onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Lincoln City

melv

U very rarely have folk who are upbeat on them after match phone ins ,sometimes i listen and think yeah you were right about the match but what do you expect when the crowd is so unsupportive .

Our crowd isnt its very supportive as long as players are putting a shift in they will all as a one encourage and its what ive always loved about the Vale support its passionate its up for it and its vocal .

Watched Malaga last night there fans were magnificent they are 17 points adrift at bottom of spanish league .

You can keep your whatever home support goes to Old Trafford for me as there was little to no encouragement from most inside that ground yesterday .

Love Vale fans i do i dont want listen to fans who dont go games as what right have they got comment on something they havent seen .

When the opposition have brought a decent amount of followers the Vale contingent have being magnificent.

They deserve better .

UTV

Advert

Saturday was a really interesting watch. Two sides who I feel are pretty similar in playing style and personnel. Lincoln, understandably after 18 months on an upward trajectory, looked more assured and confident in their plan but I'm hoping we can get to that point as Aspin has more and more influence on the side.

The defence looked more settled with Hornby behind them, and whilst he will get the plaudits for his terrific save near the end, he also commanded his area and well throughout. Joe Davis had a Joe Davis match, where he looks like he's won a competition to play, but I do feel that he is not a full back and can be utlised as a back-up for our centre halves next season given he's under contract. Otherwise, the defence were very good, especially Smith (who martialed Rhead very well) and Gibbons (who convinced me with that performance that he is going to have a good career).

Kay grew into the game and was exceptional in the 2nd half in dictating play, and Hannant has the makings of a real crowd favourite. He's starting to express himself now instead of simply hassling the opposition - that chip was sublime and had it gone on would've been a late runner in goal of the season.

My only annoyance is that we seem to be able only to pull out these performances against the better opposition. To beat Luton. Lincoln and Coventry at home without conceding a goal, and only conceding three shots on target in the process, is exceptional. However, it's alarming that our standard can drop so dramatically from week to week and surely this is a mentality thing? Consistency is the key to success and we need to adopt the attitude we showed on Saturday every week to be at the right end of the table. The performance in general has left me feeling fairly optimistic for next season though, and happy that we have a predominantly young, some homegrown, side who are hungry to succeed and learn.

Saturday was a really interesting watch. Two sides who I feel are pretty similar in playing style and personnel. Lincoln, understandably after 18 months on an upward trajectory, looked more assured and confident in their plan but I'm hoping we can get to that point as Aspin has more and more influence on the side.

The defence looked more settled with Hornby behind them, and whilst he will get the plaudits for his terrific save near the end, he also commanded his area and well throughout. Joe Davis had a Joe Davis match, where he looks like he's won a competition to play, but I do feel that he is not a full back and can be utlised as a back-up for our centre halves next season given he's under contract. Otherwise, the defence were very good, especially Smith (who martialed Rhead very well) and Gibbons (who convinced me with that performance that he is going to have a good career).

Kay grew into the game and was exceptional in the 2nd half in dictating play, and Hannant has the makings of a real crowd favourite. He's starting to express himself now instead of simply hassling the opposition - that chip was sublime and had it gone on would've been a late runner in goal of the season.

My only annoyance is that we seem to be able only to pull out these performances against the better opposition. To beat Luton. Lincoln and Coventry at home without conceding a goal, and only conceding three shots on target in the process, is exceptional. However, it's alarming that our standard can drop so dramatically from week to week and surely this is a mentality thing? Consistency is the key to success and we need to adopt the attitude we showed on Saturday every week to be at the right end of the table. The performance in general has left me feeling fairly optimistic for next season though, and happy that we have a predominantly young, some homegrown, side who are hungry to succeed and learn.

Great post!

To be fair to Joe he was up against Danny Rowe, who in my opinion was the best man on the pitch until he went off injured.

We seem to have a better chance of winning against teams that come to win, whereas teams that park the bus for a draw sometimes snatch a win. The better atmosphere against the bigger teams, with more fans, also helps. Hopefully next season we will be playing teams that raise their game against us as frontrunners.

The issue is against sides like your Yeovil and Morecambes our lumbering midfield struggles to break them down and they are the type of sides that will sit in and defend long balls all day.

Against more expansive attacking sides like Luton for example they will come and leave space for us as they look to win so slow players like Tonge or Pugh who are good on the ball then get more space in front of them to pick the pass and dictate better.

Interestingly Lincoln reports mentioned how they were over run in midfield which is something you wouldn’t expect with Tonge and Kay in there! They were more open and yes Tonge and Kay may not have the pace they used to but you never lose the quality on the ball certainly in Tonge and Pughs case who had made a very good career for themselves in the game higher up.

Great post, fully agree with your comments about consistency.

Under Aspo this squad has shown the ability to compete and beat the best in this fairly poor league. This was a squad with 5 points from 12 games when he took over.

Given his signings of Hannant and Howkins look very decent, I look forward to seeing what he and his team can do with an entire summer, with decent backing, and no pressure. Another 5 lads to complete the first 11 and then some depth, and hopefully we can turn around this horrendous couple of years we've endured.

Those who think Aspin isn't the answer really do need to get an idea on how football works as i have said all along,with this team who most have said is the worst squad in a very long time ago he has still managed to only lose one more than he has won an unbelievable achievement imo with more improvement next season(IF BACKED TO DO SO)... in Aspin i do most certainly trust.

Keep up the good work skully

Archived