onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Middlesbrough U21s

Fosse69

IMO we should be using these games to get a system of playing in place with one eye on saturdays game too. No good playing a raft of players, getting a bit of confidence and then throwing all that out the window the following Saturday.

Aspin and Co should know their line up by now. They should have several plans to cover injuries. Aspin says he knows his first team - but injuries are against him. Do they not know another line up yet and as such are now tinkering with players. It does not give you much hope that they know side b and c or that they are looking like this is happening at this point of the season.

We are all confused - what are the players thinking come match day. Do they see his plan a couple of days before, so they can practice it or is it just before kick off. One good thing, the opposition must also be wondering what player will be playing where - but they know it will be players playing out of position.

Advert

the competition doesn't mean anything but some of the players in this starting 11 will play at Oldham on Saturday so they need to be played in the positions they should be, we need to get some confidence back and build for Saturday

Hornby

Rawlinson smith vassell clark

Worrall pugh hardcastle hannant

dodds miller

we've shown this season when we try to set up to defend and be negative we still get beat when we've set up 4-4-2 and attacked teams more we've looked a better team we need to get back to that way of thinking and get at Oldham on Saturday I think i'd go with

brown

Rawlinson legge smith clark

whitfield kay conlon hannant

kanu Quigley/pope

I wouldn't change the defence to much they have looked strong but its the midfield that need to attack more get down the wings better the forwards need to work the defence run them ragged get the ball into good position and get good balls into the box conlon drifting up for any lose balls get at them and press press press

Judging by the recent updates in the Sentinel we could see Joyce and Gibbons back tonight. We just need to be careful that we don't have another Monty situation and any inujred players that come back aren't overloaded too much. With that in mind we could start with:

Hornby

Gibbons Rawlinson Smith Clark

Worrall Joyce Hardcastle Hannant

Dodds

Miller

Trouble is Steve, with injuries (physical & psychological) and suspensions 'correct positions' right now seems a bridge too far.

I don't think it is a bridge too far. The only position thats affected by injuries where we can't go like for like has been both full back positions, otherwise we have players who can play the other roles, its just that Aspin chose not to use them.

we've shown this season when we try to set up to defend and be negative we still get beat when we've set up 4-4-2 and attacked teams more we've looked a better team we need to get back to that way of thinking and get at Oldham on Saturday I think i'd go with

brown

Rawlinson legge smith clark

whitfield kay conlon hannant

kanu Quigley/pope

I wouldn't change the defence to much they have looked strong but its the midfield that need to attack more get down the wings better the forwards need to work the defence run them ragged get the ball into good position and get good balls into the box conlon drifting up for any lose balls get at them and press press press

Strong is not a word i'd personally use to describe our defence.

Ok up to a few games ago, steady enough, shipped in 10 in last 3 games.

And how Smith gets in everyone's side is baffling. Then again we all have different views that is what the forum is for.

Pointless sham of a competition. Shame as it was ok before the shenanigans of the greed is good league.

With the group format it can mean dead rubbers.

I'm sure i read that Yeovils' last game, both sides are already out. Who on earth would attend that.

I'd be absolutely torn if we did get to the final because since this format was introduced i haven't been to a single game.

Straight knockout worked but they can't resist tinkering. Memorable penalty shootout win at Walsall where Super Sam Johnson had his finest hour.

This format is a shambles

Wonder what line up Aspin and Co will come out with. Goalie will be the main striker tonight me thinks.

Think it will be very defensive - well only in word. Actions will be - let the opposition win all the headers in the box and let them shoot at our over worked Goalie.

Judging by the recent updates in the Sentinel we could see Joyce and Gibbons back tonight. We just need to be careful that we don't have another Monty situation and any inujred players that come back aren't overloaded too much. With that in mind we could start with:

Hornby

Gibbons Rawlinson Smith Clark

Worrall Joyce Hardcastle Hannant

Dodds

Miller

I don't think it is a bridge too far. The only position thats affected by injuries where we can't go like for like has been both full back positions, otherwise we have players who can play the other roles, its just that Aspin chose not to use them.

That team is stronger than the one we put out against Lincoln even including the injuries. Hardcastle, Dodds, Gibbo, Worall and Joyce should be playing for a place in the starting lineup for Saturday.

Hannant and Clarke should be playing Saturday anyway with Conlon, Pope, Legge and Brown. That leaves 5 positions up for grabs!

That team is stronger than the one we put out against Lincoln even including the injuries. Hardcastle, Dodds, Gibbo, Worall and Joyce should be playing for a place in the starting lineup for Saturday.

Hannant and Clarke should be playing Saturday anyway with Conlon, Pope, Legge and Brown. That leaves 5 positions up for grabs!

Its certainly a more sensible line up in terms of the positions they are playing in. I reckon tonights game if Gibbons plays is just for some fitness, by the sounds of it hes hardly trained, that needs managing better than Monty was managed for example. Not sure about Joyce, I think his was more illness than injury.

Given Saturdays horror show I'd agree that maybe 5 positions are up for grabs for the next league game. Right back, right wing, centre half, centre mid and number ten. With players like Hannant going to his usual left wing and Clark going left back.

Agreed, however, I do think Ben Whitfield should be playing also! So make that 4 positions up for grabs.

It all depends. With no Miller its a fair chance Kanu will start again up front. I'd also hazard a guess that one of either Worrall or Whitfield will start on the right. Meaning we will have little options for channging things from the bench, unless players like Gibbons (if hes fit enough), Worrall or Whitfield come on later to add more energy down the flanks.

Given Millers ban on Saturday I think he'll start tonight.

Archived