onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

I can't see how we can fit Dodds, Pope and Miller into the team.

We don’t have to. Dodds will possibly fill his traditional Vale role of coming off the bench, which he did even in league 2 last time round.

The only era where he always started was in the early League 2 era under Sinnott/Adams and the Page later on.

Dodds should not be starting in an attacking role. His best ever performances in my view were as an attacking midfielder supporting a lone striker, traditionally just behind Pope.

He was a good player in that role but as an out and out striker he was poor and memories of him on the wing are worse. There was one Brentford away game when he lost the ball 10 consecutive times trying to bomb down the wing. That was dreadful to watch. I think it was the same one Robbie Williams turned up to if memory serves?

Whilst there is strength in the argument that Dodds wasn't a first choice starter over periods of his time at Vale he started more games than he came on as sub in every season he was at the club. At times it was true he was first choice cover in a number of positions, so played in a variety of roles during those seasons. Rather than is traditional role on the bench it's probably truer to say his main role for periods of time was filling in for injured players.

Advert

Usually I'm miserable as sin, but even after the **** show that occurred last season I'm suddenly feeling much more optimistic and enthusiastic about what we could achieve next season. Here's a few reasons why, and feel free to share your own,

- We now have what will be one of the better goalkeepers in the league in Scott Brown.

- Our spine of the team. Brown, Legge, Smith, Oyeleke, Joyce, Pope and Miller on paper is as good as anything we've had for years in fairness.

- If, and it is an if at this moment in time, Miller can get back to his Dover form, there won't be many, if any better partnerships up front than him and Pope

- Our first 11 and squad is already looking better than it has done for a while, with more signings (at least loanees) still to come.

He's pretty close to a guaranteed start you'd think. Formation unclear but I'd think the following will play in the first game:

Brown, Gibbons, Smith, Legge, Montano, Joyce, Worrall, Hannat, Pope.

Take your pick over the last two places and formation.

I think you’re pretty much there with that list.

One I’ve wondered about though is Smith. Having watched the Rawlinson Youtube video, I was impressed with his pace and ability to bring the ball out into midfield, where we may be playing with just two if Miller and Popeystart up front together. The yewth can also pick a pass and would be a formidable unit at the back with Legge (who stands more than a chance of being captain). I’m sure Rawlinson in his own mind hasn’t come to fill the bench.

We’ll have to see but it illustrates well the kind of competition we’ll have for places, a welcome change from last season.

I think you’re pretty much there with that list.

One I’ve wondered about though is Smith. Having watched the Rawlinson Youtube video, I was impressed with his pace and ability to bring the ball out into midfield, where we may be playing with just two if Miller and Popeystart up front together. The yewth can also pick a pass and would be a formidable unit at the back with Legge (who stands more than a chance of being captain). I’m sure Rawlinson in his own mind hasn’t come to fill the bench.

We’ll have to see but it illustrates well the kind of competition we’ll have for places, a welcome change from last season.

Medium term you could be right. He can also play rightback. I think there'd need to be clear blue water between him and Smith over preseason and I can't see that as Smith is a good defender, even if performance were slightly down last year. He's guaranteed to get his chance as centrehalves always get injured and suspended.

Who knows what role and expectations Neil has discussed with each player specifically and the team generally for the forthcoming campaign? Arguing whether Lois will/will not be a first teamer, squad member, bench warmer or half time drinks carrier is, in my opinion, a fruitless exercise.

Lois is here and only he and the team will know what will be expected from him.

Don't talk with that amount of common sense, please, Oz!:laugh::wink:

If all these players who Aspin has signed have the heart and committment and never say die attitude he displayed in many games i saw against better players than league two and one standard then PVFC will be moving in the right direction.

Its about desire ,the desire to better yourself for example last season when a very good away following came to Vale we produced our best most passionate displays the secret is to do it against the 80 away fans where self motivation is more evident and has be shown has you only have a few voices who dont want you do well .

Aspins a winner and the signing of Miller has got me interested again .

I hope he is more terrific than average and does a great job as i do all the new players .

It would be nice to start season with 7 new players in bew positions asi believe 4 of them are already winners but id like c Worrall be as motivated as he was v Chesterfield every game not just whenhe feels like it .

Montanos going get bums off seats he wants take players on and the way he went around 3 chesterfield players on one burst in the home game was even though it didnt result in a goal one of my highlights of the season .

Thats how bad we were when you remembering that moment .

UTV Hannant Pope the other defo starters v Cambridge

No not really. If he was genuinely idle Adams would have got shot because he always demanded effort, more than ability at times. Equally if he was that great he wouldn't be joining the 3rd worst club left in the league after last season.

Does that mean that all the players who have joined us are pants?

Nah Utd fans don’t welcome back poor players with a festival of fanfare and pink specs memories of goalscoring that never happened.

If I recall, they did get excited about paying a world record fee for the return of a bloke they'd given away and who has turned out to be a bit of a damp squib?

If I recall, they did get excited about paying a world record fee for the return of a bloke they'd given away and who has turned out to be a bit of a damp squib?

Yeah but he had gone away and lit up serie A, and played in a champions league final too, not played at a team relegated from the football league and sat on the bench for a year and a half

Yeah but he had gone away and lit up serie A, and played in a champions league final too, not played at a team relegated from the football league and sat on the bench for a year and a half

Would you pay £90 million for him now?

Archived