onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Bury

Fosse69

By half time yesterday I was ragging. Our negative set up was too negative. We played a flat back 5 and it was hardly surprising that we had little opportunities. I felt for both Pope and Miller who received zero service. I do feel that Miller should have been looking for the ball more. We were fortunate as it could have easily have been 2 nil at half time as they missed 2 sitters. As our full backs were not pushing on it meant that the likes of Hannant were finding themselves out wide which meant we then we were outnumbered in the middle.

The second half was much improved providing we actually passed the ball rather than hoofing it up the pitch. Pushing Clark further forward was a big help. I'd have liked to have seen Gibbons on instead of Vassell to be more attacking. However with 11 players behind the ball (and in our area) Vassells height was probably an advantage.

It was an excellent defensive performance but parking the bus at home can't be the way forward and I hope Aspin can develop this system to become more attacking which will give our forwards more service.

I know there has been talk on here about what is entertaining. Well Rob Pages tactics were a lot more entertaining that Aspin. I think we realise that some serious changes needed to be made following Lincoln, but if we continue to play like this for the coming months additional pressure will be added. I hope we can push on and develop this system as we have the players to do so.

Why will additional pressure be added? When was the last time we went 4 unbeaten without conceding a goal?

Advert

Won the games at Oldham and against Bury through resilience and taking one of a small number of chances.

Yesterday Bury had 60% posession, 22 shots but only 4 on target with 7 blocked by defenders.

We had 40% 5 shots with 1 on target.

So we won because we have a good striker in Pope. Rightly man of the match.

The only thing I will add that performances of our ilk are not sustainable, and we will not continue to accrue points.

They're getting the job done as of now, but as people have said, going in to these easier games, there needs to be a re-think, as fundamentally conceding as many shots as we are and having so few inevitably leads to worse results (can link the statistical analysis if anyoen disbelieves).

I would bring Gibbons back in soon, and start Whitfield and Miller off Pope.

The only thing I will add that performances of our ilk are not sustainable, and we will not continue to accrue points.

They're getting the job done as of now, but as people have said, going in to these easier games, there needs to be a re-think, as fundamentally conceding as many shots as we are and having so few inevitably leads to worse results (can link the statistical analysis if anyoen disbelieves).

Hagrid....I agree....they are not sustainable and at half time yesterday I was wondering by how many we'd get beat. BUT for the time being they are doing a job and hopefully Aspo will evolve his tactics over this next run of games. We'll see........

My thoughts yesterday was that we needed to get to half time to make changes. Bury controlled midfield and had a threat on the edge of the box. So we needed to be closer to them, needed an extra man in midfield and to retain possession needed get the fullbacks up the pitch so there are more options.

So defence was great in a last ditch sense. But Bury were dribbling and passing deep into our box time after time. Ironically if Pope was playing for them, or any other good finisher, we would have lost that game and possibly by several goals.

Aspin and the team need to grind out a few results to get up the table. But we need to evolve. We need a player like Whitfield to score with the chance he got. We need to strategically be better in midfield and we need to retain the defensive resilience.

This idea that we start with a negative set up and play negatively is not right in my opinion. Yesterday we had Pope and Miller on the pitch at the start and for the first 10 minutes we attacked them. Indeed at one point I actually shouted tongue in cheek, this is far too negative, Aspin. Bury gradually pushed us back and took over in the first half because they had players who are better on the ball than ours and keep possession very well. We won the game not because we were lucky but because we defended like demons and had the one guy on the pitch who knew where the net was. If Tom Pope had been wearing a Bury shirt yesterday we'd have lost that game.

In addition to Tom's goal we had a clear penalty not given and Ben Whitfield created then missed the target with a pretty straightforward one on one. Possession is irrelevant if you do nowt with it and can't break down a well organised defence.

If we’re lucky then we’ve now been lucky for over 270 minutes of league football. That will do for me - we can intellectualise and apologise for everything but 3 points is 3 points. When and if it all goes wrong then that is for another day.

This idea that we start with a negative set up and play negatively is not right in my opinion. Yesterday we had Pope and Miller on the pitch at the start and for the first 10 minutes we attacked them. Indeed at one point I actually shouted tongue in cheek, this is far too negative, Aspin. Bury gradually pushed us back and took over in the first half because they had players who are better on the ball than ours and keep possession very well. We won the game not because we were lucky but because we defended like demons and had the one guy on the pitch who knew where the net was. If Tom Pope had been wearing a Bury shirt yesterday we'd have lost that game.

In addition to Tom's goal we had a clear penalty not given and Ben Whitfield created then missed the target with a pretty straightforward one on one. Possession is irrelevant if you do nowt with it and can't break down a well organised defence.

Sums up how I saw it. Only surprise was that none of our players appealed for the penalty - must have looked different close up than how it seemed from the stands

If we’re lucky then we’ve now been lucky for over 270 minutes of league football. That will do for me - we can intellectualise and apologise for everything but 3 points is 3 points. When and if it all goes wrong then that is for another day.

Winners are always lucky Realism.Long Live Luck.

1) we are taking a pragmatic approach based on players available. With Manny and Monty out we do not have the players to go hung ho and chase a game if we concede first

2) no system is guaranteed to yield points week after week. We do not have many goals in the current squad, so lower scoring games will benefit us.

3) which of the defenders actually deserves to be dropped for Gibbo, unless this just falls under the anti Smith agenda? Sadly I expect Clark will be recalled in January, so no doubt he will have the opportunity to stake his claim then.

They broke us down a fair few times but missed their chances. I’d say we were lucky yesterday similar to the Exeter game. They did do stuff with the ball and we were extremely negative first half. I don’t see how that can be seen to be different. Just because two forwards started dosent automatically make it positive. We did defend very very well but we did have a fair bit of luck to go with it.

The players are getting more and more confidence with each good result. N.Aspin has them giving 101% for him.

If they do the same in the next game against Notts County it will be ten points out of a possible twelve and that will do for me.

Vale are edging further away from relegation and heading towards the top.

I agree that a game with a better attacking mode will produce goals from open play and be more entertaining for the spectators.

Archived