

Watched all the game up to the sending off and penalty shortly after .

Here are my marks on what i witnessed .

Brown 7

Vassell 3 Rawlinson 3 Smith 4 Clark 2

Oyeleke 1 Kay1 Hannant 2 Joyce 1 Miller 2 .

Was a whole lot of nothing .

First goal Kay lets there player get wrong side of him and he travels another 20 yards with Smith just standing there and get his shot away so 2 players fault then .

Up until the goal they looked a nothing side also then the rest of the game ,we couldnt pass ,we couldnt tackle ,we were slow as and a shambles in general with no leaders on the pitch just a load of what seemed to me unmotivated and couldnt be arsed bunch of players thrown together .

A very poor nights work i just couldnt understand why the dangle of the carrot called Wembley didnt bring out a Rudge type performance from the players .

It was worse than under Sinnott and i saw the majority of them lousy displays.

Really showed how far we have fallen since Smurf took over.2 to 3 years ago we would have been beating sides like Bristol Rovers.Anyone who thought we were playing well before the sending off is deluded.We should have been more goals down with the chances they missed.How many chances did we have?Cant remember their keeper making a save.Vassell is a liability and seemed to be tackling our own players instead of theirs.How Elliott improves the team I cannot see that he is as good as any we have just got rid of.We need recognised league players who improve the team not chancers who are just making up the numbers.At least get a couple of decent players on loan until the end of the season.At least we are not wasting £900 a week on Dodds.

And there it is....the customary Dodds pop !!!

Ernie we have far far bigger worries than a great servant to our club who may of gone back or may not of .

Just leave it now, he has not affected this season one iota

I wonder if the 3-4-3 formation would be made better (more mobile) with manny in place of Kay or Joyce and someone like Worral to the right of Miller in the front 3. He played in that role in preseason at halifax and it worked well I thought.

If last night was a 3-4-3 then Neil completely fooled me, as it implies that when going forward that even if the midfield stay static we would have at least two supporting our lone striker, who to me was totally isolated. True Miller contributed nothing, but at least, unlike some there is genuine mitigation.

I do agree with with the comments people are making about Vassell and Kay though, the former was bloody awful, and the latter, as indeed happened several times Saturday, loses the ball in all the worse possible areas and because his legs are not what they were once were, when doing so he's out of the game as he just can't track back quickly enough. Haven't seen the replay yet, but am pretty sure a perfect example of this came with their first goal.

Playing a 3-4-3 needs willing, it needs commitment, both from the players to do so and from the manager to allow them to do so, and whoever the three are, should be abetted by at least one central midfield player and they all have to bust a gut to get forward (and back) when we are in possession and last night it simply didn't happen...at all.

3-4-3 may have been the pre-kick off intention, but once the match began, unlike Saturday when it did happen, it was as far as one is likley to get from being so.

It also demonstrated to me, even though Aspin had him on the naughty step for three months, just how important Gibbo has become, be that at RB or wing back, and how much we now miss the energy he provides.

I also wonder if Legge has now been dispatched to the same naughty step, as in just two weeks, he has evidently gone from being a defensive rock to an used sub, and whilst I don't mean to be rude to any player, but unless injured, to see Vassell picked in front of him is utter madness!

And there it is....the customary Dodds pop !!!

Ernie we have far far bigger worries than a great servant to our club who may of gone back or may not of .

Just leave it now, he has not affected this season one iota

To be fair it is £900 a week Aspin could have wasted somewhere else. That’s 50k practically over a year he could have put into signing a better player to replace some of the god awful crap he currently likes in his first team.

To be fair it is £900 a week Aspin could have wasted somewhere else. That’s 50k practically over a year he could have put into signing a better player to replace some of the god awful crap he currently likes in his first team.

To be fair he didn't want Dodds and went for Waters, however after visiting the club, I presume the wage cap Smurf introduced stopped him signing mate

Archived